Westwood’s injury

Guest Kagoshimaowl

Just now, vulva said:

Dawson is an excellent young keeper. No problem at all imo. 

he's neither young, nor excellent.

if we had brought him in from another club, we'd be playing hell as to who's scouted him, he's insecure, he fails to inspire confidence in the back line, he is amongst the worst I've seen under a cross as a wednesday keeper?

I really am struggling to think of worse, but you can start naming them if you know of any.

just because the lad has come up through the club, shouldn't give him any free merit over anyone else, we've clearly got an injury prone aging first choice, and a guy in back up who has the chance to prove himself, will that back up keeper have taken the jersey in two years time? I think not at sheffield wednesday.

5 minutes ago, dorian gray said:

if we had brought him in from another club, we'd be playing hell as to who's scouted him, he's insecure, he fails to inspire confidence in the back line, he is amongst the worst I've seen under a cross as a wednesday keeper?

I really am struggling to think of worse, but you can start naming them if you know of any.

just because the lad has come up through the club, shouldn't give him any free merit over anyone else, we've clearly got an injury prone aging first choice, and a guy in back up who has the chance to prove himself, will that back up keeper have taken the jersey in two years time? I think not at sheffield wednesday.

He’s 24. That’s young for a keeper. And if he’s the worst you’ve seen then your first game must have been Cardiff away on Friday. 

18 minutes ago, dorian gray said:

It seems most are letting his shot stopping take precedent over all his other attributes.

Their were opposition crosses hitting the 6 yard box last Friday that he wasn’t coming for 

1 hour ago, vulva said:

He’s 24. That’s young for a keeper. And if he’s the worst you’ve seen then your first game must have been Cardiff away on Friday. 

there's plenty of good keepers around at his age, and younger than him, he should be better than he is at his age.

so name the one's we've had who have been worse under a high ball?, or was Cardiff your first game?

3 minutes ago, dorian gray said:

there's plenty of good keepers around at his age, and younger than him, he should be better than he is at his age.

so name the one's we've had who have been worse under a high ball?, or was Cardiff your first game?

Tidman, Heald, Adamson, Wildsmith, Beresford, Bywater, Brad Jones, David Hirst, Lee Bullen, Srnicek and Chris Woods. 

Apart from that lot, you might have a point. 

1 minute ago, vulva said:

Tidman, Heald, Adamson, Wildsmith, Beresford, Bywater, Brad Jones, David Hirst, Lee Bullen, Srnicek and Chris Woods. 

I can't remember a timid juggler amongst them.

he's scared to come, c'os he knows what the likely outcome is if he does, so he stays back.

Guest LondonOwl313
1 hour ago, vulva said:

Apart from the last two though, all of those keepers were either back up or when we were in league 1 or absolutely dire at the bottom of the Championship in the 2000s (or outfield players!).

Dawson isn't the worst keeper we've ever had. It depends how you're going to judge him though doesn't it. If it's on him making a career as a back up keeper, playing 5 games a season when the No.1 is out injured then you can live with the deficiencies at this level. If his ambition is to be our No.1, which I think it is if you listen to him talk, then there is a lot that he needs to work on.

It's constructive criticism but the bottom line is he needs to improve in lots of areas or he won't make it as a No.1, the best players will be their own harshest critics as how else do you improve. Some of these things are easy to rectify (or should be) and that includes how you position for free kicks. If he can't improve the rest of his game (as bar shot stopping it's not championship standard), then he won't make it. At 24 he's no longer 'young' but is a good few years still away from his prime as a keeper. His window of opportunity for showing enough to be No.1 is closing though. 

As others have said, you wouldn't want to sign him from another club as our No.1 and that's the threshold for the standard he needs to set to be good enough taking off the blue and white glasses. Other Championship clubs should want him as their main keeper... that would be a sign he's performing well enough. As things stand I don't think they'll be queueing up... if he leaves here at the end of the season he will either drop down the leagues or go somewhere else as a No.2 or No.3. Needs to step up whilst he has the opportunity 

16 hours ago, Ash76 said:

Dawson has everything, he’s shown that at different times. The key is getting it all out on a consistent basis but that will only come with experience and confidence. He’s still a kid in GK terms.

On the free kick though the biggest mistake is he’s got 6 in the wall, that’s why he looks too far over. That needed a 4 or 5 man wall and they all needed to shuffle a couple of feet over to his right. 

Another error I noticed from

the officials though was they had a man on the end of our wall didn’t think that was allowed anymore? 

Can't for the life of me see why this post got so many negs, it's all common sense.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Emerson Thome said:

Can't for the life of me see why this post got so many negs, it's all common sense.

because people don’t like criticism, even when it’s warranted. 

I’m still far from convinced Dawson could make a top Championship keeper. As has been pointed out, he fails to command his area and hardly ever comes for crosses. Smart saves at his feet won’t cut it - even at 24 I wonder how much a player can improve??

2 minutes ago, Essix Blue said:

I’m still far from convinced Dawson could make a top Championship keeper. As has been pointed out, he fails to command his area and hardly ever comes for crosses. Smart saves at his feet won’t cut it - even at 24 I wonder how much a player can improve??

I agree with you, and we’ll never know the answer until he actually plays week in week out for someone.

Needs to be a lower level since he’s show he’s not quite ready for that here

5 minutes ago, Essix Blue said:

People tend to forget that Westwood makes quite a few mistakes, and has done since he’s been here. Westwood is the better keeper, as it stands, but Dawson is the least of our problems. 

5 minutes ago, vulva said:

People tend to forget that Westwood makes quite a few mistakes, and has done since he’s been here. Westwood is the better keeper, as it stands, but Dawson is the least of our problems. 

Actually, I think that’s wrong

People tend to forget exactly how FEW mistakes Westwood has made in his entire career with us.

History tells us he might have a dodgy 3-4 game spell but then barely puts a foot (or hand) wrong for the other 35