Players we signed in their twilight years

s28969.jpg

Not the ones who blatantly just came here for a final pay day, but the ones with illustrious careers, who's best days were probably behind them, but who came and gave it everything, and did a proper job for us.

I can hark back to Willie Henderson, Kenny Knighton, Mick Lyons, more recently Viv Anderson.

Those blokes would have run through a brick wall for us, and achieved legendary status.

Who else made you think, I wish we'd signed them sooner, and had them longer?

19 minutes ago, FlyingOwl said:

Not in the same league but Steve Howard was one of the most bizarre loan deals I’ve seen us make. Jumped up the leagues, came to us about 7 years after the clamber to sign him at his peak, did a fine job and scored a cracking goal to help keep us up.

5 goals in 46 games 

Hardly great 

4 minutes ago, WelshOwl74 said:

5 goals in 46 games 

Hardly great 

he only played half a dozen games for us and scored goal to keep us up .

Guest wilyfox

Can think of many has-beens, but not so many that worked out well. From recent times, I'd say Loovens. His Cardiff & Celtic days were well behind him, and he was drifting in no-mans land as a free agent. Became our supreme captain. 

Guest wilyfox

I'd also suggest Oguchi Onyewu. I thought he did well during his brief spell. Experienced, physical presence, commanding, I wanted him to stay longer.