Coronavirus could cripple EFL clubs

10 minutes ago, i used to be sc_owl said:

The times I have been to Italy made it clear to me their approach to hygiene was.... relaxed. 

I blame the pope, he kisses owt that moves. 

• Haha 3

It won't affect us. Season tickets are paid for whether people turn up or not and we're not getting any POTG supporters at those prices. Judging by the amount of complaints regarding In house catering, nobody uses it, right?

We might miss out on a few 3 quid program sales.

48 minutes ago, ChinaOwl said:

The thing about coronavirus is there is one clear "party" complicit in triggering the incident and, yet again, as has been the case on every other occasion in the last seventy years, they are going to come out of it completely blameless.

I think I get what you mean by “party”

52 minutes ago, ChinaOwl said:

The thing about coronavirus is there is one clear "party" complicit in triggering the incident and, yet again, as has been the case on every other occasion in the last seventy years, they are going to come out of it completely blameless.

Scousers?

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Mr Farrell said:

If the club had listened to me and banned over 45's to improve the atmosphere, we would be ahead of the game now and it wouldn't be an issue.

Banning over 45s there wouldnt be anyone left . We have an ageing support, chansiri has done his best to deter younger fans. 

8 hours ago, RUMBELOWS91 said:

With the Premier Lesgue meeting on Mondsy to discuss a possible ban on supporters inside grounds, surely its inevitable that the EFL will be forced to follow their lead.

Even if this is not immediately the case, walk up crowds will drop through the floor very quickly as the inevitable panic of an EPL ban kicks in.

This time of year will be about the worst time for this to happen in terms of cashflow for many smaller EFL clubs. The previous year's season ticket revenue will.be dwindling and crowds will be beginning to drop off for teams not in the mix for promotion.

Many EFL clubs are already hand to mouth at this time of year. An unplanned disappearance of gate receipts could push many to the brink of insolvency very quickly.

The EPL will barely feel the pinch. TV revenues will more than compensate for the lack of gate income. In fact it could well be an increase in TV revenue is negotiated as games are televised behind closed doors. This could also be the case for the EFL too to some extent, but Macclesfield v Forest Green isnt going to generate the additional advertisers for the TV companies that Arsenal V Chelsea will. Recompense for lower EFL clubs is likely to be dismal.

With all this in mind, it may follow that the only way for the smaller clubs to survive this gathering storm is to look for support from the EPL. Are they likely to oblige?

For.larger EFL clubs such as ourselves, will we be allowed to look towards benefactors such as our wealthy Chairman to bridge the financial gap, and if so how will this effect P&S?

The coming months could well test how deep the pockets are of some EFL Chairman.

That's what's causing the virus to spread. :rolleyes:

Guest LondonOwl313

The only way to stop this is complete lockdown until it dies out. That’s what China has done but unless it’s eradicated then it just comes back when people go back to their normal lives.

I’m a bit annoyed we didn’t close the borders in January as by about the third week in Jan it was very obvious it would take about 2 months to get to where China was. We should have stopped all inbound flights and quarantined any british nationals repatriated from overseas. There’s more important things than GDP growth.. who cares about that when lives are on the line

The government have basically waited until it’s a problem and then said that closing borders would be ineffective. That’s obviously going to be the case once the virus is already here but much more could have been done to stop it coming in

6 minutes ago, LondonOwl313 said:

The only way to stop this is complete lockdown until it dies out. That’s what China has done but unless it’s eradicated then it just comes back when people go back to their normal lives.

I’m a bit annoyed we didn’t close the borders in January as by about the third week in Jan it was very obvious it would take about 2 months to get to where China was. We should have stopped all inbound flights and quarantined any british nationals repatriated from overseas. There’s more important things than GDP growth.. who cares about that when lives are on the line

The government have basically waited until it’s a problem and then said that closing borders would be ineffective. That’s obviously going to be the case once the virus is already here but much more could have been done to stop it coming in

Aye, not reyt clever to tell everyone that you plan to close the city down in three days' time and to get out now if you're going. Or have border guards that allow people to pass providing they have some goodies to give them. 

:duntmatter:

5 minutes ago, A12owl said:

Thanks publishing that article. It probably gives more realistic facts and puts a sensible view on it. Too much media fear has created panic buying which benefits nobody. 

Retail chains don't mind it.