Would you rather a points deduction this season, or next?

The whole point of FFP was to restrict clubs from getting into too much debt and getting into trouble; how does relegating us to league 1 help our finances. 

We’ll be in more trouble. It’s crazy. 

Yet Villa will have another 3 years of parachute payments to have a good crack at promotion 

Edited by Rogers

10 hours ago, sage owl said:

Worst of all go down this season without a points deduction  and start next season on -21 in league 1 !.

Thing is this could happen. We would if my understanding is right get a -12 deduction as that is the top they can give for the offense. Then on top of that they can issue a further 9 on other issues.

So potentially we could get -12 now which unless the sack Monk and get someone in who can muster something from these players for a few games would defo get us relegated this year. Then could start next year in league 1 on -9 !!!

My personal preference would be to take the -12 now and hope that's it. Then try and stay up somehow as League One would be a disaster for this club under this regime.

3 hours ago, striker said:

With all the talk of EFL wanting 21 point deduction, which under any reasonable circumstances guarantees relegation for clubs, curious how this fits with the rebranded P&S guidelines.

We know there was nothing fair about FFP, given parachute payments, so that was testicles, therefore assume P&S aims to ensure clubs are sustainable, avoid more Bolton, Bury situations. 

With this in mind the EFL are seeking a punishment they know full well will make the club unsustainable going forward. In our case, not for the first time as we were hours from being wound up several years ago. 

Not that I think this will necessarily proceed to a hearing in ours or Derby's cases, but laughable that the EFL are intending to be the reason for causing clubs jeopardy.

On one hand they are saying even if you can afford it, you must not overspend against our arbitrary limit,  which is in place to ensure the club doesn't get into financial trouble. But, if you do overspend, EFL will be the ones to administer punishment and guarantee financial trouble. 

EFL, flipping up football for everyone.

That's the problem with this, we wouldn't actually be in any financial trouble if it wasn't for the EFL - and we've barely spent anything on player purchases for the last 2 seasons, you could even argue some of the players we did buy were due to a ridiculous injury situation - so we've complied with EFL and then tried to resolve the situation further with the ground sale, which other clubs have done too. 

I always thought FFP was changed to P&S because it is isn't FFP when clubs get parachute payments, but P&S is ridiculous because heaping fines and point deductions on clubs helps no one, especially the fans, compared to punishing owners that have for example allegedly messed up the timing (not to mention the fact most fans were extremely dubious of selling the stadium in the first place).

Can we take 9 points now and 9 points next season - seeing as they've left it so late? (i.e. another 9 pts next season in the event we stay up, relegation should be enough punishment to warrant not starting on any more negative points)

That is, if the EFL have plans to impose a penalty of more than 9 pts.

Anything more than 9 pts this season and EFL have basically relegated us without a chance to fight our way out of it.

Doubt they care about our future though and will just slap whatever penalty they want on us.

2 hours ago, Rogers said:

The whole point of FFP was to restrict clubs from getting into too much debt and getting into trouble; how does relegating us to league 1 help our finances. 

We’ll be in more trouble. It’s crazy. 

Yet Villa will have another 3 years of parachute payments to have a good crack at promotion 

The system is bent, parachute payments are a joke and are there to give an unfair advantage to any relegated team and FFP just compounds the problem and doesn't actually solve anything, if anything it has made the situation worse.

Parachute payments and FFP both need scrapping ASAP for the good of the game.

What a situation DC has put us in. 

Hes either a very clever business man and taken advantage if a loophole or been very naive in way he’s done things and dropped us right in the ****

but what a ridiculous situation it is. 

DC might be banned from his own stadium for spending his own money for trying to exploit a stupid rule to allow him to spend more of his own money. 

Really is that daft. 

20 hours ago, jomaco said:

we've barely spent anything on player purchases for the last 2 seasons, you could even argue some of the players we did buy were due to a ridiculous injury situation - so we've complied with EFL and then tried to resolve the situation further with the ground sale, which other clubs have done too. 

What you're saying is that we broke the rules, but didn't do it in a way which would be advantageous to the club. 

Selling the ground to yourself is a loophole, not an official way of staying within the established rules. Yes, other clubs have done it, but they also did it properly. 

In summary, our ownership is incompetent. Is that also the EFL's fault? 

4 minutes ago, bobness said:

What you're saying is that we broke the rules, but didn't do it in a way which would be advantageous to the club. 

Selling the ground to yourself is a loophole, not an official way of staying within the established rules. Yes, other clubs have done it, but they also did it properly. 

In summary, our ownership is incompetent. Is that also the EFL's fault? 

Properly. Not defending DC, because I think it's a fool's throw in selling your own ground, but I can't defend anyone doing it "properly".  Sounds like circumvention, no matter what arbitrary timeline it was submitted in..

Very difficult decision as both probably lead to league 1 either this season or next. Unfortunately I don't see a way of survival! 

Also I think the EFL will wait as long as possible with the points deduction if it happens this season! They'll want to know that what ever deduction they decide will definitely relegate us! They are after us big time! 

The ultimate worry is we go down by our own accord this season and then get a deduction next season in league one and risk dropping to league 2!