Why does it always go wrong for Monk?

This is a difficult question to answer as it always seems to fall apart for Monk after a promising start:

Swansea

Monk started well but a run of 1 win in 11 games saw this Swansea stalwart fired as the team fell to fifteenth place in the table just outside the relegation places.

Leeds United

Monk's teams were a fixture in the Play Off positions until it all fell apart in the last half dozen games.  Leeds finished 7th and outside the Play Off places with Monk resigning to go to Boro.

Those who went to Ipswich following SWFC will recall the constant rendering of the "Leeds, Leeds are falling apart again" anthem.

Middlesborough

Monk was allowed to spend huge sums in ther summer in a bid to secure promotion.  Monk though fell out with players and Chairman and was fired after 5 months.

Birmingham

Monk produced some decent results particularly given the points deduction imposed on the club but the Chairman fired him at the end of the season.  The reason for his dismissal remains unclear.

Sheffield Wednesday

Monk made a decent start and got some good results initially although performances were poor in general.  Post Xmas results nosedived, the performances became shambolic and the team is in complete free fall.

What I do not understand is why does this always seem to happen with Monk?

Most alarming is the fact that as a manager he has never been able to turn a slump in form round.

It goes wrong for nearly every manager. Wenger and Ferguson are 2 exceptions. Most of the rest last 2 to 3 years before they get fired even if they are good. The average job tenure is about a year.

I don't think Monk has really had much of a chance at Hillsborough yet. I know a body of fans want rid of him. I can understand that but getting a new manager in won't solve the obviously deep seated problems at the club. The next manager might be worse.

If we can attract a top manager then fair enough, get rid of Monk but I suspect he's better than the current alternatuves.

The problem for Monk is that in the short term he has painted himself in a corner and can't play his best team....we might get relegated.

In the long term he isn't somebody who I would want to be in charge of rebuilding, or at least there has to be a lot of doubts about his ability to do that.  

I'd rather have a caretaker now and try to avoid relegation and then put in a proper manager with his own staff and authority to bring players in, much like we had with Bruce.

2 minutes ago, Wednesday Fan said:

Me and some fellow Owls are at the Cheltenham festival today and it’s lovely to be in a big crowd of people who are actually having a good time and even laughing!! Nobody’s mentioned Monk, Chansiri, Hutch or Westwood.........yet. Soon be Saturday though!!!!

UP THE OWLS !!!

Apart from you on here mentioning it.

lol

• Haha 1

I agree 100% with Tyto Alba:

The problem for Monk is that in the short term he has painted himself in a corner and can't play his best team....we might get relegated.

In the long term he isn't somebody who I would want to be in charge of rebuilding, or at least there has to be a lot of doubts about his ability to do that.  

I'd rather have a caretaker now and try to avoid relegation and then put in a proper manager with his own staff and authority to bring players in, much like we had with Bruce

It is also interesting that Wednesday Fan mentioned that he has forgotten what it is like to have a good time at Hillsborough.

Monk 's football has been dreadful imo even when he was picking up some results.

Now he is not even getting any results.

29 minutes ago, prowl said:

It goes wrong for nearly every manager. Wenger and Ferguson are 2 exceptions. Most of the rest last 2 to 3 years before they get fired even if they are good. The average job tenure is about a year.

I don't think Monk has really had much of a chance at Hillsborough yet. I know a body of fans want rid of him. I can understand that but getting a new manager in won't solve the obviously deep seated problems at the club. The next manager might be worse.

If we can attract a top manager then fair enough, get rid of Monk but I suspect he's better than the current alternatuves.

can't foooking wait for wilders luck to kick in then pal !

• Haha 1

I honestly think this will be his last gig at Championship level, maybe even League 1. His record suggests that he really should take stock and consider throwing the towel and doing something else.  

So tired of the excuses, he's just another poor SWFC appointment. I mean apart from Laws and Carlos (who had very short ill-fated tenues at Burnley and Swansea in the EPL) how many of our ex managers who fans defended to the hilt have gone on to bigger & better things? Where's Laws, Turner, Jones, Irvine etc now? Nowhere because they were rubbish.

And please save me from the "It's the players fault" or "He's not had enough time" “His hands are tied” rubbish. The exact same nonsense was trotted out to defend Jewell before Shreeves took over and galvanised the team with pretty much the same players. As did Gray when he took over from Jones.

"The players are stale"

6 players who started against Brentford are from the post Carlos era, three of which arrived in the Summer or January... so nope not having that either. Sure certain players do need moving on, but you do that at the end of the season. You do not exile senior players mid-deason without adequate replacements. Jos learnt this the hard way.

It's the manager’s job to get and make the most of the players at his disposal. Monk clearly isn't doing this, and as highlighted in the OP there's nothing in his history to suggest he's capable of turning the corner when the inevitable dip happens. Nor does it suggest him being a capable hand in rebuilding a team from scratch.

Monk is just an awful manger, who's appointment was another symptom of inept Chairmanship.

We needed a manager like Big Mick who is used to working with restricted budgets with a knack of unearthing gems from the lower leagues. Or a Stuart Gray who can identify players capable of adapting to positions where the team is short, whilst drilling defences to not give a bean away.

DC fired one of those and allowed the other to get away, because of his own delusions of grandeur. 

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Owls Loyal said:

Why then did the same falling apart happen at Swansea, Leeds and to some extent at Boro?

DC and his advisor were hardly omnipresent.

swansea in PL were always going to nosedive

LEEDS had a mad man as owner (spot the similarities) 

I remember reading the reason he left at Birmingham was because the owner agreed a swap deal for Jota to go to Villa and Gary Gardner to sign for Birmingham and Monk wasn’t happy at all. On the face of it that does seem a terrible swap. 

He was also fired at Middlesbrough while they sat in 5th. Very harsh. 

21 hours ago, 0114 said:

I remember reading the reason he left at Birmingham was because the owner agreed a swap deal for Jota to go to Villa and Gary Gardner to sign for Birmingham and Monk wasn’t happy at all. On the face of it that does seem a terrible swap. 

He was also fired at Middlesbrough while they sat in 5th. Very harsh. 

there is more to it from Middlesborough and leeds if you care to look into it , and Swansea according to a link I read elsewhere was down to bad man management