91 Cup Final Full Match

4 minutes ago, DJMortimer said:

David Hirst is always complimentary about the graft Williams did on his behalf. But to be fair, his finishing wasn't great. I can't remember another player who I was so lacking in confidence with when it came to a one-on-one with the goalkeeper.

And Bright was certainly a good player for us, and yet I would so often get frustrated with Bright precisely for his finishing too. Of course, his scoring record was very good for us, but really, we created so many chances - he should've had twice as many.

I suppose its natural to call Bright Williams' replacement but they were quite different players. Certainly in the modern game we'd have probably looked to have both players in the squad.

1 hour ago, DJMortimer said:

I couldn't believe that when I watched it later. What an absolute bellend. Was he still on the sauce at that point?

Just typical Man Utd bias, even though they hadn't won the league for almost 25 years at the time the media loved them almost as much as they did Liverpool.

I remember us winning 2-0 at Old Trafford in 1986 (on my birthday!) in the ITV live Sunday game. Hughes clearly fouled Hodge whilst "scoring" with the goal rightly ruled out and the pundits were in uproar at half time saying it should have counted. Pretty sure it was Greaves that day too, I definitely remember Nat Lofthouse saying it was a good goal. 

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, alanharper said:

I remember us winning 2-0 at Old Trafford in 1986 (on my birthday!) in the ITV live Sunday game. Hughes clearly fouled Hodge whilst "scoring" with the goal rightly ruled out and the pundits were in uproar at half time saying it should have counted. Pretty sure it was Greaves that day too, I definitely remember Nat Lofthouse saying it was a good goal. 

Was that the game where Old Trafford had about 30 blades of grass on it and the pitch looked like flattened mud? I seem to remember them trying to disguise that with green sand. Chris Turner was in goal for them I think. There's tons of footage on YouTube from down the years, but that is one game I remember that I haven't seen since.

Edited by DJMortimer

27 minutes ago, DJMortimer said:

Was that the game where Old Trafford had about 30 blades of grass on it and the pitch looked like flattened mud? I seem to remember them trying to disguise that with green sand. Chris Turner was in goal for them I think. There's tons of footage on YouTube from down the years, but that is one game I remember that I haven't seen since.

That's the one. Sterland scored from the spot and Carl Shutt bagged the other. I remember I recorded it so watched it back several times over the next few years, it was such a rarity for Wednesday to be shown live on TV in those early pre-Sky days of live televised league games. 

4 hours ago, BIG D said:

Can't be long till Les Sealeys meltdown?

lol

Remember him having another meltdown in a game against us, the following season, whilst he was playing for Villa. When he was clearly behind the line with the ball and he was adamant that he stopped Jemson's header crossing the line. He was a nutcase. :ghoulguy:

• Haha 1

Really enjoyed that; I thought we looked more comfortable watching that than I felt watching it on the day. The biggest eye opener is watching the amount of full blooded slide tackles. Early on in the match Worthington ploughed into Dennis Irwin two footed and nobody seemed to care. We certainly made it a very uncomfortable match for them in the day, i only wish our players of today would show that bite for us. 

Big Ron was a cool customer wasn’t he. You could tell the players would run through a brick wall for him.

First time I've watched the whole thing in 29 years. Cracking stuff. Some random thoughts:

Chris Turner - athletic save near the end. Either couldn't kick very far or those old-fashioned footballs needed a proper welly (think it's probably the latter). He's giving it everything and its barely reaching the half-way line.

Roland Nilsson - Sharpe fades in the second half, but actually, although I remembered this as the game where he nullified Sharpe, Sharpe actually got the better of him a few times (once Roly is saved by getting a soft free kick). Grows into the game though

Shirtliff and Pearson - both immense, although aided by a) the backpass rule which makes those awkward moments in possession much easier and b) the rules in those days where they can go through the back of Hughes if you feel like it and not get booked. Still, they won almost everything in the air.

King - had a quietly excellent game

Harkes - almost played wing-back to cover Nilsson

Sheridan - think he might be my MoM, for that one moment of quality, and matched Ince and Robson for the rest of the game

Wilson - Someone else mentioned Worthington's two-footed lunge, Wilson does a few of these too, one stamp in particular would be a red these days - really did give it everything

Worthington - Had an off game, probably our worst player on the day, wasted a few of the (rare) attacking chances, including one excellent chance to square the ball in the first half and instead he just wellies sideways across the area for a throw-in

Hirst - Quiet by his standards at the time, but another underrated performance - he won his fair share of headers up against Bruce and Pallister and a couple of times turned and played in WIlliams expertly. Never got a sniff on goal himself unfortunately

Williams - really caused them problems with his pace, although actually had the best chance of the whole match and shanked it yards wide (the one with the Sealey knee/going mental incident). It looks like the defender gets back, but on the replay you see, no, its actually a horrible finish.

Sealey - absolute nutter. Reckon Fergie was afraid of subbing him off. Some proper old school football men in that United team - Robson, Hughes, Bruce, etc - and even they don't know what to do with him.

Irwin - Not used to seeing him at right back - the original Liam Palmer effect, mediocre right-footed full back, suddenly, and inexplicably becomes god-like left back

Jimmy Greaves - talks absolute cobblers for most of the match, and is the only man in the stadium who thinks its not a foul on Turner by Hughes, but strangely endearing

Gary Lineker - wonder if he's still got that yellow jacket?

On 03/04/2020 at 15:39, cowl said:

I often feel that whenever we look back on this era that Williams gets far less said and written about him than he deserves.

We finished 3rd the season after this too, after all, with Hirst and Williams being our first choice front pairing; the best finish we've had in almost 60 years.

100% this. Williams would do so well in the modern game with his movement.