Thorniley joins Blackpool

Guest LondonOwl313
2 minutes ago, SiJ said:

For those complaining about letting him go, has it not dawned upon them that Jordan himself may have wanted to go?

He is 23? And is fourth choice, with little indication he'd be given a chance in the near future.

A decent player, but one who was needing first team football. Blackpool seems like a sensible move imo. 

Best of luck to him. From what I saw, he will do well.

People like him because he puts himself about, has a good attitude and works hard. Some fans prefer that to actually being good at football

He’ll do ok at Blackpool because that’s about his level. If I was him I’d be chomping at the bit to go there because if he just sits it out here in the under 23s before he’ll know it he’d be 25 with less than 50 games under his belt and might then find it hard to get a career in football at all

Whatever happened in pre season has had some sort of bearing on this.  He's already better than many of the centre halves in this league and I can't understand why another championship side hasn't come in for him.  I personally think this will come back to bite us on the backside.  I can understand us wanting to reduce the wage bill but personally i would have sold lees and kept bates and thorniley as back up baring in mind palmer can also play there and we will probably (hopefully) be signing at least one new fullback. 

• Like 1

Blackpool have probably paid less than £250k which I think is good business for them, he will do well and be a fans favourite with his work ethic and never die attitude I reckon,

Would rather have sold Van Allen first but if I’m honest if we are to be top 6 and potentially promotion candidates then I think Thorniley wouldn’t have quite made the grade

Good luck Jordan

15 minutes ago, Anlaby Owl said:

Whatever happened in pre season has had some sort of bearing on this.  He's already better than many of the centre halves in this league and I can't understand why another championship side hasn't come in for him.  I personally think this will come back to bite us on the backside.  I can understand us wanting to reduce the wage bill but personally i would have sold lees and kept bates and thorniley as back up baring in mind palmer can also play there and we will probably (hopefully) be signing at least one new fullback. 

Thats quite a statement,if he was as good as you suggest,should in theory have been knocking bids back from many clubs who needed a centre half.

The fact that there weren't any known of bids for him from championship clubs suggests that he's not as good as you think.

Never looked out of place when he has played,but better than most in that position ?

Can't believe how many melts we've got as fans. 

People calling it a 'massive' mistake. We've made loads of mistakes recently and this isn't one of them. 

He's played twice, he's 23, if he was any good he'd be playing every week at 23. 

Get a grip will ya

• Like 1

Guest Grez Bez

Disappointed to see him.keave but it's a good move for both parties.

I think he is a capable lower half championship defender. Does the basics well.

I wish him all the best.

2 minutes ago, BARMYARMY2010 said:

Thats quite a statement,if he was as good as you suggest,should in theory have been knocking bids back from many clubs who needed a centre half.

The fact that there weren't any known of bids for him from championship clubs suggests that he's not as good as you think.

Never looked out of place when he has played,but better than most in that position ?

I said better than many (not most as you posted) however, considering he hasn't had much game time and the fact that when he was he looked to be getting more confidence with each game i think his form would have only taken an upward direction.  I suppose the obvious reason why no championship club have taken a risk is exactly that, they won't have seen mucch of him in a championship environment. 

2 hours ago, PeakOwl said:

Think it’s a mistake too. Of the 3 centre backs in front of him, we’re likely to sell Iorfa sooner rather than later, and I think Lees is out of contract in the summer. 

Ought to have been selected today after two poor central defensive performances by the current picks

14 minutes ago, Simmo200 said:

Can't believe how many melts we've got as fans. 

People calling it a 'massive' mistake. We've made loads of mistakes recently and this isn't one of them. 

He's played twice, he's 23, if he was any good he'd be playing every week at 23. 

Get a grip will ya

I see that. But maybe they are playing for the wrong reasons!

4 minutes ago, Anlaby Owl said:

I said better than many (not most as you posted) however, considering he hasn't had much game time and the fact that when he was he looked to be getting more confidence with each game i think his form would have only taken an upward direction.  I suppose the obvious reason why no championship club have taken a risk is exactly that, they won't have seen mucch of him in a championship environment. 

Point of pedantry if i may

My mistake for posting "better than most"

IMO your mistake for saying " I can't understand why another championship side hasn't come in for him ",what with him being better than many,you either think he's as good as you think,so there would be no need for clubs to have seen him play regularly,or he's not.

2 hours ago, PeakOwl said:

Think it’s a mistake too. Of the 3 centre backs in front of him, we’re likely to sell Iorfa sooner rather than later, and I think Lees is out of contract in the summer. 

Tom Lees contracted until 2021.

We can get better than Thorniley. He's good but league one good! 

1 minute ago, BARMYARMY2010 said:

Point of pedantry if i may

My mistake for posting "better than most"

IMO your mistake for saying " I can't understand why another championship side hasn't come in for him ",what with him being better than many,you either think he's as good as you think,so there would be no need for clubs to have seen him play regularly,or he's not.

Certainly his positioning and his understanding/application of the offside trap was better than iorfas... Just to clarify as its you im answering... Thats not the same as saying he is better than iorfa..

He also seemed far cooler than both iorfa and Lees often do in certain instances.  I don't think he showed that he was capable of bringing/carrying the ball out confidently but the side that he played in wasnt exactly going to do much of this and maybe id be a bit more confident of say lees when it comes to an aerial assault (corners. Etc) however from what i saw of him he would have been on the verge of being first choice within a year if played alongside a steadying/calming influence for a few games.