Westwood’s injury

Guest Kagoshimaowl

On ‎20‎/‎10‎/‎2019 at 09:00, mark77 said:

Dawson has conceded 1 goal in 3 games. Westwood has been at fault for the red card at Reading, the goals at Millwall and at home to Fulham.

Don't get me wrong Westwood is the clear number 1 but this myth that Dawson is error prone is exactly that. He's been very consistent with very few errors that have cost us. Somehow Wildsmith seems to be 'clearly better' despite making numerous howlers in previous seasons. I went to an U23 game where he actually made 3 howlers in the space of 20 minutes. 

Dawson won us a point on Friday night with his late save.

100% this !!!

And that goal should not have counted !! You can go on about his position but he was clearly being ignored by the officials when he was rightly being obstructed so he took the decision to step to the left and cover HIS side of the goal. Yes in an ideal world he takes the step to the right and saves it but if he did that and it went in his side he would be slaughtered even more. If Flint isn't there he sees it earlier and saves it simple as.

The save later is brilliant and wins us a point.

He does need to command his area more which I'm sure there working on but playing very little competitive football wont help. If Westwood is out for a longer period this could help Dawson progress.

13 hours ago, HOOTIE AND THE poo TU said:

Read your own post

You're a glass half full type

We have a good young player on our hands

You talk of facts, I gave you a fact

If the referee had done his job right, Dawson wouldn't have conceded

I noticed you didn't comment on his great save down at the foot of the post

You're a critic not a supporter

And we’re all glass hall full mate, we support Wednesday ffs 

Guest LondonOwl313
5 minutes ago, McRightSide said:

Dawson just needs to play more.

We’re not doing him any favours having him sat on the bench.

Not quite good enough to be our #1 but might be in future.

Needs to go an be an #1 somewhere for a year 

He does need to play games, should go out on loan to do that and see if he can improve. He could barely keep a clean sheet last season when he played most of the games in the first half of the season (albeit not all his fault as a lot of it can be pinned on Jos).

Realistically though, my hunch is he's never going to be our number 1. He's 24 already... our aspirations should be Premier League and he's never going to be good enough for that. Henderson at Utd is younger and a lot better. The best keepers in the Prem are only a few years older.

People talk about potential as if he's 18. He's had a chance and hasn't shown enough for me. Every game he plays there are 2-3 moments where you think 'what is he doing that for'. I don't tend to think that when Westwood plays (granted he's made a few errors this season), nor do I think that about opposition keepers in this league very often. His fantastic shot stopping doesn't offset that because over a season it will cost us 10 goals or so which for a team like Wednesday who rely on a strong defence and don't score shed loads of goals ends up costing a lot of points and hence the league position suffers. 

Guest LondonOwl313
7 minutes ago, Dutch McLovin said:

100% this !!!

And that goal should not have counted !! You can go on about his position but he was clearly being ignored by the officials when he was rightly being obstructed so he took the decision to step to the left and cover HIS side of the goal. Yes in an ideal world he takes the step to the right and saves it but if he did that and it went in his side he would be slaughtered even more. If Flint isn't there he sees it earlier and saves it simple as.

The save later is brilliant and wins us a point.

He does need to command his area more which I'm sure there working on but playing very little competitive football wont help. If Westwood is out for a longer period this could help Dawson progress.

The shot was never going to go to the left because offside would have been likely given against Flint. Was extremely obvious they were going to shoot for the right hand corner. I was shouting at my TV for him to move over to the right and was fuming when it went in. If he was going to stand that far to the left he needed a defender to stand on the right hand post because there was no way he could cover that corner in time. That was exactly what happened. An avoidable goal

4 minutes ago, LondonOwl313 said:

The shot was never going to go to the left because offside would have been likely given against Flint. Was extremely obvious they were going to shoot for the right hand corner. I was shouting at my TV for him to move over to the right and was fuming when it went in. If he was going to stand that far to the left he needed a defender to stand on the right hand post because there was no way he could cover that corner in time. That was exactly what happened. An avoidable goal

Very true but again if flint isn't there then it doesn't happen. Regardless of where the ball went flint should have been flagged offside.

I was critical of him standing too far over against Norwich last season so can see the point but this one cannot be blamed on Dawson, it was bad officiating.

Guest LondonOwl313
Just now, Dutch McLovin said:

Very true but again if flint isn't there then it doesn't happen. Regardless of where the ball went flint should have been flagged offside.

I was critical of him standing too far over against Norwich last season so can see the point but this one cannot be blamed on Dawson, it was bad officiating.

Well yeah, it was the ref's fault first and foremost. But given he was a Cardiff fan, it wasn't surprising and couldn't rely on him giving it. Just think Dawson got it all wrong.. the little step to the left just before the ball was struck was what did him. If his positioning is right, he dives to the right and the strike is that good it still goes in then it's not his fault. But his positioning wasn't right so he has to take the blame for it.

5 minutes ago, LondonOwl313 said:

Well yeah, it was the ref's fault first and foremost. But given he was a Cardiff fan, it wasn't surprising and couldn't rely on him giving it. Just think Dawson got it all wrong.. the little step to the left just before the ball was struck was what did him. If his positioning is right, he dives to the right and the strike is that good it still goes in then it's not his fault. But his positioning wasn't right so he has to take the blame for it.

Oh I agree, and I think it was that little step to the left that did him. I'm just thinking of why he did it.

53 minutes ago, LondonOwl313 said:

He does need to play games, should go out on loan to do that and see if he can improve. He could barely keep a clean sheet last season when he played most of the games in the first half of the season (albeit not all his fault as a lot of it can be pinned on Jos).

Realistically though, my hunch is he's never going to be our number 1. He's 24 already... our aspirations should be Premier League and he's never going to be good enough for that. Henderson at Utd is younger and a lot better. The best keepers in the Prem are only a few years older.

People talk about potential as if he's 18. He's had a chance and hasn't shown enough for me. Every game he plays there are 2-3 moments where you think 'what is he doing that for'. I don't tend to think that when Westwood plays (granted he's made a few errors this season), nor do I think that about opposition keepers in this league very often. His fantastic shot stopping doesn't offset that because over a season it will cost us 10 goals or so which for a team like Wednesday who rely on a strong defence and don't score shed loads of goals ends up costing a lot of points and hence the league position suffers. 

quality summary.

On 20/10/2019 at 10:10, Jon Newsome said:

You pulled your facts from your arse then?

Its not out of anyones arsse that the defence do not trust Dawson.

Thought he was going to be a good GK but it aint gonna happen.

The stupid German ruined him.

His positioning for their equaliser was appalling.

17 minutes ago, owlsdreamer said:

Its not out of anyones arsse that the defence do not trust Dawson.

Thought he was going to be a good GK but it aint gonna happen.

The stupid German ruined him.

His positioning for their equaliser was appalling.

HAAHAHHAHAHAHAHA

jesus wept ...

2 hours ago, LondonOwl313 said:

Vast majority of those errors are inexperience vs lack of ability

We can only talk about potential because he’s hardly played. 

Dawson was in the correct position, the wall wasn't. He should have lined them up another yard to his right to cover the bend around the wall shot.

He made a mistake and needs to learn from it.

As for people saying he can't catch..........how has he managed to become understudy to a top class keeper in a top half Championship side if he can't perform the basic requirement for a goalkeeper ?

Some fans really are dumb.

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, Dutch McLovin said:

Oh I agree, and I think it was that little step to the left that did him. I'm just thinking of why he did it.

I reckon he thought the ball was coming right over or to the left of Flint to that side or he would be there doing star jumps. He gambled and guessed wrong. Still a crap decision by the ref and linesman.

Someone should have gone and stood on the ball until Flint was moved.

Edited by OwlBiSeeinThi

On 20/10/2019 at 11:06, agentwalker said:

Dawson is a good shot stopper and arguably a better kicker than westwood.

But for me, in the Cardif game if westwood plays we win that game. There is no way in hell Westwood would have let that free kick be taken with a 7ft star jumping thrower in front of him.

This is where Dawson needs to improve, he's too soft. You look at some of the best schmeichel, Neuer. not only are they good shot stoppers they also don't take any crap, if someone does something wrong they tell them no matter who they are.

I'm not sure what you mean. What could he have done? Even on the effects mike you can hear Dawson shouting 'lino, lino'. It's obvious that he was distracted by the starjumper and maybe that explains his poor positioning. If Dawson had just set himself up, ignoring the starjumper some would have moaned about him not complaining loud enough.

We got cheated by Cardiff (both Warnock and Flint admitted it) and let down by the officials. I imagine all officials will be told to look out for it in the future. 

1 hour ago, OwlBiSeeinThi said:

I reckon he thought the ball was coming right over or to the left of Flint to that side or he would be there doing star jumps. He gambled and guessed wrong. Still a crap decision by the ref and linesman.

100% Correct

1 hour ago, OwlBiSeeinThi said:

Bang on. This is one of the reasons why we won't go up and don't tend to win away to the top sides. We just aren't smart enough sometimes.

On 19/10/2019 at 00:45, FreshOwl said:

Frightens me too mate. Guaranteed at least 1 goal conceded a game. And before anyone starts calling me negative, look up the facts lol 

Did a politician give you this fact? or Rafa? was it on HITC? Barnsley at home would suggest this 'fact' to be wrong. If you mean he averages 1 goal a game then christ that's not terrible. Also his average might have something to do with playing a lot when our squad was knackered under Jos. Dawson will be our keeper for a decade once Westwood is too old, and he will be a bloody good one. Not a fact just a thought. lol

4 minutes ago, tarn owl said:

Did a politician give you this fact? or Rafa? was it on HITC? Barnsley at home would suggest this 'fact' to be wrong. If you mean he averages 1 goal a game then christ that's not terrible. Also his average might have something to do with playing a lot when our squad was knackered under Jos. Dawson will be our keeper for a decade once Westwood is too old, and he will be a bloody good one. Not a fact just a thought. lol

You can't say that!

this is owlstalk, give your head a wobble, and slag someone off!

Good points especially the one re. teams with Jos.

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, FreshOwl said:

Thousands of times I’ve praised players on here, Fletcher, Borner and Iorfa every week for example. So don’t call me the critic for pointing out faults with Dawson. 

As I’ve also said (if you’d bothered to look)  his shot stopping is very strong, but his command of his area is pathetic 

He's young still for a goalkeeper, so he's going to be quick and agile and a good reflex keeper. 

The skills such as marshaling a back four, commanding the area and positional sense and tactical awerenes will come with experience as he gets older and more game time. The latter yes Westwood is far superior, but I don't think due to his age and wear and tear on the body his reflexes and agility are now as good as Dawson these days. 

We have a fantastic young goalkeeper and a very good older more experienced one, but not someone in between who's in their prime and is a good all round keeper. Someone mentioned monk may bring a new keeper in which if he's looking at it would be logical, but we' really need to get Dawson and wildsmith out on loan so we can let the lad Jones? Is it warm the bench and get the young ones some first team experience elsewhere.