Players we signed in their twilight years

Guest wilyfox
11 minutes ago, steelerian said:

Francis is without doubt the best. Even at 37 or whatever he was, his class shone through. Viv probably a close 2nd.

Micky Gray was a fantastic player. He was a class above everything else in our squad at the time. I'm very surprised to see a quote saying someone wasnt keen on him.

I didn't say Michael Gray was a bad player. Clearly had pedigree. I thought he started out well here, but faded. I remember watching him and Jeffers pinging balls to each other at half-time during an away match at QPR, thinking these two are going through the motions at a time we needed them to lead by example. They were peripheral figures as we slid to relegation. He later came out and criticised the professionalism of the squad - which he was part of, and contributed very little. 

17 hours ago, steelerian said:

Francis is without doubt the best. Even at 37 or whatever he was, his class shone through. Viv probably a close 2nd.

Micky Gray was a fantastic player. He was a class above everything else in our squad at the time. I'm very surprised to see a quote saying someone wasnt keen on him.

Not Lee Bullen? 33 when we signed him and got 4 years out of him

On 19/04/2020 at 13:59, mcmigo said:

Big viv was a fantastic player. As hard as nails, still a good athlete at 36 years old and was a master of timing and defensive nous. 

Atkinson brought him in as a right back and I recall him being pretty ordinary there. But after he moved into the middle he was imperious. Like you say, he just knew what he was doing and loved the battle. Always seemed like a good bloke for the dressing room as well.

Didn't do too much due to career ending injury early in his Wednesday career but I always liked Chris Marsden. Unsung hero of very good Southampton side from late 90's early 00's.

Brought in by Cris Turner when he signed 10 new players that Sturrock got promoted. Was supposed to boss midfield alongside Whelan, bring much needed experience and know how and captain what was fairly young side.

Will never forget how he agreed to leave the club when he got injured in order to help us financialy.

On 19/04/2020 at 08:27, malek said:

Trevor Francis

On 19/04/2020 at 10:47, Holmowl said:

Changed games. His sheer class shone thru when he came on.

20 hours ago, steelerian said:

I think it is just an excellent tactic for a 2nd or 3rd division club to bring in an ageing international footballer to play 30mins or so a game. It brings experience , stability and maturity to the team.

There was a reason why Clough paid the record transfer fee for Trevor Francis and the reason is  Trevor Francis  was a world class footballer.

It was a masterstroke by Ron Atkinson to bring him to Hillsborough.

Edited by Geedee

17 hours ago, DJMortimer said:

Atkinson brought him in as a right back and I recall him being pretty ordinary there. But after he moved into the middle he was imperious. Like you say, he just knew what he was doing and loved the battle. Always seemed like a good bloke for the dressing room as well.

I was at his debut at Hull when he played RB and he was absolutely awful. I remember thinking how can a player who played there for years and achieved so much with Forest, Man Utd, Arsenal and England be so bad in that position. But when he moved to CB we got a great couple of years out of him.