Article on The Athletic

1 minute ago, WalthamOwl said:

All DC is doing is trying everything he can to stall the inevitable. Knowing how he has behaved since he has been our owner do you really think he will be cleared of all this. 

No chance.

Whether this season or next, a hefty points deduction is on its way.

7 minutes ago, WalthamOwl said:

If and when it does happen he needs to sell up and get out of our club ASAP. 

Agreed, he will be totally responsible for our relegation and will have taken us backwards after buying us.

Relegation due to a points deduction will be unforgivable.

1 hour ago, DeeJayOne said:

It is why comments like 'Pope's Dead' and "We already know this" really frustrates me... there are ALWAYS some readers who didn't know and you're just egotistically showing off that YOU know. If you know, then just move on and read something you don't know. You don't have to point out that you know and act superior to those who might not have seen those details about that topic yet.

Even more so when the original thread has a click-bait title. 

Case in point, a thread titled "is this legitimate?" vs. the reposted, and more appropriately titled, "Meeting with DC tonight". 

Are users expected to open every thread or even find threads, when the subject line doesn't say anything?

I still laughed the "pope is dead" comment though :ph34r:

4 minutes ago, bobness said:

Even more so when the original thread has a click-bait title. 

Case in point, a thread titled "is this legitimate?" vs. the reposted, and more appropriately titled, "Meeting with DC tonight". 

Are users expected to open every thread or even find threads, when the subject line doesn't say anything?

I still laughed the "pope is dead" comment though :ph34r:

It's not click bait titling - it's either lazy posting, or rushed posting usually

Owlstalk Shop

Just now, @owlstalk said:

It's not click bait titling - it's either lazy posting, or rushed posting usually

It's a click bait title, even if unintentional. Many threads on here have that pattern. 

I don't think it's malicious. 

Just now, bobness said:

It's a click bait title, even if unintentional. Many threads on here have that pattern. 

I don't think it's malicious. 

Click bait titles are titles deliberately worded to make you click on them

I don't think that the one you mentioned as an example is click bait at all

Owlstalk Shop

3 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

Click bait titles are titles deliberately worded to make you click on them

I don't think that the one you mentioned as an example is click bait at all

You're right, it's not deceptive. I was thinking more along the lines of the user having no clue what the thread is on about, and is therefore forced to click if they want to find out. 

Apologies if I miscategorised it. 

Edited by bobness

1 minute ago, bobness said:

You're right, it's not deceptive. I was thinking more along the lines of the user having no clue what the thread is on about, and is therefore forced to click if they want to find out. 

Apologies if I miscategorised it. 

No worries and I understood what you meant

Was just clarifying for readers

Owlstalk Shop

59 minutes ago, HarrowbyOwl said:

Don't like the sound of "the EFL iis pressing on with a “revised timetable” that could still see the matter concluded before the last round of Championship fixtures on Saturday, May 2."

Kangaroo.png

You forgot this for the figure in the dock.

Image result for dunces cap

• Haha 1

Guest Ash76
2 hours ago, TrickyTrev said:

Agreed, he will be totally responsible for our relegation and will have taken us backwards after buying us.

Relegation due to a points deduction will be unforgivable.

You were right behind him earlier in the season

What's changed aside from our form?

Guest mkowl
4 hours ago, billyblack said:

Ok. Can you agree to 'sell' to an entity that doesnt exist yet? I dont believe the entity that 'bought' the ground didnt exist the year it was reported in? Or is that wrong? 

Yes and no

So no in a logical sense that if the 3rd party does not exist how can you sell it something.

However you can agree to sell an asset to a 3rd party and that be determined or changed at the date of completion. 

It is legally called novating an agreement, so the new party agrees to take on the contract negotiated by the old party. 

From an accounting viewpoint we are looking from the SWFC context only,  if it can be shown there was a binding contract for sale at 31st July 2018 it would / could / should be included in the figures.

Ok it is unusual for sure when it comes to an asset sale, but for services to clients I am expected to add in an amount for work done at my year end that the clients would be contractually due to pay me, even if some of it even 2 months plus later I have yet to actually invoice them. 

Accounting concepts are a bit esoteric

26 minutes ago, Ash76 said:

People are allowed to change their minds, I’ve changed mine.

We are now on the brink of a points deduction that will see us relegated to the third division. That would mean relegation due to the financial mess the club is in, that for me is unforgivable.

4 hours ago, Samurai Blue said:

Irrespective of all the personal sniping that's going on that I have no interest in getting involved in, ToppOwl is making a valid point about the English being used.

"Several Championship clubs have told...", "It is understood...", "Sources have told..." are prime examples of a passive voice structure that absolves anyone of any ownership about the information given. I'm not debating whether what they're writing about is true or not, but it's a common technique in journalism that swerves important details. i.e. Which Championship clubs? Understood by whom? What sources?

It is understood to have happened in this conversation between Vic Buckingham and Garry Monk:

Ibkr2ch.jpg "It's been said that you need help."

image.png.eb0a36252503d1e12d562e40e5c0a775.png "Who said that?"

Ibkr2ch.jpg "Sources."

image.png.eb0a36252503d1e12d562e40e5c0a775.png "Whatever. How can I turn this around, Vic?"

Ibkr2ch.jpg "Things need to be done."

image.png.eb0a36252503d1e12d562e40e5c0a775.png "You're trolling me. I'm off home."

Ibkr2ch.jpg "A bus needs to be taken."

At last someone understands the point I was making all along.

Thank you.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Ash76 said:

It takes time but maybe more and more people are realising that chucking money at it isn't enough on its own and doesn't make an owner immune from criticism for running the club in a way that some think is incompetent. 

2 minutes ago, toppOwl said:

At last someone understands the point I was making all along.

Thank you.

If you're point isn't that the journalist should have revealed his sources  - something that if those sources want to stay quiet he shouldn't do - then maybe you aren't making a point that is entirely valid. 

Guest Ash76
26 minutes ago, TrickyTrev said:

People are allowed to change their minds, I’ve changed mine.

We are now on the brink of a points deduction that will see us relegated to the third division. That would mean relegation due to the financial mess the club is in, that for me is unforgivable.

Of course it’s your right to change your mind but what I’m interested in is what lead to that?