FA CUP Arsenal Four Replays

17 hours ago, Nero said:

We outnumbered the Arsenal fans massively :ph34r:... at all of the Leicester games. Think we took over 15000 down to one of em.

I'd say closer to 20,000 for last game at Leicester, with loads not getting it, turnstile we went through closed just after we had gone through. 

3   Sat  6 Jan  ARSENAL................. 1-1     33,635   Jeff Johnson
 3R  Tue  9 Jan  Arsenal................. 1-1     37,987   Rodger Wylde
                                          aet              
 3R2 Mon 15 Jan  Arsenal................. 2-2     25,011   Brian Hornsby 2
                 at Filbert Street        aet              
 3R3 Wed 17 Jan  Arsenal................. 3-3     17,008   Brian Hornsby, John Lowey
                 at Filbert Street        aet              David Rushbury
 3R4 Mon 22 Jan  Arsenal................. 0-2     30,275   
                 at Filbert Street                         

1 hour ago, bradowl said:

I'd say closer to 20,000 for last game at Leicester, with loads not getting it, turnstile we went through closed just after we had gone through. 

aet              
 3R3 Wed 17 Jan  Arsenal................. 3-3     17,008   Brian Hornsby, John Lowey
                 at Filbert Street                         

Filbert Street at the time had standing terraces all down one side of the ground (The "Popular terrace") in front of the main stand, behind one goal laughingly called the Kop and divided intro 4 "pens" and then at the opposite end of the ground a small corner quadrant, which would hold around 2.5k when absolutely rammed....

For the final game Wednesday filled the 4 pens and the side terrace while Arsenal filled the corner quadrant. I cant remember how the seats were divided, but we massively outnumbered them every game.

Always remember walking down a side street and an old box type transit parked up. The driver jumped out and opened the back and about a dozen Owls fell out lol

18 hours ago, Albertowl said:

Went to all 5. Lived in Leicester at the time and had to give away my Ellis Costello ticket which clashed with one of the games and never did get to see him live. 

Remember the non-stop “We’re proud of you” from the Owls fans at the end of the final game. Tears rolling down my face then and tbh not far off now just thinking about it.

Oh and also remember “Sunderland’s a w#nker....” repeat 

Ellis Costello. 

Tribute Band? 

• Haha 2

7 hours ago, bradowl said:

aet              
                 at Filbert Street                         

You're probably right. I went to all 5. Arsenal away was a bit tasty as I remember. I missed u16 cricket nets 3 times on the spin and got dropped from the squad forever.

17 minutes ago, WBridgfordowl said:

Jeff Johnson was awesome, oh for a player with his heart right now

and

LiamfuckingBrady hanging on the crossbar in front of us at Filbert Street. Hated him then and my hatred for him has not waned one iota with the passing of time. Never hated a player so much!! 

He was bloody good though,he would love it nowadays with attackers having so much protection.

This may well seem strange to some, but at the time I was living in Islington, working around Whitehall, I watched the first game at home which we drew, took my girlfriend at the time (now wife) to Highbury for the replay but could only get on the North Bank. Leamen  scored I jumped up but disallowed and it all of a sudden got very warm aswe was getting taped on the backs or our legs, it was flaming freezing had to leave early as it became a bit hostile  missed 1st replay at Leicester as I was on nights, the next game I joined Arsenals supporters club and travel club just to get to the game and at all the way back next to a whinging gooner me with a big smile on my face. The next game we lost, but travelled up to Sheffield then back down to Leicester (same day) for to me was a great set of games.

Edited by BANJO59

22 minutes ago, BANJO59 said:

This may well seem strange to some, but at the time I was living in Islington, working around Whitehall, I watched the first game at home which we drew, took my girlfriend at the time (now wife) to Highbury for the replay but could only get on the North Bank. Leamen  scored I jumped up but disallowed and it all of a sudden got very warm aswe was getting taped on the backs or our legs, it was flaming freezing had to leave early as it became a bit hostile  missed 1st replay at Leicester as I was on nights, the next game I joined Arsenals supporters club and travel club just to get to the game and at all the way back next to a whinging gooner me with a big smile on my face. The next game we lost, but travelled up to Sheffield then back down to Leicester (same day) for to me was a great set of games.

That seems very strange

Went to all five games, fond memories.  How we didn't win at Highbury was a wee pipe Turpin travesty!!  The atmosphere at the Leicester games were amazing!    I suppose you could say that match was the start of the accession under big jack.

On 04/02/2020 at 14:56, OxonOwl said:

I was at uni in London at the time.

Home for Christmas for Hillsborough.

Back in the smoke for Highbury.

Hitchhiked to Leicester for the last three.

Arrived late and didn't get in to the last one.

Got lifts back with Arsenal fans for two of them.

We arrived late for the last one, the only section left open was the corner usually used for away fans, went in and it was full of Gooners, it was the only section they had that night, totally outnumbered them. 

The first 2 games at Leicester were my first 2 'away' games.

Apart from the general excitement of the occasions and the pride in performances, etc I have 2 abiding memories.

We were late for the first game and knew we'd missed the kick off. A small roar went signalling a goal and, not knowing the MASSIVE support we had, I assumed that little old Wednesday had scored as surely if Arsenal scored then the roar would have been much louder. As we took our seats, Hornsby scored and I knew it was an equaliser as the noise was deafening when most of the ground erupted.

Secondly, at half time of extra time (not sure it was the first or second game), results of other cup ties were announced over the tannoy. 'Aldershot 1 Sheffield United 0'. We were already in buoyant mood trying to push the lads on to try and get a winner and that raised the noise levels even higher. 

Whilst we ended up losing, those matches were the catalyst for better things, both as a result of the money we made (allowing us to buy Curran and Andy Mac) but some belief and pride was restored. We all know what happened later that year #BDM

Happy days