Westwood’s injury

Guest Kagoshimaowl

Just now, McRightSide said:

Actually, I think that’s wrong

People tend to forget exactly how FEW mistakes Westwood has made in his entire career with us.

History tells us he might have a dodgy 3-4 game spell but then barely puts a foot (or hand) wrong for the other 35

Time erodes the memory. Westwood has been a very good keeper, but is prone to a cockup. Where Westwood wins over Dawson is his presence, and influence over the back 4. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, vulva said:

Time erodes the memory. Westwood has been a very good keeper, but is prone to a cockup. Where Westwood wins over Dawson is his presence, and influence over the back 4. 

He really isn’t.

Every now and again he has a short, little spell where he dips in form but then gets back to standard quickly - often happens when he’s carrying a knock too.

Agree with the first point though, you’re proving that well.

5 clean sheets and a dodgy free kick goal in 6 games and people are still moaning.......**** me there’d be a spvnk fest of biblical proportions if Westwood had that record with demands for him to be in the ballon d’or short list

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, HOOTIE AND THE poo TU said:

Naming no names but one poster said Dawson doesn't keep clean sheets

If we had a decent referee against Cardiff, he'd have had two in a row

Dawson saved us two points last night

he did, by doing his job.

but is he any better on crosses?

he's a fantastic shot stopper, I don't think anyone is arguing that point, it's his performance under a crossed ball that's the major concern.

4 hours ago, dorian gray said:

he did, by doing his job.

but is he any better on crosses?

he's a fantastic shot stopper, I don't think anyone is arguing that point, it's his performance under a crossed ball that's the major concern.

How many times did he drop a cross last night?

How many times has he dropped one before?

The CBs did their jobs last night, by heading away crosses.

Regardless of his shot stopping,and what a save that was, Dawson needs to improve the consistency of his kicking to be a good Championship keeper. He generally gets under the ball  causing the ball to go high with back spin. Try flicking that on.

Sometimes in trying to get over the ball he over compensates hence the low kicks. 

Nightmare for Fletcher when Dawson plays.

5 hours ago, HOOTIE AND THE poo TU said:

Naming no names but one poster said Dawson doesn't keep clean sheets

If we had a decent referee against Cardiff, he'd have had two in a row

Dawson saved us two points last night

Two in a row does him a disservice.....that Cardiff goal is the only league goal he’s conceded all season

1 hour ago, sMacLean said:

Westwood is the better keeper but made of biscuits, Dawson a better shot stopper and more agile but never a top 6 keeper. 

Be interested to hear who you think the “top 6” keepers are in the division?.....Butland?

17 hours ago, Birley Owl 1867 said:

How many times did he drop a cross last night?

How many times has he dropped one before?

The CBs did their jobs last night, by heading away crosses.

it's not the c/b's job to head away crosses inside 6 yards, it's his job to handle them

if you've not seen him badly handling a cross before now, then you need to pay far more attention, i'm struggling to remember a professional keeper looking less confident under one.

do you really think people are counting how many times he drops the ball in his career? how childish a question.

last night is one game, if fox has a cracking game, according to you he gets in the side forever.

Guest LondonOwl313
1 hour ago, dorian gray said:

it's not the c/b's job to head away crosses inside 6 yards, it's his job to handle them

if you've not seen him badly handling a cross before now, then you need to pay far more attention, i'm struggling to remember a professional keeper looking less confident under one.

do you really think people are counting how many times he drops the ball in his career? how childish a question.

last night is one game, if fox has a cracking game, according to you he gets in the side forever.

I can’t remember too many crosses that Stoke put in that were the keepers ball. Makes it hard to judge him on that aspect of his game if he isn’t tested on it.

Against Cardiff there was a cross in the first half he punched to the edge of the box when it was a straightforward catch. Another cross in the second half where he was rooted to his line and luckily it went out as they had nobody coming in. And the freekick (the fact it wasn’t one is irrelevant) where his positioning was awful.

For me they’re his weaknesses. Crosses, positioning and organising the defence. His strengths are agility and shot stopping, and that was on display again in both games

19 hours ago, Peacenocchio said:

Regardless of his shot stopping,and what a save that was, Dawson needs to improve the consistency of his kicking to be a good Championship keeper. He generally gets under the ball  causing the ball to go high with back spin. Try flicking that on.

Sometimes in trying to get over the ball he over compensates hence the low kicks. 

Nightmare for Fletcher when Dawson plays.

It has not held Westwood back. There isn’t much between them in that criteria.

1 hour ago, LondonOwl313 said:

I can’t remember too many crosses that Stoke put in that were the keepers ball. Makes it hard to judge him on that aspect of his game if he isn’t tested on it.

Against Cardiff there was a cross in the first half he punched to the edge of the box when it was a straightforward catch. Another cross in the second half where he was rooted to his line and luckily it went out as they had nobody coming in. And the freekick (the fact it wasn’t one is irrelevant) where his positioning was awful.

For me they’re his weaknesses. Crosses, positioning and organising the defence. His strengths are agility and shot stopping, and that was on display again in both games

of course they are, the guy seriously struggles with this aspect of his game.

if he plays for any length of time in the first Xl, he'll be buried in crosses, he's not been good enough, he isn't at present, and at 24 not likely to improve to the level needed with his present restrictions.