Players we signed in their twilight years

Ryan Lowe and Mark Robbins. Perfect League one signings despite their advancing years at the time. They scored some very important goals in the years we were down at that level.

Jimmy Quinn. For that one goal he scored against Hull City that guaranteed our Playoff spot in 2004/05.

Mark Crossley. Excellent in his younger days. Not a wonderful goalkeeper for us since he was ancient and carrying some timber, but did score a goal 😆😆😆

• Like 1

Big viv was a fantastic player. As hard as nails, still a good athlete at 36 years old and was a master of timing and defensive nous. As has been said, Loovens was tremendous right until the final season he played for us.

Barry Horne wasn’t bad in the short spell he was with us in a dreadful team. Soldvet  and ekoku were also good players who stood out in the grim shreeves and Taffy years.

Guest Bulgaria
5 hours ago, fpowl said:

Barry Horne 

Was gonna say the same. We were dogger when he came and he made our players look shocking.

How old was he, about 40?!!

Guest Bulgaria
1 hour ago, poite said:

Was he a goal keeper or a striker?

With a name like double post, my guess he was a keeper.

Guest wilyfox

The curious case of Roger Johnson. Completely off his títs at Wolves. Came here and did really well, then moved on and lost the plot again. Bizarrely, we somehow managed to get him for one of the best spells in his career, albeit brief. 

Edited by wilyfox

Glenn Loovens I thought he was older but he was 30 when we signed and for 4 seasons he was immense and leader of a great defence. Not your usual aggressive tackling defender who you notice, but just a very intelligent and calm player. 

Edited by flo
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, mcmigo said:

Palmer was dreadful in his final loan spell ! Gardner definitely , lovely footballer.

him and soltvedt helped to keep us up but then I think he came back for a third spell at the club and didn’t do so well and fell out with a few. 

8 hours ago, pazowl55 said:

Anybody know who the oldest player we have signed is.?

good question..Francis must be up there. 

Remember when the goalkeeper coach played? So he must be registered as a player, although we probably didn’t sign him for that reason. Nixon wasn’t it? He must have been pretty old

2 hours ago, Rogers said:

good question..Francis must be up there. 

Remember when the goalkeeper coach played? So he must be registered as a player, although we probably didn’t sign him for that reason. Nixon wasn’t it? He must have been pretty old

12 hours ago, wilyfox said:

Watson is a great shout. He oozed quality. I wasn't so keen on Gray.

Francis is without doubt the best. Even at 37 or whatever he was, his class shone through. Viv probably a close 2nd.

Micky Gray was a fantastic player. He was a class above everything else in our squad at the time. I'm very surprised to see a quote saying someone wasnt keen on him.

Another shout for Efan Ekoku - he was still rapid at 33 and scored 20 goals over two seasons that helped keep us up and carried us to an unlikely League Cup semi. The year after we sold him we went down.

Wish we'd signed him years earlier when we sold Warhurst - he wasn't as good as Hirst/Bright at their peak but would have done a much better job than some of the Watson/Humphries/Booth/Whittingham mix of other strikers we had filling in.

bit  before my time but signing the has been  32 year old jimmy seed was the best bit of business the club ever did …. other end of the scale would be Robbie Mustoe who didn't cover himself in glory in his time here .