Why James Beattie didn’t come with Garry Monk

Just now, Sergeant Tibbs said:

As for employing previous players I was thinking of Danny Wilson and Peter Eustace, who always seem to get a mention in the annual “worst manager ever” threads.

Add Trevor Francis and Chris Turner to that list too

Big time.

Owlstalk Shop

13 minutes ago, vulva said:

Good point here. Bullen says it's "mad" that Birmingham refused to release Beattie, when it's more likely down to the simple fact that anyone in their right mind wouldn't walk away from a better deal. With Wednesday offering just a one year contract, Beattie was better off sticking with his contract at Birmingham.

Edited by bobness

Guest LondonOwl313
4 minutes ago, Sergeant Tibbs said:

I’ve not said he should not be sacked, I asked you how you know so many facts. Which you’ve still not answered.

So his remit at all of those clubs wasn’t to be competitive towards promotion? It doesn’t need to be explicitly made public it’s just obvious isn’t it. 

As I said, it’s not about him taking someone up year 1. I wouldn’t be calling for him to go if we were in and around the play offs, building something and moving forward. If we could see some progress towards the end goal then persevere. But there’s no progress at all and we’re moving backwards.. and that’s something that happened at all his other clubs too. So I think the board judged him on the same criteria I’ve just set out

Just now, hirstyboywonder said:

You said a couple of weeks ago we should continue with Monk, which is basically saying he shouldn't be sacked, or has something changed your mind since then?

I think to follow that conversation. I was challenging someone’s knowledge. 
And I’ve said before, which you seem to have forgot , if you give me a viable option, then I’d take it.  But you don’t.

Does anyone think the coronavirus has too a degree saved monks job?

i thought he was a dead man walking week in week out - but just seemed to defy the executioner, however i did think it was a matter of time, as it was clear results weren’t going to turn around 

then the coronavirus came, everyone put football second (rightly so) and monk seems to have escaped

what happens next is a mystery- is he, isn’t he out of contract? Who knows 

2 minutes ago, Sergeant Tibbs said:

I think to follow that conversation. I was challenging someone’s knowledge. 
And I’ve said before, which you seem to have forgot , if you give me a viable option, then I’d take it.  But you don’t.

Your exact words were;

"I’d continue with Monk, his overall CV isn’t bad and he’s inherited a mess here."

I've offered a viable option plenty of times, others have been put forward by others as well. Plus, as I have said before, many more viable options may become available if we get any sort of positive result with the EFL case.

Besides which, just because we are not able to out forward potential options doesn't mean we should just accept what we have got. I doubt the club will ever be guided by what is said on here when making a final decision on who to appoint.  

10 minutes ago, hirstyboywonder said:

The previous Leeds managers were Steve Evans, Uwe Rosler and Neil Redfearn - I wouldn't want any of them managing us either so being better than them is not a great barometer.

Pulis took Boro to the play-offs then 7th the following season after Monk spent millions and fell out with established players that Pulis brought back in. It looks like getting rid of Pulis rather than Monk is a bigger issue for them.

The effort of some of the players has to be called into question but that is part of the managers job - to get them up for every game. He has got rifd of players regarded as trouble makers but results and performances have declined significantly. He has had a dig at the players he does pick after a fair few performances but doesn't significantly change the squad or the tactics, certainly not the negative approach. His loan signings have had little impact and when he does make tactical changes he does things like pick Forestieri as a wing-back - inspired stuff!  

Struggling to see any positive signs that would be worth extending his stay.

Don’t forget Hockaday and some unknown Eastern European that Cellino unearthed. 

Alfhough I know you’ll never accept the challenges that were presented under that owner.

Living in a Leeds post code, working with a Leeds fan base for 24 years has taught me plenty, not that you’d ever give any creedance to that.

I think whether you rate Monk, don't, think he deserves a chance with his own players/back room staff or not? I think it's very unlikely that he starts next season as manager whether this season finishes or not?

1 minute ago, Markowski77 said:

Does anyone think the coronavirus has too a degree saved monks job?

i thought he was a dead man walking week in week out - but just seemed to defy the executioner

In all honesty NO.

The reason I think so personally is that I believe Chansiri is now convinced of the need to clear the decks, clear out the trouble players, and start again, and I believe he wants Monk to do it.

So I think we would have had a really painful season, just about stopped up on points, and kept Monk despite fans screaming for his head.

Owlstalk Shop

1 minute ago, hirstyboywonder said:

Your exact words were;

"I’d continue with Monk, his overall CV isn’t bad and he’s inherited a mess here."

I've offered a viable option plenty of times, others have been put forward by others as well. Plus, as I have said before, many more viable options may become available if we get any sort of positive result with the EFL case.

Besides which, just because we are not able to out forward potential options doesn't mean we should just accept what we have got. I doubt the club will ever be guided by what is said on here when making a final decision on who to appoint.  

If you’re going to dig up threads, dig them all up and show some balance. 

1 minute ago, Great Big Galaa said:

I think it's very unlikely that he starts next season as manager whether this season finishes or not?

I dont understand this logic at all

If he was going to be sacked why would we wait for football to return before doing it?

Some people just can't accept that Monk is going nowhere just yet, and is part of Chansiri's agreed clearout of the players at the club and a rebuild

Owlstalk Shop

Don’t forget Hockaday and some unknown Eastern European that Cellino unearthed. 

Alfhough I know you’ll never accept the challenges that were presented under that owner.

Living in a Leeds post code, working with a Leeds fan base for 24 years has taught me plenty, not that you’d ever give any creedance to that.

What are you on about? Of course it must have been a challenge at times working under Cellino but all we have to compare with is a bunch of managers that I wouldn't want anywhere near our club so it is not a good barometer.

2 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

In all honesty NO.

The reason I think so personally is that I believe Chansiri is now convinced of the need to clear the decks, clear out the trouble players, and start again, and I believe he wants Monk to do it.

So I think we would have had a really painful season, just about stopped up on points, and kept Monk despite fans screaming for his head.

it’s an interesting one - because I do think you could be right moving forward that he will stay (even though im not a fan)

I think if the season and form carried on at the time - i think it would have been inevitable 

If you’re going to dig up threads, dig them all up and show some balance. 

You said you haven't said you don't want Monk sacked. All I've done is quote a recent post where you said he should continue.

You could clarify this by saying whether or not you want him to be our manager next season.

5 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

In all honesty NO.

He did this with Jos though and it failed within months and cost us another season. If he is on a rolling contract I am sure he will be considering his position if we do resume and results and performances continue in the same manner.

Season ticket sales might be a good guide. I know things have obviously changed now on this front but the initial deadline was gone before the virus and if numbers are significantly down compared with the same point in previous seasons then this might be taken into consideration.

5 minutes ago, hirstyboywonder said:

He did this with Jos though and it failed within months and cost us another season. If he is on a rolling contract I am sure he will be considering his position if we do resume and results and performances continue in the same manner.

Season ticket sales might be a good guide. I know things have obviously changed now on this front but the initial deadline was gone before the virus and if numbers are significantly down compared with the same point in previous seasons then this might be taken into consideration.

Yeah possibly mate, or alternatively Chansiri could blame the season ticket drop and the form on the players they are looking to clear out of the club.

Depends how he's looking at it

Owlstalk Shop

9 minutes ago, hirstyboywonder said:

You said you haven't said you don't want Monk sacked. All I've done is quote a recent post where you said he should continue.

You could clarify this by saying whether or not you want him to be our manager next season.

For the last six - eight weeks, I’ve not given it much thought. 
Form since Xmas - get rid, but I’d like to understand what the issue is - compared to the 2 months prior.
I don’t study the form enough to know who the replacement would be. I don’t agree on in being McCarthy, because I think that would be a holding role and within 12 months we’d be looking for a new coach.
Im sick of the club going round In circles. 
100% my view us we can’t move forward under this chairman. That is the problem.

13 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

I dont understand this logic at all

If he was going to be sacked why would we wait for football to return before doing it?

Some people just can't accept that Monk is going nowhere just yet, and is part of Chansiri's agreed clearout of the players at the club and a rebuild

And some can't except that it's Jos Lukuhay all over again and Monk getting the sack is inevitable as it was for Lukuhay.