Midfield beast

11 hours ago, SettleForADraw said:

Large.jpg

It’s been apparent since the Hull play off we’ve needed a beast to sit in front of the back four. Silly figures were branded about. 

Why not Iorfa?

He’s been great at CB, he really has but he does often worry me there. It’s been brought up when discussed with friends that he’s not a great passer. But put Bannan & Luongo in front of him and he doesn’t need to play inch perfect passes,  break up the play and give it to those who can pick a pass. He’s also great at bringing the ball out with those direct runs out of the back.

Food for thought?

Iorfa isn't good enough on the ball to play in midfield. He's got a lot better at CB and if we can get something like a decent defence around him he could develop into a top CH.

I agree we do need a midfield beast but im still convinced the reason we haven't got one in is Bannan. Midfield beasts tend to be all action box to box type players, who needs a deep lying midfielder beside them in the formation we play.... Bannan isn't that so he either has to go back out wide (which is where I think hes best) we change our formation or he doesn't play. Cant see any other reason why we wouldn't have signed one by now.

I feel we may be more successful searching for such a player overseas Those sort of “pivots” have been used on the continent for a while now, whereas it’s a relatively new feature here. Plus, most continental players are better on the ball. When you think, the best we can do in this country, is Tottenham’s Dier, then you get my point

10 hours ago, torryowl said:

hasn't hutch played that role and done rather well at it …….

Hutch does part of the job very well. That part is shielding the defence by breaking up opposition attacks. Having said that he sits very deep often like a third centre back which is his natural game.

What he can’t do is play like a Carlton Palmer, box to box midfielder. He hasn’t got the legs for it and at 30 is not going to adopt to that style of play. That is what we have been missing for four seasons or more.

Iorfa is quick, strong and has a passing resembles to Carlton on the pitch, perhaps the reason for the calls for him to played in that position. I wouldn’t be opposed to giving him a try there. After all he would surely at least offer more than Pelupessy. What must be done though before that is to sort out central defence where Iorfa has been the stand out performer. Tom Lees no longer has the pace/ confidence/ leadership he once commanded in that position.

Thoughts anyone?

I know a few fans are pushing for this but I just don’t see it. Iorfa is just fine at CB and will only get better. 

His recovery pace would be lost in midfield and he’s a bit too clumsy on the ball to be a midfielder. I think people see his stature and it reminds them of Carlton Palmer but he’s not that kind of player. 

Leave him at CB with Borner and look to get another promising CB in the summer and watch him progress. 

Edited by steelcityowlsfan

6 minutes ago, Blatter said:

Hutch does part of the job very well. That part is shielding the defence by breaking up opposition attacks. Having said that he sits very deep often like a third centre back which is his natural game.

What he can’t do is play like a Carlton Palmer, box to box midfielder. He hasn’t got the legs for it and at 30 is not going to adopt to that style of play. That is what we have been missing for four seasons or more.

Iorfa is quick, strong and has a passing resembles to Carlton on the pitch, perhaps the reason for the calls for him to played in that position. I wouldn’t be opposed to giving him a try there. After all he would surely at least offer more than Pelupessy. What must be done though before that is to sort out central defence where Iorfa has been the stand out performer. Tom Lees no longer has the pace/ confidence/ leadership he once commanded in that position.

Thoughts anyone?

I’ve pondered Iorfa in midfield, and I don’t think there is much difference in his passing abilities, compared to when Carlton Palmer switched to midfield He has the running ability, can tackle and gets into the opposition box. Whether he has the ability to launch attacks, in the way better players can, I’m not sure. Personally, I like the Portuguese guy at Reading

Guest Garryswfcowl72
13 hours ago, SettleForADraw said:

Large.jpg

It’s been apparent since the Hull play off we’ve needed a beast to sit in front of the back four. Silly figures were branded about. 

Why not Iorfa?

He’s been great at CB, he really has but he does often worry me there. It’s been brought up when discussed with friends that he’s not a great passer. But put Bannan & Luongo in front of him and he doesn’t need to play inch perfect passes,  break up the play and give it to those who can pick a pass. He’s also great at bringing the ball out with those direct runs out of the back.

Food for thought?

I would get Ben Pearson from Preston can’t stand him when he’s the opposition but exactly the kind of player we’ve been crying out for since wembley 

7 minutes ago, Garryswfcowl72 said:

I would get Ben Pearson from Preston can’t stand him when he’s the opposition but exactly the kind of player we’ve been crying out for since wembley 

He would be expensive though My tip, Ovie Ejaria, currently on loan to Reading from Liverpool Another loan maybe?

Guest wilyfox
2 minutes ago, gurujuan said:

He would be expensive though My tip, Ovie Ejaria, currently on loan to Reading from Liverpool Another loan maybe?

Think his loan was with commitment to a permanent deal this summer.

3 hours ago, S72 Owl said:

Keep seeing people say we need a midfield ‘beast’.

Theres not many of them about these days.

What we need is players to fit the system we play. Our centre midfielders don’t really suit playing 4-4-2, that’s been the main problem. 

What’s that then? One who can watch the ball go flying over his head when it gets hoofed out from the back? I think our current midfielders are doing ok at that

Guest wilyfox
3 minutes ago, gurujuan said:

Ah, shame

I take encouragement from the link with Madger Gomes. Who knows, he could be the one we're lacking in the middle. Looks the sort. 

16 minutes ago, wilyfox said:

I take encouragement from the link with Madger Gomes. Who knows, he could be the one we're lacking in the middle. Looks the sort. 

As long as he can play However good Hutchinson was, if Monk continues to operate with two wingers, both central midfielders need to be able to defend, and create, in equal measures

6 minutes ago, gurujuan said:

As long as he can play However good Hutchinson was, if Monk continues to operate with two wingers, both central midfielders need to be able to defend, and create, in equal measures

If we are playing with two wingers in a 

4-4-2 bannan ain't mobile enough 

3 hours ago, Blatter said:

Thoughts anyone?

Truth is he never had any of those attributes. He's not desperately slow but he's not quick either, he's only got confidence if he has someone like Loovens alongside him. As for leadership,  I've never seen any, I can't understand why he's captain. He never leads anybody.

Don't get me wrong he's had some cracking games for us but since Loovens went he's struggled. He was ok with Hector alongside him but this season he's been dreadful at times. If we can find a dominant central defender to stick next to him he could come good again.