KUDOS TO MONK

2 hours ago, Roy Of The Roasters said:

The big problem in my mind is that he's never been anywhere long enough as a manager for anyone to know whether he can build on his early good work. There's no shortage of managers who have made a good start only to see it all slowly unravel.

But we've got him now, he's made a good start, and if yesterday is anything to go by he's got a bit of tactical nous.Keep up the good work Gary.

Which does make me think about how many managers start well, and it DOESN'T unravel...unless you can paper over these cracks by spending insane amounts of money

• Like 2

Great result yesterday. Monk has inherited the snakes unfinished mess without time to prepare so he's made an excellent start. 

He got slaughtered on here following the cup game & now, in classic OT style, he's suddenly a great coach and master tactician.

Lose at hull and  the moaners will return again to question his appointment. 

He needs to be supported and given time - these are not his players, but unfortunately some Wednesdayites demand instant miracles. 

Good luck GM & the lads

Keep up the good work!

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Lawrie’s Left Peg said:

Great post. Lots of pertinent points. Think he will require patience if he is to follow the path you describe. Patience from Monk, the fans, the club and the media. If any of those factions turn we will be back on the manager merry go round again and I for one am tired of that. 

Aren't we all mate. Groundhog day comes to mind. Which, thinking about it, is a good name for a home game at the sty.  :tango:

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Monk is tactically aware. How refreshing. 

Not really a big fan of stats as you know but one I did take notice of was that since Monk’s arrival, we’ve had the most success in the Championship with substitutions that have had a positive impact on the game in terms of goals and assists, suggesting he is a good reader of the game, and knows what substitutions will have the most influence on the outcome of a game.

Worth a good number of additional points is that. It’s the little things like this that when put together, make a huge difference to teams’ fortunes and points collecting.

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, Buddy Repperton said:

Great result yesterday. Monk has inherited the snakes unfinished mess without time to prepare so he's made an excellent start. 

He got slaughtered on here following the cup game & now, in classic OT style, he's suddenly a great coach and master tactician.

Lose at hull and  the moaners will return again to question his appointment. 

He needs to be supported and given time - these are not his players, but unfortunately some Wednesdayites demand instant miracles. 

Good luck GM & the lads

Keep up the good work!

And some just can't wait for any minor failure - but they are just a very small minority who get a real kick out of it... and I bet they'd cry if someone did it to them...

Edited by hangonrose

20 minutes ago, hangonrose said:

But 'anywhere near' somehow won't be good enough on here...

We have no god given rite to be promoted and at present there are teams with much bigger spending power than us. We are at a crossroads for the squad (many in last year of contract ) so anything better than a top half finish would be good. This isnt Monks squad he has to make the best of it and people have to be realistic. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Owl Stork said:

Aren't we all mate. Groundhog day comes to mind. Which, thinking about it, is a good name for a home game at the sty.  :tango:

Think Monk is better quality than Jos and Carlos. Hopefully he is more loyal than Mrs Brown. Given time I think he has the ability to get this club back where it belongs.

• Like 1

Based on this season I’m not sure why anyone would question pairing Attey with fletcher both strikers are bang in form ( maybe not goal wise with attey ) but his general play has been excellent. I was very happy to see him start after his display against Everton 

personally id keep the partnership going until it’s broken our attey is having a great season so is fletcher 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, theowlsman said:

Monk is tactically aware. How refreshing. 

Not really a big fan of stats as you know but one I did take notice of was that since Monk’s arrival, we’ve had the most success in the Championship with substitutions that have had a positive impact on the game in terms of goals and assists, suggesting he is a good reader of the game, and knows what substitutions will have the most influence on the outcome of a game.

Worth a good number of additional points is that. It’s the little things like this that when put together, make a huge difference to teams’ fortunes and points collecting.

Wasn’t aware of that stat but agree it’s an interesting one. Once the players cross the white line there’s not much a manager can do to influence a game but good substitutions definitely can. 

1 hour ago, ZicoSterland2 said:

We have no god given rite to be promoted and at present there are teams with much bigger spending power than us. We are at a crossroads for the squad (many in last year of contract ) so anything better than a top half finish would be good. This isnt Monks squad he has to make the best of it and people have to be realistic. 

This is an extremely sensible and balanced post( I would have written exactly the same.)

I think come May if they are anywhere below 6th place these types of post will be in the very tiny minority.

I just enjoy weekends like this one,and try not to let bad results get to me too much...it’s hard though! 

It’s such a tight league. A couple of bad results and things can look bleak, a couple of wins and Wembley here we come!!

Beat Hull and Wigan and automatics definitely on;-)

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ZicoSterland2 said:

Let's be fair though, he "has to make the best" of a pretty good squad.

I understand he will want to bring in players long term but I still believe we should and will be, in and around the top 6 come the end of the season.

Going into the international break in the top 6 will help player confidence and get the crowd believing again (remember that first season with Carlos - the atmosphere was amazing), and that can make all the difference.

Believe in the Monkman!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, fpowl said:

Based on this season I’m not sure why anyone would question pairing Attey with fletcher both strikers are bang in form ( maybe not goal wise with attey ) but his general play has been excellent. I was very happy to see him start after his display against Everton 

personally id keep the partnership going until it’s broken our attey is having a great season so is fletcher 

Playing  them both together makes us one dimensional and predictable. Yesterday that worked perfectly in our favour because Middlesbrough simply couldn’t cope with that approach. Other teams with bigger more experienced CBs will cope better with the long ball. Got a feeling Monk will pick horses for courses more often than not. 

55 minutes ago, Lawrie’s Left Peg said:

Playing  them both together makes us one dimensional and predictable. Yesterday that worked perfectly in our favour because Middlesbrough simply couldn’t cope with that approach. Other teams with bigger more experienced CBs will cope better with the long ball. Got a feeling Monk will pick horses for courses more often than not. 

Agree with this. Think Monk is very tactically astute and it will be horses for courses in use of both systems and players. He does actually have a Plan B.lol

On 29/09/2019 at 17:47, Lawrie’s Left Peg said:

I am one of those who questioned Monk’s appointment. I still have doubts about his ability long term to get us promoted. 

However, he deserves great credit for his tactics against Middlesbrough. It’s so refreshing to see a manager devise a positive gameplan to expose the oppositions weakness especially away from home. 

For too long we’ve had to sit and watch negative managers with negative tactics too concerned about what our opponents might do. Even if those opponents were a poor side in a poor run of form. (Jos v Millwall away...)

I was disappointed before the game when I saw Fletcher paired with Nuhiu but it turned out to be the perfect attack to expose Boro’s weaknesses.

Monk has consistently said in his pressers that he will make his teams aware of our opponents strengths but focus on us and what we need to do to win. I doff my cap in his general direction. Long may this positive approach continue.

I still want him to change his name to Harry. He's being bloody selfish