Why James Beattie didn’t come with Garry Monk

Just now, Owls-Fan said:

No worries, I do disagree as Lowe’s record and reputation as a lower league manager will start to put him in the frame for championship jobs very soon. As it did with Jones, Hurst and the Cowleys. The fact he played for us would be a bonus, not a requirement for his employment. 

Yeah it's going to be interesting to watch his progress. He's certainly started off well!

Owlstalk Shop

2 minutes ago, hirstyboywonder said:

In what respect?

Here we go again, have to explain myself to the great boywonder.

in this period where the nation is facing the worst of times certain elements have nothing better to do than pull a man down and call for him to be unemployed. 

I ask anyone, when there is no defined date when football will return, why is there a need to act now. 

And out of respect for other clubs, if it comes to relieving the man of his post whilst there is no football, do we need to be  unsettling them further.

2 minutes ago, Sergeant Tibbs said:

in this period where the nation is facing the worst of times certain elements have nothing better to do than pull a man down and call for him to be unemployed. 

I ask anyone, when there is no defined date when football will return, why is there a need to act now. 

And out of respect for other clubs, if it comes to relieving the man of his post whilst there is no football, do we need to be  unsettling them further.

Completely agree with you, sacking him at a time when football is in limbo would be disrespectful and chasing down a manager who is currently in work elsewhere wouldn't feel right either. For similar reasons I haven't looked at any transfer threads or rumours in any great detail, just seems a bit distasteful.

I can see how that would come across a bit at odds to what I have been saying in this thread. My main concern is that I don't want Monk starting a new season as it would seem like a waste of time to me - he hasn't shown many if any positive signs in the last 3 months of football and doesn't have a track record of turning teams around over any length of time.

In addition to it being distasteful at this time, sacking him now would serve no purpose from our point of view unless there was a belief that Bullen would do a better job in the remaining games as no decent manager is likely to take our job now when they have no idea about how the EFL case will go and that could leave us with the threat of relegation this season or starting next season with a points deduction.

Of course there are more important matters to worry about than football at the moment but we are here on a football forum discussing our team, if you call people out as being 'bed wetters' surely I am entitled to ask what you mean by this?  

28 minutes ago, TrickyTrev said:

Where I sit on the North Stand there doesn’t seem to be a growing “Monk out” feeling amongst the fans, if anything the fans anger seems more directed at the players.

The attitude towards Monk from where we are on the North is nowhere near as bad as it was for Luhukay and Carlos before they both got sacked.

Thankfully I think most fans realise that the manager needs time and I think he’ll get it.

I agree that in the stadium generally there hasn't been a wholesale turning on Monk at home games and the players get more stick but generally I think there is more of an apathy that it has been accepted that we are dire which is concerning, the fan base turn up expecting nothing and are not surprised when that is what is delivered.

At away games the fans certainly turned on the players some time ago, notably at Luton, but Monk spoke out in understanding how the fans feel after that game and turned it in the direction of the players - yet he still picks from largely the same bunch who he says let everyone including him down and started to adopt bizarre selections in addition to his boring approach like picking Forestieri at wing-back. You can't have much hope in a manager whose personnel and tactical selections result in more tactical half-time substitutions than I have ever seen before.

15 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

Yeah it's going to be interesting to watch his progress. He's certainly started off well!

Yeah I could see him being picked up by Luton or a Barnsley next. Hopefully it won’t be a manager we regret not taking a punt on 

1 hour ago, Sergeant Tibbs said:

He should’ve been sacked straight after the Brentford game. Another 5 goals shipped.

• Haha 1