Would you rather a points deduction this season, or next?

For me it depends how many points the deduction is for. 21 points and we are down this season. 21 Points next season and we will go down next season imo. If it’s 9 points at least that gives us a chance of staying up if the players actually put some effort in. I hate DC for putting us in this position. I just want him out of our club ASAP. 

• Thanks 1

Neither, we haven't lost arbitration yet. If it was clear cut, would have been concluded by now if EFL able to prove their case. 

If, it does proceed to a hearing, 21 points includes additional punishment for aggravating factors. Can it be held against us that we defended ourselves, wouldn't think so and the scale of losses only due to EFL changing the goalposts retrospectively.

Indeed, I would suspect that the fact EFL agreed to the sale and ratified the accounts would be seen as mitigating factors, to reduce or suspend part of any punishment.

7 hours ago, sage owl said:

Worst of all go down this season without a points deduction  and start next season on -21 in league 1 !.

Yes, definitely - that’s the worst case scenario - that would see us doing a Bolton and plummeting towards League 2

1 hour ago, Hamakua Pueo said:

A very practical version of this question is: if the club lose the first round in March-the arbitration of the unlawfulness claim-should it acknowledge the charge and accept the penalty now rather than fight further. The answer may be yes.

But let’s hope the club wins the first—and therefore last-round.

Our best hope is if we win. 

If not knowing Dc he'll definitely contest it and drag it on further causing yet more damage especially if we're found guilty for a second time. 

8 hours ago, bobness said:

All theoretical of course.

If a 21-points deduction was a certainty, would you rather we take the hit now and faces likely relegation this season, or begin next season on -21 points,  prolonging the inevitable drop to League 1, but with the slim chance we can fight our way out of it?

If we do get 1 it needs to be this season

With all the talk of EFL wanting 21 point deduction, which under any reasonable circumstances guarantees relegation for clubs, curious how this fits with the rebranded P&S guidelines.

We know there was nothing fair about FFP, given parachute payments, so that was testicles, therefore assume P&S aims to ensure clubs are sustainable, avoid more Bolton, Bury situations. 

With this in mind the EFL are seeking a punishment they know full well will make the club unsustainable going forward. In our case, not for the first time as we were hours from being wound up several years ago. 

Not that I think this will necessarily proceed to a hearing in ours or Derby's cases, but laughable that the EFL are intending to be the reason for causing clubs jeopardy.

On one hand they are saying even if you can afford it, you must not overspend against our arbitrary limit,  which is in place to ensure the club doesn't get into financial trouble. But, if you do overspend, EFL will be the ones to administer punishment and guarantee financial trouble. 

EFL, flipping up football for everyone.

• Thanks 2

1 hour ago, RutlandOwl said:

This may not be a simple either-or scenario. Strong probability we will be slapped with a 12 point deduction this season with EFL pushing for the balance of points to be deducted at the start of next season.

Something that no one has suggested before or has ever happened before doesn't fit the criteria for 'strong probability' in my opinion.

It's a strong probability that we are all guessing.

3 minutes ago, Nero said:

Something that no one has suggested before or has ever happened before doesn't fit the criteria for 'strong probability' in my opinion.

It's a strong probability that we are all guessing.

This.

None of us know the outcome, the punishment etc. All I hope for is that a decision is made as soon as possible. We need to know where we stand and can’t allow this to drag over to next season and ruin another campaign. 

4 minutes ago, SwellOwl said:

This.

None of us know the outcome, the punishment etc. All I hope for is that a decision is made as soon as possible. We need to know where we stand and can’t allow this to drag over to next season and ruin another campaign. 

personally I feel if we are in league one next season it already is a ruined campaign. 

Guest LittleG
9 hours ago, sage owl said:

Worst of all go down this season without a points deduction  and start next season on -21 in league 1 !.

I said the same in another thread; you can almost guarantee that would happen and then we would end up in Div.2. Got to take the hit this season

Guest LittleG
3 hours ago, Geedee said:

The best chance to avoid relegation is to take the points deduction next season after a summer of rebuilding this mess.

Relegation this season could set us back yet another 5 years.

Sorry got to disagree. Like others have also said we could end up going down without a pts deduction and the thought of starting in league 1 with -21 points does not bear thinking about; that could set us back more than 5 years!

I do not think we will be relegated, don't see the bottom 3 winning 3 and drawing another in 9 games, assuming we dont win another point, again unlikely. 

However, if this went to a hearing and if, the punishment was severe threatening our championship status, DC would appeal. For his many faults, he is beligerant and wont give in. 

Chaos would ensue surrounding  relegation and open the door to all sorts of legal challenge from other clubs. The EFL will be desperate to avoid this. 

If it did proceed to a hearing (and I'm not sure it will) the most likely outcome, a 'compromise' punishment for both us and Derby, once relegation or promotion isn't likely for either of us which doesnt affect league status, with a significant portion suspended, due to mitigating factors of EFL agreeing to the transactions.