Things you remember when you started going to Hillsborough

Guest Garryswfcowl72

4 hours ago, unkastav said:

Was it used as a walkway before the south stand upgraded? Always used to tell the daughter she was going in there if she didnt shut up and watch the match

It was entry and egress for the uncovered seats, which were separate from the main part of the stand.

How many blokes smoked pipes,it was like every other bloke smoked one and it used to just drift across the whole north stand and the smell of the pies at HT,the pies were summat else back in the 60s,proper crammed with meat,and wanging your cushion on the pitch at the end of a game,if wed lost,the sound of rattles I had a few different ones,and the smell of linament the players used to rub it into their legs prior to games,if you sat in the front few rows it was really noticeable

• Like 1

For me the most special day of the year was the Boxing day match. It had everything a day match and night match all rolled into one. Sometimes a light covering of frost or snow. The smell of Cigar smoke as it was drifting up into the glare of the floodlights. A battle of aroma as Rum, Fothergills meat pies, Mince Pies and Oxo all competed. The Hillsborough roar when we scored, we had some big crowds then. The Red shirt numbers on the blue and white stripes loved them. Not Boxing day but the joy of picking up a Green-Un as you got off the bus at Snig Hill, awe always seemed to be top six. Yes, I do remember the narrow corridor between the Terrace and the South stand and stood at the front of the terrace with our knees through the railings, a friendly copper would tell us off "Get yer legs out of the railings boys, if the ball hits your knees you'll be in the Infirmary" Tesco now at Albert Terrace Road. Happy Days,no Telly either as I was shushed on away Saturdays as my Dad demanded silence for the reading of the football results. Wish my Dad was still around to shush me.      

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Kendo Nagasaki said:

Scarves around your wrists, front few rows on the North or South standing up when Willie Henderson got the ball, the end is nigh man, the old kop scoreboard, alphabet score updates, thrown cushions, sacking Derek Dooley, Sammy being held aloft, cigs and bovril. 

Good old Sammy. Always thought we should have revived the Sammy song for Hutchinson or Winnall. Not going to happen now!

On 13/04/2020 at 12:32, sherlyegg said:

The End is Nigh man, wonder what happened to him?..

And the guy with the placard wit a picture of a coffin on it and the wording "After this - what next?".

For many seasons, he was the most cheerful part of going to Hillsborough:laugh:

Oh, and thousands of lights flickering at night matches as people lit up fags all over the ground, The fag and pipe smoke wafting across the pitch and you could actually see it under the floodlights but I never saw it in daylight. I'm sure lots of other people have put that but I'm lazy and there's more than a page of posts on this thread!

Walking towards the ground for a night match seeing the  the neon lights and the floodlights brightly shining.  The bloke selling Rosettes 

The bloke with the  End of the World Coming or something like that, sign

The smell walking in to the ground doesn't seem to smell anymore but there was a distinct smell. 

The Programmes sellers  been mobbed 

The cafe near the ground

The massive scoreboard at the back of the Kop with the missing characters 

The Crush Barriers on the Kop, the Kop looked massive. When I first went to Liverpool their Kop looked much smaller in comparison    

The Alphabet scoreboard

The Starman who threw his cap up in the air

Real Bovril drinks and Tasty Pies 

That narrow passageway running the length of the South Stand (believe its still there)

Adults swearing in front of kids, (I was shocked when I first heard the F word)

Loads of buses queuing to take fans back into town 

Stroking the police horses