Promotion - On this day 40 years ago

52 minutes ago, dunsbyowl said:

Hail the boys of 1979/80 - #Onthisday 40 years ago, despite losing 0-1 away at Exeter - the wonderful Wednesday club of Sheffield were promoted from Division 3. What a time ! #NeverbeMastered

1310003903_Exeter1980.jpeg.6d5da60b3b982bf4a902095b74f10d25.jpeg

1876637154_Promotion1980b.jpeg.d6ab4df091aee9a881051d3ed8ba97c0.jpeg

863350377_Scan(19).jpg.b97b243c053b148ba9346abf219e3633.jpg

Remember the game as if it was yesterday !  A gang of us went down On the intercity owl in fancy dress. The result didn’t matter, but what a day    UTO 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, kevtheowl said:

Remember the game as if it was yesterday !  A gang of us went down On the intercity owl in fancy dress. The result didn’t matter, but what a day    UTO 

I went down on train, I think inter city owl took 2 trains. 

Mark Smith missed a penalty towards end if I remember right. 

Exeter gave us there kop that day, it was packed solid with hundreds more in other areas of ground. 

• Like 2

We were terrible that day. Mark Smith missed his first penalty for us and the initial rumour, at full time, was that Chesterfield had won at Millwall. That would have meant, with their game in hand (away to United!), that they could still overtake us. Then it came on the radio that they had lost....

On the train back to London with my girlfriend and we were in the buffet with the London Owls....and the referee with signed match ball. It was the last match he was in charge of before retiring. My God did we get him slaughtered....

Just now, bradowl said:

I went down on train, I think inter city owl took 2 trains. 

Mark Smith missed a penalty towards end if I remember right. 

Exeter gave us there kop that day, it was packed solid with hundreds more in other areas of ground. 

I got train too. I remember prisoners waving their mugs through the bars while we waited at the station after the game. 

I also remember being really deflated - especially because Smithy never missed penalties - and then the players came out celebrating and the mood changed. 

Great weekend, 5 of us left Killamarsh at 5am, lousy match which didn't matter, got the news that we were promoted just before the end when a guy with a transistor radio announced that Chesterfield had lost at Millwall.   Stayed in Torquay that night, serious celebrations with thousands of other owl's fans. Great season and we were on our way back!! 

What a weekend , Exeter fans could not believe our celebrations. IF I recall a Wednesday fan ran on the pitch with his transistor to his ear 

and went to Big Jack told him Chessie had lost ,we all went ballistic. Great night in Weston Supermare!

The ecstatic Wednesday fan in question can be seen in the above photos, right hand side, 3rd photo down standing behind Ray Blackball? and the other fan, I'm sure he initially ran on the pitch and informed Mick Pickering, the news then filtered through to our other players!!

What a great weekend.. the first success id ever known. We kidnapped a blade on the friday night. He thought we were joking and wed let him out of the car, but we didnt lol, so he had to come along with us.

Probably my favourite season.....and the music at that time was brilliant

• Like 1

40 years though....where did they go

40 years, i dont know

I sit and i wonder sometimes, where theyve gone.

Sometimes, late at night, when im bathed in the fire light

The moon comes calling, a ghostly white

And i recall.....i recall.....

5 points to anyone who gets that

Edited by wakefieldowl

Went down on the ICO train, same carriage as Sammy.

Train stopped at Derby for 2 minutes, Sammy got off and charged into some Derby fans before being dragged back on the train.

Had my booze taken off me at the ground (not a lot left) while we waited for the home fans to be taken off their end so we could go in it.

Poor game as I remember but a good outcome in the end.

I don’t remember much about the journey home.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, wakefieldowl said:

40 years though....where did they go

40 years, i dont know

I sit and i wonder sometimes, where theyve gone.

Sometimes, late at night, when im bathed in the fire light

The moon comes calling, a ghostly white

And i recall.....i recall.....

5 points to anyone who gets that

Like a Rock !