Things you remember when you started going to Hillsborough

Guest Garryswfcowl72

Night matches stick in my memory more than Saturday games. The ramp onto the Kop in the North East corner and that first view of the pitch, staring at the driving rain caught in the floodlights, the cushions thrown from the Cantilever (as I knew it a a kid) , scalding hot OXO drinks on cold nights, my uncle sharing his extra strong mints, Eric Potts, cigarette/cigar smoke, being shielded from the crowd by my Dad and Uncle on the way out, the seemingly endless walk back to the car. Magical.

Pie and Bovril at half time

smell of cigarette and cigar smoke

fans on the Leppings lane and the Kop, waving their arms from side to side above their heads, to each other.

wearing a silk scarf around my wrist and the blue and white woolly scarf round the neck.

letters for half time scores on the south and north stand (always remember Doncaster beating Reading 5-3 at half time, ended 7-5 with Kerry Dixon scoring 4 for Reading).

cushions in the north stand (most ended up on the pitch).

The Sheffield Wednesday Neon sign outside the kop.

How shyte Wednesday were at football (I started going in 73/74).

Edited by matt68owls

2 hours ago, Eastern said:

Does anyone else remember the narrow corridor in the South Stand?

Ran the whole length I think.

Yes, used to leave the Kop after a televised game, and enter the South to watch Keith Macklin doing an interview with one of the players on the touch line.

The corridor passed the dressing rooms where there was a strong smell of liniment  oil.

Edited by marconi

My first games attending Hillsbrough were all night games using my Aunties season ticket.

The floodlights looked tremendous driving down Halifax Rd on a Winters night. The smell of Bovril as we walked along the North Stand concourse and finally how green the pitch was under the flood lights...

Special times and great players...

2 hours ago, Harry Cannister said:

The crush to get the Football Special bus back to town.

The smell of fags and matches.

Walking through the middle tunnel on the Leppings lane end to be greeted by a vast football stadium

Oh yeah the special bus, followed by waiting for the green en in town after 

26 minutes ago, unkastav said:

Was it used as a walkway before the south stand upgraded? Always used to tell the daughter she was going in there if she didnt shut up and watch the match

I think it went when the South Stand had the top tier added around 1995/96.

39 minutes ago, TheMagicOfWaddle said:

The smell of the glossy, colour pages of The Football League Review, which was an insert into the (non-glossy, monochromatic) Owls programme when my aunt started taking me to matches in about 1967 or 68. Can’t remember if the insert was every week or just monthly. 

I remember the national inserts being in the Match Day Programmes right up to the mid eighties.Wasn't really enthuastic about them being in our programmes tbh.:tango:

Standing with all the bus drivers on the Leppings Lane end. Outside the ground was like a buses' graveyard.

Getting free tickets because I played for the primary school football team on Saturday mornings (just to qualify this statement... I was only 10 at the time!)

Being amazed to learn just how far you can throw a cushion from the back of the North Stand.

Rattles and rosettes... people wearing silly top hats and painted shoes, FGS.

Half-time entertainment - sometimes we actually got a brass band.

(PS Anybody here remember referees wearing blazers? When did this stop? I reckon it was sometime in the 60s but may be wrong)

54 minutes ago, Musn't Grumble said:

Standing with all the bus drivers on the Leppings Lane end. Outside the ground was like a buses' graveyard.

Getting free tickets because I played for the primary school football team on Saturday mornings (just to qualify this statement... I was only 10 at the time!)

Being amazed to learn just how far you can throw a cushion from the back of the North Stand.

Rattles and rosettes... people wearing silly top hats and painted shoes, FGS.

Half-time entertainment - sometimes we actually got a brass band.

(PS Anybody here remember referees wearing blazers? When did this stop? I reckon it was sometime in the 60s but may be wrong)

Down to row 8 you barsteward:duntmatter:

Always wondered who that was

Edited by unkastav
  • Haha 1