Article on The Athletic

2 minutes ago, dumboldowl said:

Please excuse my ignorance, but what or where is this "Athletic", and what credence does it carry?

The Athletic is a subscription-based sports journalism website and app. They provide ad-free national and local coverage across the United States, Canada, and the United Kingdom. Their coverage includes: association football and basketball... baseball, American football, and ice hockey. Wikipedia

3 minutes ago, dumboldowl said:

Please excuse my ignorance, but what or where is this "Athletic", and what credence does it carry?

https://theathletic.co.uk

Launched in the UK last year as an ad-free, subscription-based online sports news/magazine outlet. They pretty much poached all the best sports journalists in the country before launching and generally have a really good reputation in the industry.

6 hours ago, prowl said:

Why is it cringeworthy?

Let's not rewrite history. DC came in and invested a lot of money in the club. It's the first time I can remember when we had serious investment. We had 2 shots at promotion due to DC's spending. OK it's all gone pear shaped but at the time we had reason to be grateful.

Nobody denies mistakes have been made, plenty of them.

I’m sick of seeing this. 

why the hell should we be grateful for someone wilfully ignoring the rules and getting us multiple seasons of embargo’s and possible further sanctions and points deductions. 

spending loads of money he didn’t have to and wasn’t even allowed to isn’t big & isn’t clever.

it’s downright stupid.  

9 minutes ago, kingsidney said:

I’m sick of seeing this. 

why the hell should we be grateful for someone wilfully ignoring the rules and getting us multiple seasons of embargo’s and possible further sanctions and points deductions. 

spending loads of money he didn’t have to and wasn’t even allowed to isn’t big & isn’t clever.

it’s downright stupid.  

The point I'm making that the poster thanking DC was reasonable at the time. I wouldn't have put the sign up personally, I'm not the type to do gushing thanks, more understated and reserved but I can understand why someone might.

Should we ignore what has happened in the last 3 years, of course not, I never suggested we should.

2 hours ago, rickygoo said:

If you're point isn't that the journalist should have revealed his sources  - something that if those sources want to stay quiet he shouldn't do - then maybe you aren't making a point that is entirely valid. 

You really need to get out more, the person who wrote this has never been a journalist.

20 hours ago, Sergeant Tibbs said:

The fat lady is just clearing her throat.

DC’s so called “team” are a token gesture, purely employed to placate the uneducated,

Probably as equally expensive and ineffective as the one on the pitch.

the uneducated? lol Hes got the best in the business on the job. His "so called team" are putting enough of a fight up that they havent been able to charge us yet

18 minutes ago, toppOwl said:

You really need to get out more, the person who wrote this has never been a journalist.

Oh, look at you attacking the poster rather than debating the subject again... 🤷‍♂️

Anyway... Nancy Frostick's working history of being a journalist for the Mirror Group, JPIMedia, The i Paper, FourFourTwo magazine, the BBC and more - plus her MA in Digital and Newspaper Journalism and NCTJ qualifications -  would argue otherwise.

At least do a little research before namecalling or discrediting someone off-hand.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, toppOwl said:

Why would getting out more help me assess someone’s ability as a journalist? 

The piece was co-written by Matt Slater - 

“Based in North West England, Matt Slater is a staff writer for The Athletic UK. Prior to that, he spent 16 years with the BBC and then three years as chief sports reporter for the main news agency in the UK and Ireland, PA.”

It seems contrary to what you say then he has been a journalist. What is your qualification for assessing journalists? When did you sit the NCTJ exams? 

10 minutes ago, rickygoo said:

Why would getting out more help me assess someone’s ability as a journalist? 

The piece was co-written by Matt Slater - 

“Based in North West England, Matt Slater is a staff writer for The Athletic UK. Prior to that, he spent 16 years with the BBC and then three years as chief sports reporter for the main news agency in the UK and Ireland, PA.”

It seems contrary to what you say then he has been a journalist. What is your qualification for assessing journalists? When did you sit the NCTJ exams? 

All that experience to write regurgitated, speculative garbage, I’m in the wrong job.

8 hours ago, rickygoo said:

The point is not revealing sources because unless they are happy to be revealed it's something you don't do.

Shhh!

I understand that Ricky. It's how it's done. But it's a shady aspect of journalism. It's a get out of jail free card. If someone cites the generic 'Sources inform us...', then no-one can possibly challenge it. If the information turns out to be wrong, there's no comeback. It's risk-free. That's the wider point I was making. 

1 hour ago, Samurai Blue said:

I understand that Ricky. It's how it's done. But it's a shady aspect of journalism. It's a get out of jail free card. If someone cites the generic 'Sources inform us...', then no-one can possibly challenge it. If the information turns out to be wrong, there's no comeback. It's risk-free. That's the wider point I was making. 

And what’s the alternative? To out people? You’ll do it once and then you’re done. 

Just now, rickygoo said:

And what’s the alternative? To out people? You’ll do it once and then you’re done. 

I agreed with you. You focussed on two words from my post at the expense of the wider point. This tangential style of arguing leads exponentially down a whole myriad of strawman paths which can go on ad infinitum. Our respective points are not mutually exclusive. There's no argument to be had here.

6 minutes ago, Samurai Blue said:

I agreed with you. You focussed on two words from my post at the expense of the wider point. This tangential style of arguing leads exponentially down a whole myriad of strawman paths which can go on ad infinitum. Our respective points are not mutually exclusive. There's no argument to be had here.

Parklife