Jack Stobbs signs off at Sheffield Wednesday

1 hour ago, matt68owls said:

another promising youngster who never seemed to force his way in to the first team regularly.

we seem to get so many promising players but they never seem to make the grade, are they just not good enough or is there something wrong with the system at Hillsborough?

Think is there are thousands of promising in players, very few make the next step.

25 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

That's hardly a groundbreaking statement though is it?

I think we should all (if not why not) be agreed that it's not a happy camp at SWFC

In fact Monk and Chansiri have even said so themselves haven't they which is why they're going to clear the decks

Shame Chansiri doesn’t start clearing the decks with Monk. Not even talking to Stobbs when he came back? I think that sums up his man management skills TBH and don’t get me started on his mind numbing tactics? He’s got to go or else we’ll be back in League 1 sooner rather than later.

Edited by Great Big Galaa

11 minutes ago, Harrysgame said:

Think is there are thousands of promising in players, very few make the next step.

especially at Hillsborough, who was the last player to come through the ranks to play at a high standard?

13 minutes ago, Great Big Galaa said:

Shame Chansiri doesn’t start clearing the decks with Monk. Not even talking to Stobbs when he came back? I think that sums up his man management skills TBH and don’t get me started on his mind numbing tactics? He’s got to go or else we’ll be back in League 1 sooner rather than later.

Someone posted the exact sentence about Nuhiu

lol

Owlstalk Shop

7 minutes ago, Great Big Galaa said:

I think Monk’s more of an issue than Atdhe TBH?

My point is everyone's running round like hysterical housewives screaming that this person should go or we'll definitely be relegated, or that person should go or we'll definitely be relegated

It's like watching mad chickens clucking round a yard

lol

Owlstalk Shop

59 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

My point is everyone's running round like hysterical housewives screaming that this person should go or we'll definitely be relegated, or that person should go or we'll definitely be relegated

It's like watching mad chickens clucking round a yard

lol

It's that time again. All the Verucca Salts want something and they want it NOW.

So once more we trudge our weary way through the painting-by-numbers pantomime of making almost every subject about it, even where it's a complete irrelevance. Anything that the manager can take even a single atom of credit for has to be attributed to someone else, mitigated or denied outright. If something negative has happened it is exclusively his fault even if the 'evidence' for that has to be exaggerated, shoehorned or made up altogether.

To be fair, it is interesting from a psychological observer standpoint, but difficult to take seriously as it is so routine, perfunctory and predictable. And it's not just this generation, this club, or even sport in general. You see it everywhere; all the time. Just look at the diverse views on climate change, Brexit, Donald Trump, political ideology, pop music, the new Star Wars trilogy or whether there is enough green space in Sheffield city centre :biggrin:. If the case is that strong, why resort to fantasies, cliches, repetition and at times, hysteria? 

And this is not a defence of Monk in particular by the way as I'm completely ambivalent about his future. The club at most levels was in a mess even before the current upheaval. Manager is just one part of it, and not necessarily the one making the biggest impact. Whatever has been happening in recent months, I think it's pretty clear that some of it at least is beyond his control and therefore not fixed simply with swapping him for someone else.

Edited by DJMortimer

2 hours ago, @owlstalk said:

That's hardly a groundbreaking statement though is it?

I think we should all (if not why not) be agreed that it's not a happy camp at SWFC

In fact Monk and Chansiri have even said so themselves haven't they which is why they're going to clear the decks

Unless the sack themselves, can’t see it working. 😂

3 hours ago, @owlstalk said:

I don't know how we compare to other clubs of our size, stature or local neighbourhood size

Does anyone know?

Locally we arnt a favourable option. Based on experience I've seen over the last year. 

If you compare us to Utd, sadly they are lightyears ahead of us, they are out in the community doing allsorts. 

Edited by Maddogbob
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Great Big Galaa said:

I am surprised this is allowed to happen at the club. The manager surely should be fed all the information about each player and their circumstances. How can we expect to progress if this is how we treat players that have been at the club for as long as he has.

Good luck to Jack for the remainder of his career. 

Guest Mcguigan
3 hours ago, NeonLeon said:

He’s a good poster boy for why Development Squads don’t really work, unless you’re loaning players out into the men’s league regularly. 

Always thought he looked like a man against boys in the Dev games, but the complete opposite when he had his cameos for the first team. It was like that last bit of development was always lacking. It’s a shame because a lad of 23 should have a lot more professional games under his belt than he has!

To be honest, the games I watched him in for the u23’s, he never really dominated games. Let’s not forget most u23 squads are made up of second year scholars (18 y/o). 

He should have cut his ties years ago and sought first team football at National league level.

Guest Grez Bez

Hope he dies well.

Never looked like making it in the championship but hopefully he gets a league club