Dom Howson on Rhodes and Forestieri..

9 hours ago, BullitsAA said:

When there are only 20 at any one time,  4-7 of those - maybe add 1 or 2 - wouldn't go anywhere near him for obvious reasons, he is in absolutely no way top level prem class, that only leaves say 13 clubs, on a free, I suspect there would be 3 or more very happy to sign him in, and I would argue that indeed, based on a certain level of implied thinking that is in fact a 'lot' of prem clubs , but maybe I should have just said a few for the sake of argument;)

When Watford got to the Prem, 4 seasons ago, he was one of their star players and a fans favourite. 

They happily offloaded him for 3m. 

Please tell me, since he joined SWFC, which PREM clubs have put a bid for him. 

Then tell me which other clubs have put a bid in for him.

Guest LondonOwl313
3 hours ago, Holmowl said:

I don’t think you’d find more than a handful of fans who wouldn’t want him to stay if we could be sure he’d give his all and be injury-free. But the odds of that must be  10/1.

We haven't a pot to pee in. That gamble is beyond us.

Ask yourself, would you offer a one-year contract to a 30 year old from another championship club, with Forestieri’s record? This site would melt down.

I reckon most fans of other clubs in this league would be excited to sign forestieri on a free this summer 

10 minutes ago, LondonOwl313 said:

I reckon most fans of other clubs in this league would be excited to sign forestieri on a free this summer 

As we were regarding the signing of Abdi and Rhodes (well, most of us at least).

Past reputations guarantee nothing and I suspect Forestieri's best days are well behind him.

3 hours ago, JOCOWl said:

On his day with a run of games he'd be our best player unfortunately we've not seen this for a couple of years, hence offer him a contract on our terms and he has to earn his money. 

Never get a run of games out of him either injured or suspended. The FF of 5 years ago was the best player in a talented squad sadly those days have past and its time to move him on and build with young hungry players.

Guest LondonOwl313
12 minutes ago, ChinaOwl said:

As we were regarding the signing of Abdi and Rhodes (well, most of us at least).

Past reputations guarantee nothing and I suspect Forestieri's best days are well behind him.

He needs a fresh start and I expect him to leave. But unlike the other two I think he’ll do something wherever he goes next 

Rhodes looks a complete passenger and Abdi was useless. FF still shows some quality here and there but for some reason it’s not clicking here 

12 hours ago, gurujuan said:

The issue for me is, can we replace him with better? Not many, if any, of the striking options we’ve brought in since, have been anywhere near as good as Fernando

Surely its not hard to replace someone who hardly plays and when he does has little or no impact. Its time to move on all those that dont contribute.

10 hours ago, BullitsAA said:

When there are only 20 at any one time,  4-7 of those - maybe add 1 or 2 - wouldn't go anywhere near him for obvious reasons, he is in absolutely no way top level prem class, that only leaves say 13 clubs, on a free, I suspect there would be 3 or more very happy to sign him in, and I would argue that indeed, based on a certain level of implied thinking that is in fact a 'lot' of prem clubs , but maybe I should have just said a few for the sake of argument;)

True figure is zero..

12 hours ago, Holmowl said:

It’s 90% likely that in August we will have a strike duo of Fletcher + one.

That one should be Rhodes. 

In tandem we’ve scored 18 goals in 612 minutes.

I couldn’t give two figs how Rhodes plays with Nuhiu, Winnall, Uncle Tom Cobley...Whoever starts in August will be stood next to Fletcher, and Fletcher-Rhodes works phenomenally well.

Why the neg @DJMortimer?

Its dull without Footie. Liven it up by saying what you disagree with. 

Do you think I’m wrong in my figures of 18 goals in 612 minutes? Or is that not a good partnership? Or what?

20 hours ago, mattitheowl said:

Mate that's fine, if you think I'm an idiot then that fills me with a level of confidence that I'm doing something right!

Do you know how I KNOW that FF isn't good enough to be playing in the top flight in numerous teams?  Because he's festering at a lower half Championship club who aren't going to offer him a new contract.  He was let go by a newly promoted Watford the year they got promoted, that was 5 years ago when he was in his pomp.  What makes you think he's got better since then?

Knew that would get you all tetchy ..

17 hours ago, LondonOwl313 said:

I’m sure they will. They will watch a highlights video and think what a  player we have, and on a free as well an absolute bargain.

6 months later they will be asking how long did he sign for as our £1.5 million a year could be spent better elsewhere.

22 hours ago, JOCOWl said:

No I wouldn't, but there's that niggling thought that says he's the guy that could be the difference in games if he starts to deliver again, as we've witnessed it before....and not at left wing back. But yes, I understand for the last 2 years he's pinched a wage, thats why you offer people contracts on terms that say you have to deliver to earn a good living. We're assuming he's still going to remain on £35k per week, or whatever he's currently on, but no need to. Offer him something that suits us and then the ball's in his court, he can sign and have to play to earn or disappear elsewhere.

If if if

22 hours ago, Holmowl said:

Why the neg @DJMortimer?

Its dull without Footie. Liven it up by saying what you disagree with. 

Do you think I’m wrong in my figures of 18 goals in 612 minutes? Or is that not a good partnership? Or what?

It's not that long ago that we had a thread on exactly that topic that went on for several pages. All sorts of logic was suggested for why it was a fundamentally flawed idea through the concepts of outliers, small samples and similar statistical anomalies or just the evidence of your own eyes that Jordan Rhodes is a very pale shadow of what he once might have been. Anything he has achieved with Fletcher is almost certainly a consequence of the latter, not the former. It's becoming an increasingly lonely past-time defending the guy, regardless of who he lines up alongside, and I see no purpose in revisiting it. 

But if you're feeling nostalgic, I'm sure that topic won't take too long to find. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, DJMortimer said:

It's not that long ago that we had a thread on exactly that topic that went on for several pages. All sorts of logic was suggested for why it was a fundamentally flawed idea through the concepts of outliers, small samples and similar statistical anomalies or just the evidence of your own eyes that Jordan Rhodes is a very pale shadow of what he once might have been. Anything he has achieved with Fletcher is almost certainly a consequence of the latter, not the former. It's becoming an increasingly lonely past-time defending the guy, regardless of who he lines up alongside, and I see no purpose in revisiting it. 

But if you're feeling nostalgic, I'm sure that topic won't take too long to find. 

I started it

• Haha 1

On 14/03/2020 at 17:00, @owlstalk said:

Has he really shown the consistency, goals and even attitude worthy of yet another contract here?

His reputation amongst the fanbase as a hero doesn’t align with his actual stats in my opinion (and I’m not a football writer)

It doesn’t matter what you write. What do you look like?