Midfield beast

Guest wilyfox
16 minutes ago, gurujuan said:

As long as he can play However good Hutchinson was, if Monk continues to operate with two wingers, both central midfielders need to be able to defend, and create, in equal measures

I understand many aren't happy with Bannan in a midfield 2, but I wouldn't dismiss the possibility. Depends whom he's paired with. I think he's fine alongside Hutch or Luongo. Problems arise when he's with Lee or Pelupessy.

Bannan was great at LM his first season with Pudil on overlap, but he was 25/26yrs of age. I think Bannan will need a central berth now in his 30s. A midfield 3 could work, but that renders Reach & Harris useless.

The most important thing is a clear vision of how we're going to set up, from Monk or his possible successor. Decisions must be made on that basis. Hasn't happened for a while. 

2 minutes ago, wilyfox said:

I understand many aren't happy with Bannan in a midfield 2, but I wouldn't dismiss the possibility. Depends whom he's paired with. I think he's fine alongside Hutch or Luongo. Problems arise when he's with Lee or Pelupessy.

Bannan was great at LM his first season with Pudil on overlap, but he was 25/26yrs of age. I think Bannan will need a central berth now in his 30s. A midfield 3 could work, but that renders Reach & Harris useless.

The most important thing is a clear vision of how we're going to set up, from Monk or his possible successor. Decisions must be made on that basis. Hasn't happened for a while. 

Verily, and the system and set up needs to be compatible with what we are doing in the academy/development set ups

31 minutes ago, wilyfox said:

See this is why I personally can’t see past a midfield three of Iorfa luongo and bannan with three forwards. You’ve got Iorfa breaking up play and bringing the ball out, Luongo as a box to box midfielder and ball winner with bannan in a free role. We always seem a better more compact side playing in a two without bannan, but he is sublime so in my opinion you have to make allowances for that pedigree of player

Guest wilyfox
20 minutes ago, SettleForADraw said:

See this is why I personally can’t see past a midfield three of Iorfa luongo and bannan with three forwards. You’ve got Iorfa breaking up play and bringing the ball out, Luongo as a box to box midfielder and ball winner with bannan in a free role. We always seem a better more compact side playing in a two without bannan, but he is sublime so in my opinion you have to make allowances for that pedigree of player

Iorfa sees himself as a centre-half, and has become the best one we have. Moving him is a bad idea. The solution is to revamp our midfield with some new personnel. With Lee's, Hutch's, and hopefully Pelupessy's days numbered, we'll have an opportunity to do that. 

9 minutes ago, wilyfox said:

Iorfa sees himself as a centre-half, and has become the best one we have. Moving him is a bad idea. The solution is to revamp our midfield with some new personnel. With Lee's, Hutch's, and hopefully Pelupessy's days numbered, we'll have an opportunity to do that. 

Yeah I get that, the main point of the thread though was if we’re up shît creek without a paddle and can’t afford to buy from elsewhere (although I agree we need to be looking at lower leagues for cheaper options as plenty of clubs take educated gambles that pay off)

Just now, SettleForADraw said:

Yeah I get that, the main point of the thread though was if we’re up shît creek without a paddle and can’t afford to buy from elsewhere (although I agree we need to be looking at lower leagues for cheaper options as plenty of clubs take educated gambles that pay off)

500k on pelupessy who’s never played in England or 500k on a youngster who’s played in League 1 or League 2 who’s impressed in England...no brainer for me

Guest wilyfox
1 minute ago, SettleForADraw said:

500k on pelupessy who’s never played in England or 500k on a youngster who’s played in League 1 or League 2 who’s impressed in England...no brainer for me

Thats why I was happy for us to be linked with Madger Gomes. 

1 hour ago, gurujuan said:

Verily, and the system and set up needs to be compatible with what we are doing in the academy/development set ups

In his book Ruud Gullit says that every manager that signs for Ajax must agree to play 4-3-3 tactics and adopt "passing" football, as same philospohyit is set through all their age groups.

51 minutes ago, SettleForADraw said:

We obviously have problem in midfield. Solution is not to move our best defender to player there as then at best we will be left with problem in our back line. At worst we will create two problems trying to solve one by playing Iorfa in midfield.

Personally I think that Iorfa would do a poor job there. He never played that position, got poor touch and is not good passer of the ball. If you want to play him in front of our back 4 than he would be likely to get on the ball more then any other player in our team and typically we would want to play our most creative player that Iorfa certainly isn't.

I would want to see us deploy 4-3-3 or 4-2-3-1 with young creative midfielder in front of our back 4. As I said before, Callum Slattery is a guy I would want to see us try to bring in from Southampton. Bit unrealistic, but would be type of player I would want to see us build around.

24 minutes ago, wilyfox said:

Thats why I was happy for us to be linked with Madger Gomes. 

Played in Croatia for Istra 1961. 5 games in his Istra career and they couldn't wait to get rid of him.

Guest wilyfox
6 minutes ago, malek said:

Played in Croatia for Istra 1961. 5 games in his Istra career and they couldn't wait to get rid of him.

I'd want out of there too.

Guest wilyfox
3 minutes ago, malek said:

Wouldn't swap it for Doncaster no matter what :rolleyes:

pula.jpg

Better for a player to have pretty scenery or make a wise career move? 

Just now, wilyfox said:

Better for a player to have pretty scenery or make a wise career move? 

It wasn't wise career move out of choice, he was kicked out. He was there just 5 games there, but did nothing. Based on that evidence I would never said he is good enough for League One, never mind Championship. I watched him only once for Doncaster, but he was poor hat time as well. Could be that I got to watch him on his bad day, but he did nothing to impress me.

Guest wilyfox
2 minutes ago, malek said:

It wasn't wise career move out of choice, he was kicked out. He was there just 5 games there, but did nothing. Based on that evidence I would never said he is good enough for League One, never mind Championship. I watched him only once for Doncaster, but he was poor hat time as well. Could be that I got to watch him on his bad day, but he did nothing to impress me.

Moore has spoken highly of him. May come to nothing anyway. Could be a rubbish link. Not endorsing that particular player. More pleased we're linked with that athletic type of midfielder than him especially. 

2 minutes ago, wilyfox said:

Moore has spoken highly of him. May come to nothing anyway. Could be a rubbish link. Not endorsing that particular player. More pleased we're linked with that athletic type of midfielder than him especially. 

Certainly want to see us linked with younger players doing well in leagues below us. Plenty of good and not expensive player, itching to prove themselves at Championship level and at club like ours.

1 hour ago, malek said:

Fortunately he doesn't have to impress you or any other of us fans.lol

I think you could put a destroyer at the base of our midfield and we would still be shi'ite. Of course it would be nice to have a midfielder who can defend now that Hutch is persona non grata, but it would be a lot more of an effect to show some interest in playing football in the opposite half. 

We need to become a much more positive team, a higher tempo, a higher line. That's the way we'll beat the opposites. 

No. Develop him into a top centre half. He’s already played a lot of his career at right back and we should back him in his natural position which is centre half. Plus, I don’t think his touch is good enough to play in midfield.

We already know we need at least 2 central midfielders in the summer but I hope we do this with targeted recruitment rather than looking at Iorfa. 

Edited by Bouncing Owl