Scary Summer Ahead

4 minutes ago, Junk Smuggler said:

Great optimism. Just hope it comes off. What makes you think DC will back the manager to get proper players in? He may have his hands tied.

DC has shown numerous times he is willing to back managers.

This will be the first time we’re a little free from FFP shackles in 2 years.

We can’t affect any possible deduction so I’m not concerned with that

1 minute ago, McRightSide said:

DC has shown numerous times he is willing to back managers.

This will be the first time we’re a little free from FFP shackles in 2 years.

We can’t affect any possible deduction so I’m not concerned with that

How will we be free ? The next accounts will be worse than the last ones.

It’s not inconceivable that we could be relegated after a points deduction, either this season, or more likely next. It’s not just the points deduction, that squad of players who will still be under contract, looks more like a League One squad. It’s likely that we will only be able to strengthen with frees and loans. Of course it’s possible to do it that way, but that won’t be easy, if we are in a minus points situation

Think this is a good thing we need to clear the decks get a lot of fresh faces in with the right attitudes and hungry,

I don’t have the list of all out of contract players this summer but what’s important is that our recruitment team as started the process already. We can start the enquiries and we asking to agents.

i think it’s important imperative we get the nucleus of our team in before we return to preseason especially before we head off to our training camp.

if this squad needs to be turned over as much as it will be ( and it does ) our new look team needs as much time as possible to bed in 

non of this signing 5-6 players once the season as kicked off then playing catch up 

right attitude, right people, get them in early 

2 hours ago, vulva said:

Manager needs sorting first. Monks deal is up in June. 

Sort of agree.. But equally, monks has had his hands tied financially speaking and you have to say he did well bringing wickam and co in. I think the next few months is massive for him but i think it’s unfair to judge him now, maybe in May. 

11 minutes ago, fpowl said:

Think this is a good thing we need to clear the decks get a lot of fresh faces in with the right attitudes and hungry,

I don’t have the list of all out of contract players this summer but what’s important is that our recruitment team as started the process already. We can start the enquiries and we asking to agents.

i think it’s important imperative we get the nucleus of our team in before we return to preseason especially before we head off to our training camp.

if this squad needs to be turned over as much as it will be ( and it does ) our new look team needs as much time as possible to bed in 

non of this signing 5-6 players once the season as kicked off then playing catch up 

right attitude, right people, get them in early 

Yes, though one of the problems with just dealing in frees and loans, we are often waiting until the end of the window, especially the loans. That may become more pronounced, if we are trying to do those deals in a minus points situation

Edited by gurujuan

Guest wilyfox

This season is now a 3 month salvo for Monk and many of the players. Only a very strong finish will save them. Don't be daunted by an overhaul. Recruitment has improved this past year in terms of value for money, so I'd feel more confident of assembling a new younger side with less waste. 

Just now, Junk Smuggler said:

But still our 2 biggest earners in Westwood and Rhodes who will probably play little part. 

Westwood took a big drop to stay for an extra year.

If he’s taken up the 1 year extension it would have been the same money as before.

As I said, financially we should be a little more free from FFP

31 minutes ago, gurujuan said:

It’s not inconceivable that we could be relegated after a points deduction, either this season, or more likely next. It’s not just the points deduction, that squad of players who will still be under contract, looks more like a League One squad. It’s likely that we will only be able to strengthen with frees and loans. Of course it’s possible to do it that way, but that won’t be easy, if we are in a minus points situation

I’d agree with this I’d also agree with we might have to wait a longer for loans. I’d question having to wait for the frees especially if we start the process now. We want players that buy into the vision and culture of the club these are players that will sign their contracts to be part of it. If they are holding out for better deals or options. Then we either haven’t done enough to convince them to sign or they are not the right character 

there will be an abundance of frees this summer and we have 5-6 month from now to get this guys signed up ready for pre-season

if we are looking at 6-10 players In the summer I’d be hopeful 4-6 of these are in the building for the first day of training 

like I say 6 month recruitment team get started 

1 hour ago, The Horse said:

If we get the points deduction this season, am I right in thinking the slate gets wiped clean regards embargoes?

Meaning next season we get to go again from square one?

If so, then we need to get points on the board sharpish, take the hit this season, stay up and let whichever manager is in place re-build the entire squad sensibly and sustainability.

Dont think so no. Pretty sure the 3 year rolling losses thing just carries on doesn't It?

1 hour ago, The Horse said:

If we get the points deduction this season, am I right in thinking the slate gets wiped clean regards embargoes?

Meaning next season we get to go again from square one?

If so, then we need to get points on the board sharpish, take the hit this season, stay up and let whichever manager is in place re-build the entire squad sensibly and sustainability.

I think because it's a rolling three years the two years previous comes into play, in the last two years we haven't spent big and also sold the ground,

so in reality we should be able to spend, bearing in mind how much we still have to pay with regards to Rhodes etc.

13 minutes ago, daleblue said:

I think because it's a rolling three years the two years previous comes into play, in the last two years we haven't spent big and also sold the ground,

so in reality we should be able to spend, bearing in mind how much we still have to pay with regards to Rhodes etc.

We can lose a max £20m in this year's accounts to avoid breaching P&S. That's as things stay the same in terms of ground sale contribution.