Why James Beattie didn’t come with Garry Monk

27 minutes ago, Great Big Galaa said:

He deserves sod all chance. He's another Jos and it's about time we stopped giving chances to these useless tw@ts that can't man manage the squad they have plus play f***ing sticking pins in your eyes football. Go and get Lowe before it's too f***ing late.

I get that you don’t rate Monk and that’s fair enough but what makes you think Ryan Lowe would be a success here?

Zero management experience at this level, not much management experience at any other level either.

Given the mess we are in at the minute, if we were to replace Monk I’d want us to get somebody in with a bit more experience. Given our problems with FFP, potential points deduction coming, players on big contracts not performing, numerous players out of contract soon meaning a partial (if not complete) rebuild is required over the Summer, rumours that the manager might not have 100% say on transfers and having to work for Dejphon Chansiri, I really don’t think this is a job for a young manager to “cut his teeth” at.

4 hours ago, mogbad said:

So we demand compensation from Newcastle for Bruce & his 2 assistants but won't pay compensation to Birmingham for one of Monks coaches.

Bit different if Beattie is on gardening leave rather than actually working for Birmingham,

Guest LondonOwl313
17 minutes ago, TrickyTrev said:

I get that you don’t rate Monk and that’s fair enough but what makes you think Ryan Lowe would be a success here?

Zero management experience at this level, not much management experience at any other level either.

Given the mess we are in at the minute, if we were to replace Monk I’d want us to get somebody in with a bit more experience. Given our problems with FFP, potential points deduction coming, players on big contracts not performing, numerous players out of contract soon meaning a partial (if not complete) rebuild is required over the Summer, rumours that the manager might not have 100% say on transfers and having to work for Dejphon Chansiri, I really don’t think this is a job for a young manager to “cut his teeth” at.

He’s had two promotions from League 2 already with Bury and Plymouth.. granted he’s got no experience higher up and would be a punt. But I’m fast coming round to thinking that kind of appointment might be right for us. Seems unlikely we can find another Bruce type, plus we need to avoid managers with a track record of failure like Monk

1 minute ago, LondonOwl313 said:

He’s had two promotions from League 2 already with Bury and Plymouth.. granted he’s got no experience higher up and would be a punt. But I’m fast coming round to thinking that kind of appointment might be right for us. Seems unlikely we can find another Bruce type, plus we need to avoid managers with a track record of failure like Monk

1) He's an ex player. If he wasn't nobody on here would be talking about him/putting him forward
2) It's such a Danny Wilson style proposition it's scary anyone would even consider Lowe as an option

Owlstalk Shop

2 hours ago, WalthamOwl said:

And from the reports we got a hell of a lot of compo. Ridiculous we wouldn’t pay some to get who Monk wanted. 

We wanted compensation because Newcastle took 3 coaches from us who we wanted to keep in the job. The article suggests that rather than get rid of Beattie, or keep him working, Birmingham are paying him but don't want him at the club which is an entirely different situation.

The report suggests Bettie had 2 years left on this contract at the start of this season, reports are that Monk has a rolling 1-year contract with us. Why should we look to pay up the remaining two years of Beattie's contract or the seemingly higher compensation that Birmingham would want if we could well be looking to get rid of Monk inside two years? We would then effectively be in the same position Birmingham are with him now - paying a coach for nothing.

Monk will have known the situation when he signed and if he needed Beattie or anyone else he should have insisted on it from the start, as it is he seems to have backed himself.

Besides which, is there anything in the coaching career of James Beattie that suggests he would have made all the difference? Birmingham were that impressed with him that they are paying him not to coach! 

Guest LondonOwl313
8 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

1) He's an ex player. If he wasn't nobody on here would be talking about him/putting him forward
2) It's such a Danny Wilson style proposition it's scary anyone would even consider Lowe as an option

Because he played for us that gives him a profile yes.. but I'm sure there are a few others like him we could consider who we don't know of without researching. 

And I'm sure Wilson wouldn't have been a bad appointment if we were in the Championship at the time. The Premier League and expensive foreign players with egos was too much for him. We are no longer in that position so are more readily able to build without having to worry about relegation.

9 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

I suppose it depends what your aims are. If we wanted a complete restart to buidl with a younger group, looking at players from the lower leagues then it might be an option but would be much more of a starting position if we were a League One club, which I hope not to see again.

At this level it would be too much of a gamble in my opinion, as you say a bit like the Danny Wilson era as he would be managing players with bigger egos having had no such experience. Ipswich tried it recently and it isn't working out too well for them.

1 minute ago, LondonOwl313 said:

Because he played for us that gives him a profile yes.. but I'm sure there are a few others like him we could consider who we don't know of without researching. 

And I'm sure Wilson wouldn't have been a bad appointment if we were in the Championship at the time. The Premier League and expensive foreign players with egos was too much for him. We are no longer in that position so are more readily able to build without having to worry about relegation.

You don't think that some of the squad we have currently have egos that would expect (and probably need) a manager with more experience at this level?

More likely to go badly wrong than right at this level in my opinion.

4 minutes ago, LondonOwl313 said:

I'm not so sure about that mate

Owlstalk Shop

Guest LondonOwl313
6 minutes ago, hirstyboywonder said:

You don't think that some of the squad we have currently have egos that would expect (and probably need) a manager with more experience at this level?

More likely to go badly wrong than right at this level in my opinion.

When Bruce went I said the exact same thing, that we needed Championship experience and we needed to manage the bigger name players that we have. Managers like the Cowley's wouldn't have been a good fit for that reason.

But I think I was wrong because Monk had 4 other similar sized clubs on his CV and it's been a disaster. Most of our bigger names will be going in the summer... Forestieri and Hutchinson for a start. Westwood likely to ask for a move. Fletcher may or may not stay, Rhodes looks shot anyway. That only really leaves Bannan as a 'name'.

We're going to have to rebuild somehow with younger, fresher players. If there was another Bruce available then I'd prefer that but managers with Championship experience who are available look completely uninspiring. So it's going to be a bit of a punt whoever we go for next

4 minutes ago, LondonOwl313 said:

When Bruce went I said the exact same thing, that we needed Championship experience and we needed to manage the bigger name players that we have. Managers like the Cowley's wouldn't have been a good fit for that reason.

But I think I was wrong because Monk had 4 other similar sized clubs on his CV and it's been a disaster. Most of our bigger names will be going in the summer... Forestieri and Hutchinson for a start. Westwood likely to ask for a move. Fletcher may or may not stay, Rhodes looks shot anyway. That only really leaves Bannan as a 'name'.

We're going to have to rebuild somehow with younger, fresher players. If there was another Bruce available then I'd prefer that but managers with Championship experience who are available look completely uninspiring. So it's going to be a bit of a punt whoever we go for next

Time will tell on Forestieri, 3 months ago I'd have agreed with you but with the climate now and his form over a couple of years I doubt he will get offered a contract anywhere near what he is on now, with us or anyone else. With his young family settled in the area, if we were to offer him reduced terms he might consider it the best option.

Westwood has been close to moving before and it hasn't happened, clubs might not see it as worth the risk to offer him better terms than he has with us for next season.

Monk may have some experience at this level but little of it transpired to be good experience lasting more than a year, we should be looking at a manager with good experience at this level.

1 hour ago, WalthamOwl said:

. I’m not the biggest fan of Monk but I think it’s very unfair he has to work with people that he didn’t choose. 

..Kinell

How cannot it be unfair?

Did he have to come here under fear of death if he didn't.

1 hour ago, @owlstalk said:

If the players have changed why would you need to change the coaches?

They'd be talking to totally different players wouldn't' they?

What's wrong with having a complete change?

1 hour ago, @owlstalk said:

There's this disease amongst some of our fans that forces their brains to only look at former players of this club whenever a manager or coaches position is available

I am pretty sure other clubs don't suffer from this disease, so why do our fans suffer from it?

Getting a former player back as manager hasn't done United any harm?

1 hour ago, TrickyTrev said:

For a start no experienced manager will take it on due to the problems you've highlighted. We've currently got a manager with championship experience and that's working out well, isn't it? 

United took a chance on Wilder. Why shouldn't we take one with Lowe. He's arguably had a better start to his managerial career than the best manager in the universe? But let's stick with the useless to$$er we currently have in charge?

Edited by Great Big Galaa

26 minutes ago, hirstyboywonder said:

Time will tell on Forestieri, 3 months ago I'd have agreed with you but with the climate now and his form over a couple of years I doubt he will get offered a contract anywhere near what he is on now, with us or anyone else. With his young family settled in the area, if we were to offer him reduced terms he might consider it the best option.

Westwood has been close to moving before and it hasn't happened, clubs might not see it as worth the risk to offer him better terms than he has with us for next season.

Monk may have some experience at this level but little of it transpired to be good experience lasting more than a year, we should be looking at a manager with good experience at this level.

image.gif.b7f5585c73bb38e5fa64edd13e9c238f.gif

22 minutes ago, Great Big Galaa said:

For a start no experienced manager will take it on due to the problems you've highlighted. We've currently got a manager with championship experience and that's working out well, isn't it? 

United took a chance on Wilder. Why shouldn't we take one with Lowe. He's arguably had a better start to his managerial career than the best manager in the universe? But let's stick with the useless to$$er we currently have in charge?

I think someone like McCarthy would take us on and how attractive we are to managers is general is very much dependent on how the EFL case goes, which we should know before any new season is ready to start.

As I said previously, it would be much easier to start with a relatively untried manager at League One level. United were the biggest team in division 3 for much (but certainly not all!) of their time at that level and were failing badly. They had a team where nobody stood out and were primed for an up and coming manager to come in and get a grip and if it didn't work they were never going to drop as low as getting relegated to division 4 (though it has happened before in their past)..

Our dressing room requires more man management in terms of perceived stature of players and at Championship level it is a different kettle of fish and if it goes wrong the price to pay is bigger, Ipswich are a recent example of that. 

Edited by Guest

1 hour ago, LondonOwl313 said:

Where is this track record of failure. 
Has he taken any clubs down ? Let’s not have facts get in the way of personal opinion.