George Boyd on Steven Fletcher training levels

George Boyd talking to The Athletic about Steven Fletcher

“Maybe it’s why he gets injured quite a bit because he’s always 100% and always has his body on the line.

“He trains every day as if he is playing. The young boys can only look up to that. He’s just a class act. I first met him in the Scotland squad so I’d seen him train before I joined Wednesday.”

He added: “He is definitely one of the best finishers I have played with.”

Owlstalk Shop

On 16/04/2020 at 06:50, @owlstalk said:

“Maybe it’s why he gets injured quite a bit because he’s always 100% and always has his body on the line.

“He trains every day as if he is playing. The young boys can only look up to that. He’s just a class act. I first met him in the Scotland squad so I’d seen him train before I joined Wednesday.”

This is one of the many reasons we need to keep this man at the club - wages of course dependent 

He's not the first person to make such comments.

I was dubious when we signed Fletcher as he had a bit of a reputation but it seems it was unfounded as he has been 100% since day one.

39 minutes ago, hirstyboywonder said:

He's not the first person to make such comments.

I was dubious when we signed Fletcher as he had a bit of a reputation but it seems it was unfounded as he has been 100% since day one.

I’m good mates with his cousin and he was flash with his money, but a wife and family have realigned his priorities  

21 hours ago, pazowl55 said:

Must be kept at all costs for me. And because of what's going on at the minute I dont think he will hold the club to ransom over a new deal.

hardly "at all costs". on reduced terms, maybe.

56 minutes ago, steelerian said:

hardly "at all costs". on reduced terms, maybe.

Maybe in keeping with the impact of the Coronavirus. So if all new contract offered fall by say 20% then his should too. But otherwise I dont think we should be reducing his terms. he's probably our most consistent player at the moment. Why should he be offered a lower wage on the back of that. Look at Glenn Murray. I see no reason why Fletcher cant be as good as he is now for the next 2 seasons. Especially after comments Boyd just made about him.

Best finishers?  I would say that's one of his faults that he needs three chances to score.    Dam decent player though. 

On 07/05/2020 at 20:54, pazowl55 said:

Must be kept at all costs for me. And because of what's going on at the minute I dont think he will hold the club to ransom over a new deal.

Disagree. Yes be looking to keep him but not at all costs.

Let's not forget he has been a bit injury prone during his time here.

37 minutes ago, matthefish2002 said:

Disagree. Yes be looking to keep him but not at all costs.

Let's not forget he has been a bit injury prone during his time here.

He has been. but the players that are not injury prone out of all our out of contract players are the ones everyone wants gone first.  Also after months in lockdown 50% of the player will probably be injury prone now to a degree. 

7 minutes ago, pazowl55 said:

He has been. but the players that are not injury prone out of all our out of contract players are the ones everyone wants gone first.  Also after months in lockdown 50% of the player will probably be injury prone now to a degree. 

I would be looking to keep Fletcher but wouldnt brake the bank for him at all.

Clubs had fingers burned countless times giving contracts to players with poor fitness records before.

11 minutes ago, matthefish2002 said:

I would be looking to keep Fletcher but wouldnt brake the bank for him at all.

Clubs had fingers burned countless times giving contracts to players with poor fitness records before.

I wouldn't go over the top. Me saying 'at all costs' may have been a bit extreme. But I definitely wouldn't be offering him reduced terms,  unless its due to financial restrictions because of Coronavirus.

5 hours ago, Inspector Lestrade said:

Best finishers?  I would say that's one of his faults that he needs three chances to score.    Dam decent player though. 

Bit of a cliche tbh.

All strikers miss chances and you could find that ratio for players at the highest level.

He has carried our forward threat on his own this season

6 hours ago, Belfast Owl 2 said:

Bit of a cliche tbh.

All strikers miss chances and you could find that ratio for players at the highest level.

It is a cliche but to delve a little deeper ,I would say that he misses chances that he knows he should have scored.  Not the ones where he could have scored. He often demonstrates this by his reaction at such misses. 

I have been really impressed with him this season and if all the players had risen to the heights they are capable of then we would still be at the right end of the table.

Fletch is an absolute machine, he's got better and better here.

I definitely want to keep him but not at any cost, it also depends on who else is available. I bet a few players who were dragging out contract negotiations are regretting that now, I can see there being a wage dip across the board at this level.

The free agent market could be bigger than normal this summer.

Edited by Owls2k

On 09/05/2020 at 01:05, Belfast Owl 2 said:

Bit of a cliche tbh.

I remember being at Leppings Lane end v Chelsea way back, and Greaves in his young prime was sent through from half way line, only Springett to beat. He put it wide and Swanny, an England mate, who had been chasing him to no avail, put his arm round Greaves, and Greaves put his head on Swanny's shoulder. We all thought, well he can miss sometimes then. Greaves was the deadliest finisher ever. .