Should Sheffield Wednesday follow suit..?

1 hour ago, The Horse said:

No.
The NHS are now getting free Burger King & KFC.
What about the rest of the key workers - what are they getting?
It's like a competition to see who can virtue signal and throw as much free stuff at the NHS.

NHS get a blue lightcard and armed forces can get similar for discounts. Go join one of them if it grates on you so much that they’re getting a free KFC.
However, I do think dependant on job role there should be some X factor pay, if the job entitles being exposed to potential hazards or in this case work in care homes etc. 
Realistically, a delivery driver for example isn’t putting himself in harms way as they’re all contactless with social distancing measures in place.  

Edited by robowl4life

We should not follow this.

our players have consistently supported the nhs through hospital visits over the years. We don’t need to jump on this bandwagon, we have been in the driving seat for many years.

it never fails to sicken me seeing tories preen over the nhs in this crisis. The hypocrisy is an outrage . 

1 hour ago, Ronnie Starling said:

How much?

A proper living wage which is comparable to the value of their profession, which should be double in some cases as what they earn now.

I have spent my career in health & Social care and it is so underpaid and under valued.

5 minutes ago, mcmigo said:

We should not follow this.

our players have consistently supported the nhs through hospital visits over the years. We don’t need to jump on this bandwagon, we have been in the driving seat for many years.

it never fails to sicken me seeing tories preen over the nhs in this crisis. The hypocrisy is an outrage . 

The NHS has now been turned into a religion. I think that it was Jeremy Corbyn and his cohorts who coined the phrase "Our NHS" this was then jumped on by the other parties and its now a competition to see who can fawn over our hospitals & healthworkers for political benefit. It goes without saying that we are all amazingly proud of our health workers but its what they sign up for when they choose to become a nurse, doctor, porter, lab technician etc etc. I for one wont be virtue signalling and clapping like a seal on my front door step at 8pm. I show my gratitude by paying my taxes that fund the service.

7 minutes ago, Big Jack said:

A proper living wage which is comparable to the value of their profession, which should be double in some cases as what they earn now.

I have spent my career in health & Social care and it is so underpaid and under valued.

But how much? What's a proper living wage. How is it undervalued? Look at everyone clapping on a Thursday night, look at the support across the media. Everywhere you go there is support so it can't be under valued.

Yea it's a strange time. Emergency services are either really busy or really dead but are exposed much more regularly to confirmed cases then say a delivery driver. 

I do agree they should be paid more, and MPs should be taking a pay cut, how they decide the rate of pay for all each year and never fail to give themselves tax breaks and pay rises way above inflation is remarkable. 

Back on the actual topic, I wouldn't be against wearing shirts like that as a one off then selling them and donating to the NHS what is raised, think over a season it's a token gesture more then anything 

43 minutes ago, Weshallovercome said:

It was a nice gesture in a morally corrupt sport at a time we could least afford to do it.

I believe we donated to the Children's Hospital as well as giving them a 'higher profile'.

It made me warm and fuzzy.

Yea it was, and it was a nice shirt too. Wouldn't be against us supporting local charities as a regular thing, maybe on the 3rd kit each season? 

8 hours ago, matthefish2002 said:

I dont know what having 'Thank You NHS' on the front of the shirt achieves apart from virtue signalling.

Doesn't buy 1 ventilator, mask or bandage.

Would have been better to have it sponsored by a company and giving the money to an NHS charity.

Yes that’s a great idea, I’m sure our well oiled marketing machine will be in touch. 

5 hours ago, Ronnie Starling said:

Morrisons are giving 10% discount to the NHS workers too. You can get a cheap lease deal on a car if you work for the NHS through their lease scheme. Not seen any discounts for transport workers, bin men/women, care home workers, post men/women or the military. Will we see a discount price band for NHS workers on season tickets next?

An NHS viewpoint, Sorry to be a killjoy

1 Be wary of that lease deal.
2 It would have to be a monumental discount to tempt me into parting with my disposable income. I’m probably in the minority, I haven’t missed football, although I’m sure I will eventually.

7 hours ago, room0035 said:

There is so much focus on the NHS they are doing a good job under difficult circumstances. But there are many many other people keeping this country running from the supermarket staff, to the delivery drivers, to the armed forces.

I just wish we said Thank you to the all - some of the things supermarket staff are having to deal with on a daily basis is disgusting. These people are not on millions of pounds a year like the footballer many of them are barely above minimum wage.

And though people wont remember them the job, the government are doing to stop many millions of people being made redundant, they are putting money in everyone pocket and propping up many business that other countries are doing very little towards, the daily battle they have to keep the hospitals stocked when everyone in the world is trying to get the same item it has been tight but those that need it have not gone without. Everyone is making a great effort and all should be honour or at the very least given more gratitude that currently they are getting.

Thanks! 

59 minutes ago, Sergeant Tibbs said:

An NHS viewpoint, Sorry to be a killjoy

1 Be wary of that lease deal.
2 It would have to be a monumental discount to tempt me into parting with my disposable income. I’m probably in the minority, I haven’t missed football, although I’m sure I will eventually.

Me neither. Sad really that we get ourselves worked up and emotional only to be let down time and time again but it's just a group of overpaid charlatans trying to kick a bag of wind into a net. Not exactly discovering a vaccine for a life threatening virus is it?

11 minutes ago, Ronnie Starling said:

Me neither. Sad really that we get ourselves worked up and emotional only to be let down time and time again but it's just a group of overpaid charlatans trying to kick a bag of wind into a net. Not exactly discovering a vaccine for a life threatening virus is it?

Now more than ever, it is glaringly obvious this sport is over indulgent. 
But will that stop the greed ? I doubt it will change things at the top, whilst those at the bottom will face a long way back.

5 hours ago, horny owl said:

All key workers need recognition 

I have a friend who works for the NHS who says they’ve never been so quiet 

There are lots of myths surrounding this corona virus

Not surprising with our corrupt media

The hospitals are relatively quiet as they cleared out patients a few weeks back waiting for the storm to come. They seem to be in control of things in not being overwhelmed by cases and have had to work hard behind the scenes putting in the infrastructure to prepare for things.

It makes you wonder if all those procurement departments across the NHS Trusts are necessary when everybody blames the Health Secretary for the "lack of PPE". Isn't that their role?