Westwood’s injury

Guest Kagoshimaowl

Think Dawson will be a good keeper for us when he starts commanding his area better. For now I would much rather Westwood be our number 1. In January I would be tempted to let Dawson go on loan to gain more experience, obviously depending on our own keeper situations. 

8 hours ago, FreshOwl said:

Frightens me too mate. Guaranteed at least 1 goal conceded a game. And before anyone starts calling me negative, look up the facts lol 

Dawson has conceded 1 goal in 3 games. Westwood has been at fault for the red card at Reading, the goals at Millwall and at home to Fulham.

Don't get me wrong Westwood is the clear number 1 but this myth that Dawson is error prone is exactly that. He's been very consistent with very few errors that have cost us. Somehow Wildsmith seems to be 'clearly better' despite making numerous howlers in previous seasons. I went to an U23 game where he actually made 3 howlers in the space of 20 minutes. 

Dawson won us a point on Friday night with his late save.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

53 minutes ago, WalthamOwl said:

Think Dawson will be a good keeper for us when he starts commanding his area better. For now I would much rather Westwood be our number 1. In January I would be tempted to let Dawson go on loan to gain more experience, obviously depending on our own keeper situations. 

There's lies the current problem.

No doubt he is a good shot stopper but nippy bum time when crosses are thrown in and I think that's currently what he's being judged on.

He seems to lack the confidence of coming out for a cross or commanding his defence in the area.

You would like to think this can be coached into him at his age and agree he would probably benefit with a loan spell away as a no.1 somewhere.

Trouble is, people have been saying this for some time now.

9 hours ago, FreshOwl said:

Frightens me too mate. Guaranteed at least 1 goal conceded a game. And before anyone starts calling me negative, look up the facts lol 

I’ve looked them up and he’s conceded 1 very dodgy cheating goal that 99% of refs would have disallowed in 4 league games he’s played this season

yes, I can see why that equates to guaranteed at least 1 goal a game

• Thanks 2
  • Haha 7

1 hour ago, WalthamOwl said:

When people are going on about commanding the area I think they miss the point that this method of keeping is very rarely practiced in modern football for a variety of reasons.....even the top premier league keepers very rarely come charging off their line to claim crosses like we used to see.

theres a variety of reasons for this including that attacking teams work on how to block keepers from doing this, the modern ball and players ability to move it around in the air and wit( particular reference to Friday night, the weather conditions......you’ve only got to see their keepers save in the first half where a shot from distance was straight down his throat and he elected to punch it away

if you what to see keepers “commanding their area” then it’s not Westwood or any other keeper you need it’s a trip back to the 1980’s

1 hour ago, mark77 said:

Dawson has conceded 1 goal in 3 games. Westwood has been at fault for the red card at Reading, the goals at Millwall and at home to Fulham.

Don't get me wrong Westwood is the clear number 1 but this myth that Dawson is error prone is exactly that. He's been very consistent with very few errors that have cost us. Somehow Wildsmith seems to be 'clearly better' despite making numerous howlers in previous seasons. I went to an U23 game where he actually made 3 howlers in the space of 20 minutes. 

Dawson won us a point on Friday night with his late save.

Arguably lost us two with by giving Tomlin three quarters of the goal to aim at?

42 goals conceded in 24 championship games last season. And some on here say he’s a decent keeper and he doesn’t concede a goal a game? 

And getting these facts from my ar$e was so f***ing painful it was untrue :laugh:

Edited by Great Big Galaa

10 hours ago, FreshOwl said:

absolutely true...I’m all for young lads getting a chance but you have to be honest about things and is dawson good enough??? Possibly not. 

Shot stopping is decent but everything else you expect of a keeper is quite weak at the moment. 

2 minutes ago, Great Big Galaa said:

42 goals conceded in 24 championship games last season. And some on here say he’s a decent keeper and he doesn’t concede a goal a game? :laugh:

How many of those goals came when Dawson should have saved them?

Just because I know you will dodge the question I'll give you the answer-

It's zero. 

• Thanks 1