Things you remember when you started going to Hillsborough

Guest Garryswfcowl72

Guest Garryswfcowl72

Was thinking about old things I remember when I was a lad at Hillsborough. always rememember the alphabet signs on The north & south with the latest scores looking on the back of the programmes to see how blunts were going on this was long before scoreboards obviously . Also the teams coming out separately .teams having only one sub .keepers without gloves .what are you memories of going to Hillsborough when you was younger ?

1956 - being lifted over the turnstiles by my Dad . Into the old wooden north stand . Wondering who kicked that big golden ball into the gable on the south stand . Wondering what all the fuss was about when we scored - against Villa - think we won 3 - 2 ..Then being somewhat scared by thousands of people all trying to get out at the same time . Funny how you get hooked on things that turn out to give you more lows than highs . Still there's always hope . 

Stay in, stay safe

The sign on the front of the kop. Walking down the tunnel at the side of the kop then seeing the pitch for the first time, bathed in sunshine and all lush and green at the beginning of the season. The old scoreboard at the top of the kop, the early seventies shirt without stripes, Peter Mellor's blonde hair (Fulham goalkeeper) the programmes with the "football review' free magazine inside,  walking through the five aches and seeing the ground lit up for a night match, the smell of cigars and Bovril.

Standing up against the crush barriers on the Kop always seemed really cool when you could actually get a space. You'd have to rock up early to get up against a barrier.

You'd be loving life but then we'd score and a thousand mad Wednesday fans would surge forward crushing your ribs up against the barrier.

Terrifying

Owlstalk Shop

4 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

Standing up against the crush barriers on the Kop always seemed really cool when you could actually get a space. You'd have to rock up early to get up against a barrier.

You'd be loving life but then we'd score and a thousand mad Wednesday fans would surge forward crushing your ribs up against the barrier.

Terrifying

The clever ones who got there early stood in front of the barrier. 😁

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Guest Garryswfcowl72
6 minutes ago, Bakewell Owl said:

an old bloke on the Kop just behind us who had a small radio welded to his ear, who used to shout out random scores

I remember that 

Standing on the crows nest  (north west corner) with my dad and seeing north stand erupt when we scored that was me hooked.

The smell of cigars to this day remind me of my early days at Hillsborough 

Toilet rolls cascading down the Kop when Wednesday came out of the tunnel

Edited by horny owl