Naive, unlucky, and a shocking ref

1 hour ago, Beholder said:

Move on is right. 

But I think monks post match interview was constructive rather than destructive.

He identified points in the game where decisions led to our overall capitulation.

That is what managers must do.

Identify things to work on..

Rather than come out with things that can't be changed like hanging players out to dry or denouncing the system that also implies singular players. 

That's why he is a manager and most of the caller's to P and G aren't. 

Agree with this. Thankfully Monk is keeping his composure.

Sure we have problems and weaknesses but yesterday from early on it felt like one of those games that was just going to be a bit of a disaster. It really is the Wednesday way I'm afraid. I felt much much much more angry over the three pathetic performances between Christmas and New Year. They are the ones that made me want to punch the wall. Leeds showed what we can do (although we were lucky they had Bamford) but yesterday simply showed against a physical team unless things go our way we often struggle. 

Sorry but with a Wednesday team that is at best marginally better than many of the opposites, we need a bit of luck. When we don't get it (and I don't think Weds could ever regularly be described as a lucky team), we struggle. Getting the early red card from an incompetent referee was unlucky and frankly we are not talented enough to win a game against a decent team from behind when we are down early doors to 10 men. I'll stand corrected but don't think we ever have in my 56 years on this planet.

Onwards and upwards.

1 hour ago, Kopparberg said:

Monk couldn’t really win yesterday based on team selection... that team won at Leeds... if he changes it and we lose people would be asking why. 

It’s the fact that Winnall isn’t strong enough and Reach and Murphy were no help whatsoever. 

Next time, we won’t do that hopefully. 

The only change he should have made was Nuhiu for Winnall. Winnall has been gash in nearly every game he’s played and has proven he’s miles behind what’s required. Nuhiu changed the game at Leeds and should have started 

4 minutes ago, FreshOwl said:

The only change he should have made was Nuhiu for Winnall. Winnall has been gash in nearly every game he’s played and has proven he’s miles behind what’s required. Nuhiu changed the game at Leeds and should have started 

Winnall is a recruitment fail. I thought we’d bought him from Barnsley to maybe sell on the year after for £1m. 

Winnall has gone from 7th choice at one point to 1st choice without proving anything. 

3 minutes ago, FreshOwl said:

To an extent, I agree.

Winnall isn't the striker to play by himself up front.  Likewise for Rhodes.

We could do a successful 1 striker set-up with Fletcher playing, but in his absence I'm not even sure Nuhiu plays that role well at home. Away, against teams who dominate possession... maybe yes. 

Plenty other contributing factors but it shows the complete dependence on 1 player Fletcher, and hence why we've been largely woeful in his absence at home.

• Like 1

Any history between Luongo & the ref?

Luongo one of only a handful of Australian internationals in the country, the referee the only Australian ref in the EFL. Similar age and must have mixed in the same circles throughout their respective careers.

Couldn’t wait to show him the red card!

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, S36 OWL said:

It's not down yo luck or bad refereeing decisions. We arnt goid enough full stop. The bulk of our squad is the same as it was four years ago, and has failed four times to get us promoted. Does anyone really think they are going to do it now? 

Dawson, Urhoghide, Borner, Iorfa, Murphy, Winnall, Fox, Luongo weren’t in the squad 4 years ago....that’s 8 out of yesterday’s starting 11

the issue isn’t that the bulk of the squad is the same, it’s that, in the main, we haven’t replaced that squad of 4 years ago with better or even equivalent players 

2 hours ago, casbahowl said:

Any history between Luongo & the ref?

Luongo one of only a handful of Australian internationals in the country, the referee the only Australian ref in the EFL. Similar age and must have mixed in the same circles throughout their respective careers.

Couldn’t wait to show him the red card!

I raised this in another thread.

There clearly wasn’t the stamp the referee indicated, so he was obviously looking for something that wasn’t there.

It just looked like he expected Luongo to do something dodgy based on reputation. 

4 hours ago, 1993swfc said:

The one up top thing is the biggest load of tripe I’ve ever heard in my life. 

West Brom, Leeds, Fulham, Brenford, Swansea and Forest all play with 1 up top. That’s current top 6. 

Last home game we played 2 up front against Hull. Problem isn’t formations or tactics. Can’t do anything when players lack the most basic requirement and that’s just putting a shift in. 

Agreed 

“2 upfront at home” - dopes guide to football 

4 hours ago, crookesowl said:

Naive - thinking 1 up top at home would work.
Naive - Urhoghide’s defending. Hopefully he’ll learn but he got way too close to his man and got skinned too easily 

Unlucky - rebound off Dawson’s head goes in. Dare I saw it the bounce never went our way 

Shocking ref - that was NEVER a red card. The club should be appealing against it. 

It was one of those days. Monk will know he set up wrong, but equally there was much out of his (and our) control that contributed significantly.

I’m going to chose to move on, try and forget it happened, and hope lessons will be learned.

we could have had a bent  ref on our side and playing against 9 men and we wouldn't have won yesterday , equally we could have played some no hoper team like Bolton or southend or even national league and we would almost certainly have lost. if we played say fylde in cup yesterday we would have been humiliated . if it wernt for blackburn easing off and some of there quality was poor we could have been tanked by 10 by a better team . I posted on here we were lucky that bottom of the league stoke didn't get 8-10 against us on boxing day ,guess what that was with 2 up front ,2 only works if you have 2 up front what are any good ,Rhodes and nuhiu that day was like playing with 10 men and they totally over run our poor midfield.

4 hours ago, 1993swfc said:

The one up top thing is the biggest load of tripe I’ve ever heard in my life. 

West Brom, Leeds, Fulham, Brenford, Swansea and Forest all play with 1 up top. That’s current top 6. 

Last home game we played 2 up front against Hull. Problem isn’t formations or tactics. Can’t do anything when players lack the most basic requirement and that’s just putting a shift in. 

We also played 2 up top at home to Hull, fat load of good that did. 

The 2 up top debate is a complete red herring. 

6 hours ago, crookesowl said:

Naive - thinking 1 up top at home would work.
Naive - Urhoghide’s defending. Hopefully he’ll learn but he got way too close to his man and got skinned too easily 

Unlucky - rebound off Dawson’s head goes in. Dare I saw it the bounce never went our way 

Shocking ref - that was NEVER a red card. The club should be appealing against it. 

It was one of those days. Monk will know he set up wrong, but equally there was much out of his (and our) control that contributed significantly.

I’m going to chose to move on, try and forget it happened, and hope lessons will be learned.

The most naive thing about this is you, but you’re not on your own. The hope for the best and paper over the cracks brigade are on the march today.