Palmer RB and Fox LB

1 minute ago, Beholder said:

Like I say I'm thinking about keeping possession - we couldn't keep hold of it tonight. 

But I acknowledge your counter argument.

Yeah, I suppose it's all about how Monk wants to play.  Palmer is a little better on the ball, I agree, but Fox gives balance and better crosses (which we need for Fletch).   

Maybe the 'keeping posession' conundrum would better solved by getting FF on the pitch, moving Harris right and getting Lee involved.  Reach needs a rest!  

15 minutes ago, Suzuki_San said:

...but we'd miss Fox's natural left foot.  In the fiurst half, he put some awesome balls in the box, made overlaps, linked up well and defended great.  

I am baffled that anyone would say they would prefer Palmer at left back after watching that game.

We invited so much pressure on ourselves, and that started at the back.

You can't have your cake and eat it, and today we had hardly any possession and struggled to keep it when we had it - not just in defense, admittedly all over the pitch, but this season Palmer has been better at left back and we have looked more assured with Palmer on the left and Odubajo on the right, keeping possession an awful lot better.    

If we struggled today against that side to keep possession, I am a tad worried about our next game up.

I also disagree with those who say Palmer offers little going forwards, this season he has shown a real big change to his game and he does offer a lot offensively.

Edited by Salmonbones
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Suzuki_San said:

Yeah, I suppose it's all about how Monk wants to play.  Palmer is a little better on the ball, I agree, but Fox gives balance and better crosses (which we need for Fletch).   

Maybe the 'keeping posession' conundrum would better solved by getting FF on the pitch, moving Harris right and getting Lee involved.  Reach needs a rest!  

As does Palmer. He's not had the break the others have had. Personally I would have rested him tonight, as I would have done against Cardiff. We now go into the L**ds game with Palmer having played about 7 games in the last month and a round trip to Russia. No wonder he's a bit leggy.

I'll get slated but I don't know what "control" Bannan is bringing. It probably seems like my last 5 posts have been getting on his back but his distribution is questionable, his defending suspect. I'd still like to see Hutch, Lee, Luongo start but that looks even less likely now.

1 hour ago, Beholder said:

I think it makes us better defensively.

But not as good at keeping possession.

Makes us more orthodox. 

I prefer Palmer at left back. He seems to enjoy cutting in and adds a man to the midfield area. 

Obvs that doesn't happen if he is on the right.

Just an observation.

Agree with this. Fox is playing well but Palmer's best performances in the last 8 months or so have been on the left. Don't know whether it's a concentration thing and he seems to be more alert when playing left-back and he lets the ball run out or loses control near the touchline far more on the right.

2 hours ago, prowl said:

Palmer has been poor at RB. If he keeps playing like that he will get replaced by Odubajo. No idea if he's confused by reverting to RB.

Maybe just a loss of form.

I can’t agree with that at all. Palmer has not been spectacular but equally, neither has he been poor - he’s been steady. 

Fox a solid 7, aggressive, strong with some decent 1st time left footed crosses that palmer cant do at lb, or maybe even rb for that matter!

Lb is fox's for now but moses was solid before getting dropped and deserves a run at rb given palmers form imo

Guest Kagoshimaowl

Fox isn’t good enough but he’s performing to the best of his ability which is all you can ask.  Palmer is weirdly better at left back than right back. I still prefer Odubajo and Palmer personally.