Jack Stobbs signs off at Sheffield Wednesday

Guest freerole
3 hours ago, @owlstalk said:

My point is everyone's running round like hysterical housewives screaming that this person should go or we'll definitely be relegated, or that person should go or we'll definitely be relegated

It's like watching mad chickens clucking round a yard

lol

But it's still people on here talking which is the point (and your raison d'etre) isn't it?

2 hours ago, DJMortimer said:

And this is not a defence of Monk in particular by the way as I'm completely ambivalent about his future. The club at most levels was in a mess even before the current upheaval. Manager is just one part of it, and not necessarily the one making the biggest impact. Whatever has been happening in recent months, I think it's pretty clear that some of it at least is beyond his control and therefore not fixed simply with swapping him for someone else.

Doesn't help when the manager doesn't even acknowledge a player coming back to the squad from a loan spell though does it? He could have at least taken a look at him or informed him that he had assessed his progress and deemed him not to be good enough at this time. Goodness know why he wouldn't have considered him worth involving in a few training sessions to make his own assessment though given that his choice of squad for 3 months has been in terrible form.

12 minutes ago, hirstyboywonder said:

Doesn't help when the manager doesn't even acknowledge a player coming back to the squad from a loan spell though does it? He could have at least taken a look at him or informed him that he had assessed his progress and deemed him not to be good enough at this time. Goodness know why he wouldn't have considered him worth involving in a few training sessions to make his own assessment though given that his choice of squad for 3 months has been in terrible form.

The full extent of that post was on a broader point that frustrates me all the time.

As for this specific issue; on the face of it, that doesn't look good. You'd have thought it was the very basics of courtesy, even if he thinks Stobbs is a poor player or if the notification of release is handled by someone else. Nor does it do anything to discourage the idea that Monk treats the squad as 'insiders' and 'outsiders', which it seems to me is counter-productive in all but the most extreme circumstances. Whatever the truth, the football results have been abysmal and there's not much to feel good about.

6 hours ago, GHS said:

Seemed a likable lad, unfortunately we kept hold too long and should have released him a while ago.

He'll ply his trade in L2/L1 no doubt and forge a good career.

Best of luck to him.

Probably will but when a player has made such a commitment to a club he loves, he should be the decent thing to help them find another club and career.

Edited by fatzooma

Guest LittleG
4 hours ago, @owlstalk said:

My point is everyone's running round like hysterical housewives screaming that this person should go or we'll definitely be relegated, or that person should go or we'll definitely be relegated

It's like watching mad chickens clucking round a yard

lol

Unfortunately mate, because this is a football forum, people are going to express many different opinions, of which there will be some that others don't agree with. Just grin and bear it.

12 minutes ago, Shiregreenowl 80 said:

Jesus!!  So from this quote  the wise people owlstalk  have worked out that  all players  hate Monk..   Oh  by the way how's  Chris  O'grady's  gangrene? lol

Screenshot_20200513_181649.jpg

Not sure it is the only issue people are judging Monk on.

Are you saying this isn't something worth having an opinion on as a supporter or are you suggesting it isn't true?

5 hours ago, gurujuan said:

Good luck Jack, and maybe we’ll see you again

Maybe if we playing somebody like Stocksbridge in pre season. Seems a nice lad but been obvious for many years he not got what it takes. And the fact that nobody has really taken a chance with him on loan  apart from the last one in Scotland which apart from a fantastic goal  was pretty poor!  And that league is league 1 at best

14 minutes ago, hirstyboywonder said:

Not sure it is the only issue people are judging Monk on.

Are you saying this isn't something worth having an opinion on as a supporter or are you suggesting it isn't true?

If we had not had this almighty flop in our season  and still in 3rd nobody would mention it. Stobbs has never met monk and never part of first team. This happens at most clubs up and down the country. These days not everything goes through managers in these times. And that's not me saying I'm a monk supporter but at same time these problems have been happening under previous managers.  

2 minutes ago, Shiregreenowl 80 said:

If we had not had this almighty flop in our season  and still in 3rd nobody would mention it. Stobbs has never met monk and never part of first team. This happens at most clubs up and down the country. These days not everything goes through managers in these times. And that's not me saying I'm a monk supporter but at same time these problems have been happening under previous managers.  

I'd have thought it common courtesy for the manager of the club to have some sort of chat with a first team squad player returning from a loan spell, even more so when he hasn't met him before as a form of introduction and letting him know where he stands.

The comments may have gone largely unnoticed if we were still 3rd but that wouldn't make it right and the fact is we aren't.

3 minutes ago, hirstyboywonder said:

I'd have thought it common courtesy for the manager of the club to have some sort of chat with a first team squad player returning from a loan spell, even more so when he hasn't met him before as a form of introduction and letting him know where he stands.

The comments may have gone largely unnoticed if we were still 3rd but that wouldn't make it right and the fact is we aren't.

First team squad player?? :laugh: I'd imagine he's been contacted by head of youth development where he has played his 99.9% of games, who know him inside out and give him sincere advice.  Modern day football  the manager doesn't control everything at the club. Hence there tag name of "head coach" 

49 minutes ago, Shiregreenowl 80 said:

First team squad player?? :laugh: I'd imagine he's been contacted by head of youth development where he has played his 99.9% of games, who know him inside out and give him sincere advice.  Modern day football  the manager doesn't control everything at the club. Hence there tag name of "head coach" 

Fair enough but we'll have to disagree on this. I would imagine that the first team coach would have had some say on whether he wanted to keep him on given his age and the fact he was on a pro contract. 

I think the right decision has been made in not giving him a new deal but Monk could have at least assessed him given he was on a pro contract and he has managed to get the rest of his squad playing to League One standard for the past 3 months. 

19 minutes ago, hirstyboywonder said:

Fair enough but we'll have to disagree on this. I would imagine that the first team coach would have had some say on whether he wanted to keep him on given his age and the fact he was on a pro contract. 

I think the right decision has been made in not giving him a new deal but Monk could have at least assessed him given he was on a pro contract and he has managed to get the rest of his squad playing to League One standard for the past 3 months. 

Like managers gone before?   I'm not a monk fan but it's plain to see that a lot of these players have been here too long  and well past there sell by date,  can pull in performance when in mood but soon as a bit of pressure  they crumble.  As for stobbs  how do you know he's not had  him watch?  In interviews monk has said they kept an eye on penny.  But when things are not right on pitch we look for every little thing of it to be outraged!  "pies are a degree too cold". "can't get a beach towel  in December"  yes there are real problems  on and off pitch  but these types of  thing in my opinion just non sense!   Just like when we win more than two game on trot it's "hms wee wee league" 

3 hours ago, Shiregreenowl 80 said:

I think it’s fair to say he rates Dawson, Pelupessy and Da Cruz and that f***ing raises the alarm bells that we’re only going one way with our latest managerial mastermind?

9 hours ago, agentwalker said:

Good luck to him, but during his time at Wednesday I think I've seen more of him on Instagram with his bird than on a pitch with a Wednesday shirt on.

The lad is punching out of his depth definitely.

8 hours ago, matt68owls said:

especially at Hillsborough, who was the last player to come through the ranks to play at a high standard?

Not sure on that one, only one that comes to mind is Jon Newsome? Must be someone since him?

11 minutes ago, Harrysgame said:

Not sure on that one, only one that comes to mind is Jon Newsome? Must be someone since him?

Depends how you define 'a high standard'. If Prem level then Alan Quinn and Del Geary (although Dublin youth sides would have had some role in developing both). 

if Champo level then Palmer and the two 'keepers now, and then the class of 2005 (Beevers, Spurr, Wood, Talbot) and the likes of Hamshaw, Bromby and Owen Morrison before that.

If top-top-top-player level then all the way back to Zico Sterland. I presume we don't get to count Vardy...

Unless I'm forgetting a couple (and no, Nathan Modest doesn't count), we had a terrible track record between around 2007 and 2018...

5 hours ago, hirstyboywonder said:

Not that I don't think Stobbs has got to the stage now where he should move on but it does make you wonder if Penney will get the same treatment. Monk won't haver seen him play or train, will he be just let go when his contract is up without the chance to impress the manager.