Article on The Athletic

3 minutes ago, steelowl said:

tbf I believe you are missing the point that this article could be written after reading OT  it is just a collation of known facts 

The Athletic is regarded as one of the most authoritative outlets currently aren't they? They stand strong by their paywalled content and poached most of the best sports journalists in the country before launching.

11 hours ago, S36 OWL said:

Cringeworthy 

Why is it cringeworthy?

Let's not rewrite history. DC came in and invested a lot of money in the club. It's the first time I can remember when we had serious investment. We had 2 shots at promotion due to DC's spending. OK it's all gone pear shaped but at the time we had reason to be grateful.

Nobody denies mistakes have been made, plenty of them.

Just now, DeeJayOne said:

The Athletic is regarded as one of the most authoritative outlets currently aren't they? They stand strong by their paywalled content and poached most of the best sports journalists in the country before launching.

There must be some very low standards in journalism if thats the case.

:ghoulguy:

Just now, prowl said:

Why is it cringeworthy?

Let's not rewrite history. DC came in and invested a lot of money in the club. It's the first time I can remember when we had serious investment. We had 2 shots at promotion due to DC's spending. OK it's all gone pear shaped but at the time we had reason to be grateful.

Nobody denies mistakes have been made, plenty of them.

If we get a points deduction and the chairman gets banned from football that could well be the understatement of all time

lol

Owlstalk Shop

I saw an article about us on there so decided to take on a trial subscription  to see the entire article which turned out to be almost a rip off of OT / HITC posts put together as an original article  - In my explanation for cancelling I told them so too  -  so no James in my albeit limit subscription I don't agree  

16 hours ago, Lucas Joao's Tooth said:

Take the punishment now and risk being relegated 

OR

Drag it into a new season with the possibility of starting with -21 points.

Take the punishment now and there is no risk of being relegated, it will be a certainty.

Should have taken the hit last season when even 12 points would not have affected our status.

Worse case scenario we start -21 next season, then the season is  dead before it's started. It's not impossible we will be starting with that type of deduction in L1 either, given the shocking results since Christmas. Absolute shambolic management!

Just now, steelowl said:

I saw an article about us on there so decided to take on a trial subscription  to see the entire article which turned out to be almost a rip off of OT / HITC posts put together as an original article  - In my explanation for cancelling I told them so too  -  so no James in my albeit limit subscription I don't agree  

You shouldn't judge the whole of the BBC just because you once caught one episode of homes under the hammer

lol

Owlstalk Shop

7 minutes ago, steelowl said:

To be fair I've never subscribed and only seen limited content that's been pasted elsewhere - but in the industry it is definitely regarded as one of the most authoritative outlets with some of the best sports journalists in the country now working there.

Maybe the Wednesday correspondent isn't one of those journos though, who knows?

56 minutes ago, toppOwl said:

Whats the point of debating an article that a 5 year old could have written, the author has no inside knowledge, no quotes, no facts nothing. Waste of ink.

It's only a waste of ink if you print it out in which case it's you that's the wasteful fool. 

lol

The article is for The Athletic's wider readership not OT experts who follow the club's every move so it has to have some information in there to help fill in non-Wednesday fans.

Beyond that ....

Have you spoken to several Championship clubs or senior EFL figures?  Did you know the EFL is "desperate" to resolve it this season?  Did you know the EFL is pressing on with a revised timetable and that they were frustrated by our stalling tactics?

Several Championship clubs have told The Athletic they believe Wednesday should receive the full 21-point deduction available to the EFL under its “profitability and sustainability” (P&S) regulations, and it is understood that some senior EFL figures are minded to agree.

It is understood the EFL’s new leadership is desperate to resolve the case well before the end of this season so any punishment is applied in this campaign and not held over until 2020-21. The rationale is that a points deduction in August is not as punitive as one in March or, to put it another way, justice delayed is justice denied.

But the actual P&S case, which will be heard by an independent panel, has not even started yet as the club’s lawyers — led by Nick De Marco QC, the barrister who fought the EFL for four years over Queens Park Rangers’ breach of the league’s spending rules in 2014 — have vigorously contested the basis of the charge, forcing the EFL to defend its stance in two arbitration hearings.

Sources have told The Athletic the EFL is “frustrated” by Wednesday’s stalling tactics but is pressing on with a “revised timetable” that could still see the matter concluded before the last round of Championship fixtures on Saturday, May 2.

To be fair I've never subscribed and only seen limited content that's been pasted elsewhere - but in the industry it is definitely regarded as one of the most authoritative outlets with some of the best sports journalists in the country now working there.

Maybe the Wednesday correspondent isn't one of those journals though, who knows?

Have you got a stake in it or something, its awful. Its like they have an office full of people scouring Twitter for info and turning it into articles (with headlines that make you click the link of course).

Just now, toppOwl said:

Have you got a stake in it or something, its awful. Its like they have an office full of people scouring Twitter for info and turning it into articles (with headlines that make you click the link of course).

Funny that

Because that's what people say about The Star, The Yorkshire Post, The Sun, Radio Sheffield, or basically any/EVERY other outlet

Owlstalk Shop

3 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

If we get a points deduction and the chairman gets banned from football that could well be the understatement of all time

lol

Absolutely. The point is that at the time we didn't have a crystal ball. I can see why fans were gratefull at the time.

1 minute ago, toppOwl said:

Again, attacking the poster rather than debating the post.  You're showing a pattern of behaviour.

Just now, @owlstalk said:

Funny that

Because that's what people say about The Star, The Yorkshire Post, The Sun, Radio Sheffield, or basically any/EVERY other outlet

Newspapers etc provide info for a wide readership - not people who follow every tiny movement in the story of a middle ranking Division Two football team.