Jack Stobbs signs off at Sheffield Wednesday

Screenshot 2020-05-13 at 12.15.36.jpg

Jack Stobbs signs off at SWFC and talks about how his release came about..

“Normally they would do it at the training ground in the office but with the guidelines from the government, they weren’t able to do that," he said.

"It’s not their fault but when I’ve been there for such a long time, it’s a rubbish way to leave.

"You have that conversation over a video call and that’s it. You probably won’t go back to the training ground, you won’t go back to say goodbye properly.

"I have been there for 17 years. None of us had expected that we wouldn’t be there to say goodbye and thank people for what they have done for us."

Jack then spoke about his final months at Sheffield Wednesday

“When I went up to Scotland, they appointed a new manager.

"He (Garry Monk) had not seen me play and I had not trained with them due to being up there, so he didn’t really know anything about me. I had hoped to come back and be involved more than I was but it didn’t work out like that.

"It wasn’t like he had a conversation with me, I think he had his squad and had seen the players that he was interested in — even some of the first-team squad weren’t in his plans."

It's always sad times when Sheffield Wednesday release players

Even more so when they're lifelong fans who must have been living their dreams out on a day to day basis

Best of luck Jack Stobbs - hope you get sorted soon with a new club

Owlstalk Shop

another promising youngster who never seemed to force his way in to the first team regularly.

we seem to get so many promising players but they never seem to make the grade, are they just not good enough or is there something wrong with the system at Hillsborough?

Just now, @owlstalk said:

At which point?

At the end of last season after a very unsuccessful loan at Port Vale and leading onto Jos playing him and he clearly looking out of his depth.

His loan to Livingston started ok but he didn't pull up any trees there either which he should have done to have any chance with us.

Plus he's what 22/23 now?

By 21 you should have a very good idea where they are heading.

• Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, malek said:

Good luck to Jack Stobbs.

But when we will we get to see list of players that were let go ?!

Wigan already released list of players that are joining their academy.

Sadly I don’t think we’ll ever see the kind of communication with regards to our academy like we see at some other clubs?

Also reading Stobbs’ comments about Monk and the squad, it doesn’t seem an happy camp but I’m sure someone will be along in a minute to question why I have read his comments like I have? 🤣

Edited by Great Big Galaa

Guest wilyfox

Sad way for him to depart, but there will be many like him up and down the country. You want homegrown talent breaking through, but I was surprised we renewed his contract last time. I thought it was generous for a player who never really looked likely. 

He looked good playing for youth teams and development squads but playing senior football is a major step up. While it is always nice to see players develop through the academy and play for the first team Stobbs wasn't good enough It yet again highlights how poor our academy and scouting system has been over the last 50 years that we have developed very few players considering the local population and supposed stature of our club. Sadly other clubs do it far better than we do. Good luck in your future Jack Stobbs. 

58 minutes ago, GHS said:

Seemed a likable lad, unfortunately we kept hold too long and should have released him a while ago.

He'll ply his trade in L2/L1 no doubt and forge a good career.

Best of luck to him.

17 years. Will he get a testimonial:duntmatter:.

16 minutes ago, Ronnie Starling said:

He looked good playing for youth teams and development squads but playing senior football is a major step up. While it is always nice to see players develop through the academy and play for the first team Stobbs wasn't good enough It yet again highlights how poor our academy and scouting system has been over the last 50 years that we have developed very few players considering the local population and supposed stature of our club. Sadly other clubs do it far better than we do. Good luck in your future Jack Stobbs. 

I don't know how we compare to other clubs of our size, stature or local neighbourhood size

Does anyone know?

Owlstalk Shop

Guest Ash76
25 minutes ago, Great Big Galaa said:

Sadly I don’t think we’ll ever see the kind of communication with regards to our academy like we see at some other clubs?

Also reading Stobbs’ comments about Monk and the squad, it doesn’t seem an happy camp but I’m sure someone will be along in a minute to question why I have read his comments like I have? 🤣

What comments have you read?

He’s a good poster boy for why Development Squads don’t really work, unless you’re loaning players out into the men’s league regularly. 

Always thought he looked like a man against boys in the Dev games, but the complete opposite when he had his cameos for the first team. It was like that last bit of development was always lacking. It’s a shame because a lad of 23 should have a lot more professional games under his belt than he has!

Just now, @owlstalk said:

I don't know how we compare to other clubs of our size, stature or local neighbourhood size

Does anyone know?

Well you don't have to look far to see how "other" clubs have done well. United and Leeds have done far better than we have but that's probably down to being far more professional than what we have been. A few years back one of our scouts had to print off his own business cards, fight to get his expenses and had no club apparel. He could have been anybody watching kids playing football so would you as a parent trust him or another scout with a more professional approach?

31 minutes ago, Great Big Galaa said:

Also reading Stobbs’ comments about Monk and the squad, it doesn’t seem an happy camp

That's hardly a groundbreaking statement though is it?

I think we should all (if not why not) be agreed that it's not a happy camp at SWFC

In fact Monk and Chansiri have even said so themselves haven't they which is why they're going to clear the decks

Owlstalk Shop