Why James Beattie didn’t come with Garry Monk

2 minutes ago, Great Big Galaa said:

Monk’s finished here. There’s a increasingly agitated group of fans that want him out 

That's just not true

There's no increase in agitation whatsoever

People have other stuff they're worried about at the moment

Garry Monk's job is secondary to that and a million other things

There's just a tiny hardcore group of anti-Monk people who believe their support is growing

It isn't

It's no bigger now than it was when we were getting battered every game before Covid

Owlstalk Shop

1 minute ago, @owlstalk said:

That's just not true

There's just a tiny hardcore group of anti-Monk people who believe their support is growing

It isn't

It's no bigger now than it was when we were getting battered every game before Covid

I’m not trivialising Covid-19 and what is most important on people’s minds at the moment but having nothing much to talk about on here other than Monk’s future, I’m surprised that you don’t think there is an increasing number that want him gone?

Just now, Great Big Galaa said:

I’m not trivialising Covid-19 and what is most important on people’s minds at the moment but having nothing much to talk about on here other than Monk’s future, I’m surprised that you don’t think there is an increasing number that want him gone?

In all honesty mate I don't believe there is.

Not at all.

It wouldn't make any sense for there to be a growth in anti-monk sentiment when nothing is happening

I simply can't see any of it, can't feel it, haven't read it, don't sense it, and don't believe it

Owlstalk Shop

6 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

It's not though

It has all the hallmarks of a Danny Wilson style appointment.

We’ll have to agree to disagree on this as I feel Lowe will go on to achieve big things in management but we’ll probably unfortunately miss out on him due to having a Chairman that continues to go down the clueless to$$er route when it comes to appointing managers?

Edited by Great Big Galaa

19 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

I'm torn here as I'm both astonished people would see Lowe as a realistic sensible way to go as it's basically a total exact mirror of Danny Wilson, but at the same time totally not surprised as he's a former Sheffield Wednesday player so our fans are obviously going to look no further when talking about a managers job at Wednesday

lol

Yes total exact mirror, apart from Wilson had been a premier league manager that season and then took charge of a midtable premier league club. Who had international players and a few million to spend on bringing new players in. Whereas now we are a bottom half championship club, soon to have half a squad of players with the experienced and big earners departed, and not much money to spend.  Yes I’d say that mirrors the Wilson appointment exactly

6 hours ago, @owlstalk said:

I can't work out how you've reached that conclusion from your above points though?

Because the players are in and out of the team depending on the manager. Bullen brought them back in ASAP. 

Quite clearly, there was no contract issues because otherwise they wouldn’t have played under Bruce and Bullen ? 

Just now, Owls-Fan said:

Yes total exact mirror, apart from Wilson had been a premier league manager that season and then took charge of a midtable premier league club. Who had international players and a few million to spend on bringing new players in. Whereas now we are a bottom half championship club, soon to have half a squad of players with the experienced and big earners departed, and not much money to spend.  Yes I’d say that mirrors the Wilson appointment exactly

Not sure you have got to grips with the real point of what I said

Owlstalk Shop

3 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

That's just not true

It isn't

I agree I don't think the frenzy to want Monk out is growing, if anything the time away from the game has made this less likely. 

If football is to start again this season then the pressure not to want him managing another season will increase if results and performances don't pick up.

If this season isn't finished I think it is a bit in limbo in terms of where the fan base stands with him. As this thread has shown, there are some who wouldn't be averse to giving him more time but not many who are absolutely convinced this is the right approach and plenty don't want to see him in charge at the start of a new season. 

10 minutes ago, Great Big Galaa said:

We’ll have to agree to disagree on this as I feel Lowe will go on to achieve big things in management but we’ll probably unfortunately miss out on him due to having a Chairman that continues to go down the clueless to$$er route when it comes to appointing managers?

Based on what?

5 minutes ago, hirstyboywonder said:

Based on what?

On what he’s achieved so far but there’s no guarantees obviously but everyone goes on about Wilder and Lowe’s arguably had a better start to his managerial career than the best manager in the universe 😂

Just now, Great Big Galaa said:

On what he’s achieved so far but there’s no guarantees obviously but everyone goes on about Wilder and Lowe’s arguably had a better start to his managerial career than the best manager in the universe 😂

Sorry if it came across as a dig, I don't know much about his managerial career so was asking genuinely. What has he achieved? 

8 minutes ago, hirstyboywonder said:

Sorry if it came across as a dig, I don't know much about his managerial career so was asking genuinely. What has he achieved? 

One promotion with Bury and one due to be confirmed with Plymouth. Was interviewed recently and suggested that he’d like to manage us in the future.

3 minutes ago, Great Big Galaa said:

One promotion with Bury and one due to be confirmed with Plymouth. Was interviewed recently and suggested that he’d like to manage us in the future.

Weren't Bury favourites to be promoted and spent beyond their means to give them an even greater chance? Still doesn't guarantee promotion by doing that so shouldn't be any way discredited but not a total surprise by any means.

Plymouth will also have been one of the favourites for promotion from that level.

Paul Hurst had a decent record in the lower leagues when Ipswich decided to take him on at this level.

46 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

That's just not true

It isn't

Spot on, but to add, Covid has given some people a sense of perspective. 
Yes, to some, the game is their first love, which I get. But there also seems to be some extreme bed wetting taking place.

1 hour ago, @owlstalk said:

That's just not true

It isn't

Where I sit on the North Stand there doesn’t seem to be a growing “Monk out” feeling amongst the fans, if anything the fans anger seems more directed at the players.

The attitude towards Monk from where we are on the North is nowhere near as bad as it was for Luhukay and Carlos before they both got sacked.

Thankfully I think most fans realise that the manager needs time and I think he’ll get it.

13 minutes ago, Sergeant Tibbs said:

Spot on, but to add, Covid has given some people a sense of perspective. 
Yes, to some, the game is their first love, which I get. But there also seems to be some extreme bed wetting taking place.

In what respect?

51 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

Not sure you have got to grips with the real point of what I said

I understood your point is the only reason an owl fan would want Lowe as manager is because he played for us for a few games. Which is wrong, in my opinion 

Just now, Owls-Fan said:

I understood your point is the only reason an owl fan would want Lowe as manager is because he played for us for a few games. Which is wrong, in my opinion 

Ah got ya - sorry mate didn't understand your last post.

I'd definitely suggest that Lowe is only being considered because he's an ex Wednesday player

It always happens with any former Wednesday player managing clubs. There's always a call for them to come back and manage us

And it's always denied that it's not just because they're ex-wednesday fans - every single time.

Owlstalk Shop

7 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

Ah got ya - sorry mate didn't understand your last post.

I'd definitely suggest that Lowe is only being considered because he's an ex Wednesday player

It always happens with any former Wednesday player managing clubs. There's always a call for them to come back and manage us

And it's always denied that it's not just because they're ex-wednesday fans - every single time.

No worries, I do disagree as Lowe’s record and reputation as a lower league manager will start to put him in the frame for championship jobs very soon. As it did with Jones, Hurst and the Cowleys. The fact he played for us would be a bonus, not a requirement for his employment.