Why James Beattie didn’t come with Garry Monk

Guest LondonOwl313
15 minutes ago, Sergeant Tibbs said:

Where is this track record of failure. 
Has he taken any clubs down ? Let’s not have facts get in the way of personal opinion.

He’s failed in his remit at every club he’s gone to. His remit at Leeds, Boro, Brum and here was likely promotion, or to at least be competitive towards that end. And he’s consistently underperformed so not lasted a year anywhere. These are facts not an opinion.

I don’t get our fans who suck up to him. It’s like they’ve not been to any of the games and witnessed how bad things are

Edited by LondonOwl313

1 minute ago, LondonOwl313 said:

He’s failed in his remit at every club he’s gone to. His remit at Leeds, Boro, Brum and here was likely promotion, or to at least be competitive towards that end. And he’s consistently underperformed so not lasted a year anywhere. These are facts not an opinion.

I don’t get our fans who suck up to him. It’s like they’ve not been to any of the games and witnessed how bad things are

Agree with you on most of this. Not sure Birmingham would be looking to be promotion challengers during their time under his management but if he was a resounding success he would still be with them.

I'd perhaps understand those suggesting giving him more time if there were signs of developing a clear approach with stems of positives. As with most of his jobs what we have is a decline after an encouraging start and I don't see anything in his approach to be positive about.

2 minutes ago, LondonOwl313 said:

“Was likely”

”These are facts”

Do you know what contradiction means ?

And I suppose his remit here was to get immediate promotion too, because clearly you were there at all of his job interviews.

And for your final point, who needs to “suck up to him”, really ?

2 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

Wouldn't that be applicable to every manager at every club other than a very select few like Alex Ferguson etc?

Eventually yes perhaps but his pattern sees that happen within 1 year/18 months without any success by which point he has either fell out with players/staff/board members and manages to get the boot or pack it in. 

Edited by Guest

Guest LondonOwl313
7 minutes ago, Sergeant Tibbs said:

“Was likely”

”These are facts”

Do you know what contradiction means ?

And I suppose his remit here was to get immediate promotion too, because clearly you were there at all of his job interviews.

And for your final point, who needs to “suck up to him”, really ?

What are you on about, seriously.. the remit for 2/3rds of championship clubs, apart from the smaller clubs at the bottom, is promotion to the premier league. I doubt any of those clubs hire managers without that objective in mind.

It doesn’t have to be achieved in year 1 of course. But what you need is signs that progress towards that end is being made. Every one of those clubs has judged that progress wasn’t been made mainly because of the long streaks of poor form that have appeared within a year of him being hired. He’s only not been fired yet here because of a combination of the virus suspending the season and us having a chairman who doesn’t really know what he’s doing.

You’re sucking up to him implying he shouldn’t be fired and ignoring the facts. You obviously didn’t see the Blackburn, Reading or Brentford games otherwise you wouldn’t be defending him so much.  

Edited by LondonOwl313

1 minute ago, hirstyboywonder said:

Eventually yes perhaps but his pattern sees that happen within 1 year/18 months without any success by which point he has either fell out with players/staff/board members and manages to get the boot or pack it in. 

His record at Leeds was Breyer than the umpteen prior incumbents who worked under that chairman. 
Pulis took Boro to the play off semis but look at them now. Arguably in a worse state than us.

Agree with you about Birmingham. 
I agree that our record since Xmas is terrible and he is lucky to be in a job, but I don’t think all performances are all on him. 
Can those who put in a shift v Man City tell me why they can’t try as hard in the league ?

3 minutes ago, LondonOwl313 said:

What are you on about, seriously.. the remit for 2/3rds of championship clubs, apart from the smaller clubs at the bottom, is promotion to the premier league. I doubt any of those clubs hire managers without that objective in mind.

It doesn’t have to be achieved in year 1 of course. But what you need is signs that progress towards that end is being made. Every one of those clubs has judged that progress wasn’t been made mainly because of the long streaks of poor form that have appeared within a year of him being hired. He’s only not been fired yet here because of a combination of the virus suspending the season and us having a chairman who doesn’t really know what he’s doing.

You’re sucking up to him implying he shouldn’t be fired and ignoring the facts. You obviously didn’t see the Blackburn, Reading or Brentford games otherwise you wouldn’t be defending him so much.  

I’ve not said he should not be sacked, I asked you how you know so many facts. Which you’ve still not answered.

1 minute ago, Sergeant Tibbs said:

His record at Leeds was Breyer than the umpteen prior incumbents who worked under that chairman. 
Pulis took Boro to the play off semis but look at them now. Arguably in a worse state than us.

Agree with you about Birmingham. 
I agree that our record since Xmas is terrible and he is lucky to be in a job, but I don’t think all performances are all on him. 
Can those who put in a shift v Man City tell me why they can’t try as hard in the league ?

The previous Leeds managers were Steve Evans, Uwe Rosler and Neil Redfearn - I wouldn't want any of them managing us either so being better than them is not a great barometer.

Pulis took Boro to the play-offs then 7th the following season after Monk spent millions and fell out with established players that Pulis brought back in. It looks like getting rid of Pulis rather than Monk is a bigger issue for them.

The effort of some of the players has to be called into question but that is part of the managers job - to get them up for every game. He has got rifd of players regarded as trouble makers but results and performances have declined significantly. He has had a dig at the players he does pick after a fair few performances but doesn't significantly change the squad or the tactics, certainly not the negative approach. His loan signings have had little impact and when he does make tactical changes he does things like pick Forestieri as a wing-back - inspired stuff!  

Struggling to see any positive signs that would be worth extending his stay.

6 minutes ago, Sergeant Tibbs said:

I’ve not said he should not be sacked, I asked you how you know so many facts. Which you’ve still not answered.

You said a couple of weeks ago we should continue with Monk, which is basically saying he shouldn't be sacked, or has something changed your mind since then?

4 minutes ago, hirstyboywonder said:

The previous Leeds managers were Steve Evans, Uwe Rosler and Neil Redfearn - I wouldn't want any of them managing us either so being better than them is not a great barometer.

Amen to that.

I think I'd have a breakdown and cry if any of those were even linked with us

Owlstalk Shop

Just now, Great Big Galaa said:

Monk :tongue: Megson didn't do too bad though garymegson

I forgot Megson. He did better than most, but that’s the problem. Not many seem to accept that not getting promotion isn’t failure. (Is that a double negative ?)

Carlos didn’t take us up but his first season was a great success.

As for employing previous players I was thinking of Danny Wilson and Peter Eustace, who always seem to get a mention in the annual “worst manager ever” threads.