Westwood’s injury

Guest Kagoshimaowl

4 hours ago, Owlinmad said:

Dawson was in the correct position, the wall wasn't. He should have lined them up another yard to his right to cover the bend around the wall shot.

He made a mistake and needs to learn from it.

As for people saying he can't catch..........how has he managed to become understudy to a top class keeper in a top half Championship side if he can't perform the basic requirement for a goalkeeper ?

Some fans really are dumb.

The ball went over the wall!

it wouldn’t make any difference if it was a yard to his right or a yard to his left......a yard nearer the moon might have helped though 

• Haha 1

On 20/10/2019 at 09:56, Ian said:

When people are going on about commanding the area I think they miss the point that this method of keeping is very rarely practiced in modern football for a variety of reasons.....even the top premier league keepers very rarely come charging off their line to claim crosses like we used to see.

theres a variety of reasons for this including that attacking teams work on how to block keepers from doing this, the modern ball and players ability to move it around in the air and wit( particular reference to Friday night, the weather conditions......you’ve only got to see their keepers save in the first half where a shot from distance was straight down his throat and he elected to punch it away

if you what to see keepers “commanding their area” then it’s not Westwood or any other keeper you need it’s a trip back to the 1980’s

agree to some extent. 

But commanding the area is more than coming off his line. He’s quiet, he doesn’t organise / instruct / even rollock players enough. Westwood is constantly at his defence even when they aren’t defending, this is where Dawson needs to improve imo 

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Essix Blue said:

agree to some extent. 

But commanding the area is more than coming off his line. He’s quiet, he doesn’t organise / instruct / even rollock players enough. Westwood is constantly at his defence even when they aren’t defending, this is where Dawson needs to improve imo 

Westwood is only rollicking his defence because it means he can waste a bit more time

• Haha 1

On 20/10/2019 at 10:44, Great Big Galaa said:

Arguably lost us two with by giving Tomlin three quarters of the goal to aim at?

You could argue there were other aspects that might have helped prevent the goal. Dawson, like any keeper was covering the side it would be easiest for the free kick taker to dip it over the wall to,the furthest corner from him. 

The wall covers the more difficult angle for the set piece taker. It didn't do its job. If you watch the replay the only man between the goal and Tomlin that jumped was Flint. Our whole wall were static as they watched it sail into the net, feet firmly planted. If Fletcher had jumped it would have hit him square in the chest.

Oh and the ref and linesman didn't do their jobs properly either. 

Dawson has everything, he’s shown that at different times. The key is getting it all out on a consistent basis but that will only come with experience and confidence. He’s still a kid in GK terms.

On the free kick though the biggest mistake is he’s got 6 in the wall, that’s why he looks too far over. That needed a 4 or 5 man wall and they all needed to shuffle a couple of feet over to his right. 

Another error I noticed from

the officials though was they had a man on the end of our wall didn’t think that was allowed anymore? 

6 hours ago, Ash76 said:

Dawson has everything, he’s shown that at different times. The key is getting it all out on a consistent basis but that will only come with experience and confidence. He’s still a kid in GK terms.

On the free kick though the biggest mistake is he’s got 6 in the wall, that’s why he looks too far over. That needed a 4 or 5 man wall and they all needed to shuffle a couple of feet over to his right. 

the officials though was they had a man on the end of our wall didn’t think that was allowed anymore? 

You need to take the sun glasses off next time. I think you missed the 6ft 7 star jumping idiot bang in front of him.

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, WalthamOwl said:

If Westwood is indeed going to be injury prone this season (really hope he isn’t) I would like to see us bring a new keeper in during the next transfer window. 

when has westwood not been injury prone while here? many times he has been carrying an injury. had the most pull outs of Ireland squads on record. 

35 minutes ago, agentwalker said:

You need to take the sun glasses off next time. I think you missed the 6ft 7 star jumping idiot bang in front of him.

I saw him, what relevance has that to my post you have quoted? 

7 hours ago, Ash76 said:

He wasn’t in a bad position, but then he moves left due to Flint and that puts him a bad position 

10 hours ago, Essix Blue said:

agree to some extent. 

this is so true, and probably the major issue with his game that needs ironing out. 

if I re-watched the game I could probably find about 5-7 example of where - with a bit of better communication - we would have retained position rather than blasting it away / out for a throw 

38 minutes ago, Ash76 said:

I saw him, what relevance has that to my post you have quoted? 

You claim its the wall forcing him too far over. You can clearly see him trying to look round the left of their defender to see the ball.

The issue I have with Dawson is that it would appear no lessons have been learned whatsoever in regards to his time on the pitch last season - he needs to command his box MUCH better. It's glaringly obvious to everyone watching. No denying he's a good shot stopper.

41 minutes ago, owlZfan84 said:

The issue I have with Dawson is that it would appear no lessons have been learned whatsoever in regards to his time on the pitch last season - he needs to command his box MUCH better. It's glaringly obvious to everyone watching. No denying he's a good shot stopper.

completely agree with this. 

56 minutes ago, agentwalker said:

You claim its the wall forcing him too far over. You can clearly see him trying to look round the left of their defender to see the ball.

The point was it was a contributing factor, not the only one 

11 hours ago, Mystic Neg said:

You could argue there were other aspects that might have helped prevent the goal. Dawson, like any keeper was covering the side it would be easiest for the free kick taker to dip it over the wall to,the furthest corner from him. 

The wall covers the more difficult angle for the set piece taker. It didn't do its job. If you watch the replay the only man between the goal and Tomlin that jumped was Flint. Our whole wall were static as they watched it sail into the net, feet firmly planted. If Fletcher had jumped it would have hit him square in the chest.

Oh and the ref and linesman didn't do their jobs properly either. 

I agree with that but the danger is that if the wall jumps the taker can blast it under the wall. A case of damned if you do and damned it you don't. I suspect the manager decides which action the wall takes and maybe mixes it up so that it doesn't get too predictable.

22 hours ago, davetherivelinowl said:

I'm not sure what you mean. What could he have done? Even on the effects mike you can hear Dawson shouting 'lino, lino'. It's obvious that he was distracted by the starjumper and maybe that explains his poor positioning. If Dawson had just set himself up, ignoring the starjumper some would have moaned about him not complaining loud enough.

We got cheated by Cardiff (both Warnock and Flint admitted it) and let down by the officials. I imagine all officials will be told to look out for it in the future. 

you forgot to add on the quiet.

15 hours ago, Essix Blue said:

agree to some extent. 

a good goalkeeper, and I mean good, gives a defence one hell of a lot of confidence.

an 'unsecure' one, gives them the jitters.