Promotion - On this day 40 years ago

We were told " Yeah sure there'll be a Buffet car, it's Exeter not Chesterfield" I walked the length of all the carriages ' No Buffet Car' !

A police cordon was waiting for us as we stepped out of the station. A copper blocked me off as I tried to cross the road to a general store. It seemed quite a walk to the ground. The pies had sold out before kick off, what a poke hole Exeter was proving to be. A pi55 poor performance and a 1-0 loss didn't inspire me even though I knew we were up. My hunger pangs had got the better of me. Police were just as brutal on the way back to Exeter station. All aboard, my god no kin buffet car again. I tried one or two burger place in town without any luck, even the Fargate Whimpy was closed. Taxi home Sausage, eggs and chips pile of bread and loads of relish. Slept like a baby woke up about noon.       

• Like 2

9 hours ago, nevthelodgemoorowl said:

We were told " Yeah sure there'll be a Buffet car, it's Exeter not Chesterfield" I walked the length of all the carriages ' No Buffet Car' !

A police cordon was waiting for us as we stepped out of the station. A copper blocked me off as I tried to cross the road to a general store. It seemed quite a walk to the ground. The pies had sold out before kick off, what a poke hole Exeter was proving to be. A pi55 poor performance and a 1-0 loss didn't inspire me even though I knew we were up. My hunger pangs had got the better of me. Police were just as brutal on the way back to Exeter station. All aboard, my god no kin buffet car again. I tried one or two burger place in town without any luck, even the Fargate Whimpy was closed. Taxi home Sausage, eggs and chips pile of bread and loads of relish. Slept like a baby woke up about noon.       

You've got a great memory I'll give you that pal 

There were a lot of Wednesdayites in the tap room of The Stag in Rotherham in those days - we hired a mini-bus and went down Friday night.  I remember stopping in the midlands and having a few drinks with West Brom fans before sleeping in the bus - some slept outside.  We set off early and went to the beach at Exmouth, before going up to Exeter for the game.  The first I knew that we were promoted was when Jack ran onto the field to celebrate at the end - then the team came down to our end to celebrate some more.  From what I remember, we weren't mathematically up, but the goal difference was so good that we weren't going to be caught in the last game.

After 10 years of misery 79/80 was a great season. Boxing Day was and remains a great memory but the ultimate prize was to get out of this awful league.

Also, looking at that squad of players, I have no doubt they could play the current shower we have down at Hillsborough off the park...