KUDOS TO MONK

I am one of those who questioned Monk’s appointment. I still have doubts about his ability long term to get us promoted. 

However, he deserves great credit for his tactics against Middlesbrough. It’s so refreshing to see a manager devise a positive gameplan to expose the oppositions weakness especially away from home. 

For too long we’ve had to sit and watch negative managers with negative tactics too concerned about what our opponents might do. Even if those opponents were a poor side in a poor run of form. (Jos v Millwall away...)

I was disappointed before the game when I saw Fletcher paired with Nuhiu but it turned out to be the perfect attack to expose Boro’s weaknesses.

Monk has consistently said in his pressers that he will make his teams aware of our opponents strengths but focus on us and what we need to do to win. I doff my cap in his general direction. Long may this positive approach continue.

• Like 5

27 minutes ago, Lawrie’s Left Peg said:

I am one of those who questioned Monk’s appointment. I still have doubts about his ability long term to get us promoted. 

However, he deserves great credit for his tactics against Middlesbrough. It’s so refreshing to see a manager devise a positive gameplan to expose the oppositions weakness especially away from home. 

For too long we’ve had to sit and watch negative managers with negative tactics too concerned about what our opponents might do. Even if those opponents were a poor side in a poor run of form. (Jos v Millwall away...)

I was disappointed before the game when I saw Fletcher paired with Nuhiu but it turned out to be the perfect attack to expose Boro’s weaknesses.

Monk has consistently said in his pressers that he will make his teams aware of our opponents strengths but focus on us and what we need to do to win. I doff my cap in his general direction. Long may this positive approach continue.

Absolutely, he got it spot on

35 minutes ago, Lawrie’s Left Peg said:

Why question his ability to get us promoted, he has made a very positive start and I see no reasons why this should not continue, good post otherwise. 

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, debram said:

Why question his ability to get us promoted, he has made a very positive start and I see no reasons why this should not continue, good post otherwise. 

I’m open minded and like all of us hope he will take us back to the promised land. My concern is that he has track record of starting well then tailing off. He’s fallen out with a few owners too and DC is reputed to be stubborn. Also he’s never been promoted as a manager. I’m not a hater by any means. Just have genuine questions. 

• Like 1

Boro excepted GM has done pretty well wherever he has been, playing some nice stuff to boot.

He said at Boro that he walked into a culture of very negative football and approach play which he struggled to change quickly. They'd had 3 years of Karanka.

Culture change in any organisation isn't something that you can do quickly AND take the people with you.

He also spent a lot of money and maybe found this can be as potentially disruptive as it can be positive. It is about getting the balance right. Maybe it is something he has learned from and improved upon as a result.

The fact that Bullen had helped pull us out of our negative patterns of play under Carlos 2 and then Jos have helped move things before Bruce started to move it forward and Bullen had another go at the start of the season.

Coming into a club that had built some positivity and whatever we thought had had the best start to a campaign in years means that Garry has a platform to build upon that was already rolling.

Hopefully we can continue the positive play and focus on us not the opposition as we did last week when we gave Fulham far too much respect.

Lessons learned and all that but I reckon we have a good fit with Monk. Let's hope he can also show some longevity at a club as well as some good football and results.

Good luck Garry

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, 33 said:

Boro excepted GM has done pretty well wherever he has been, playing some nice stuff to boot.

He said at Boro that he walked into a culture of very negative football and approach play which he struggled to change quickly. They'd had 3 years of Karanka.

Culture change in any organisation isn't something that you can do quickly AND take the people with you.

He also spent a lot of money and maybe found this can be as potentially disruptive as it can be positive. It is about getting the balance right. Maybe it is something he has learned from and improved upon as a result.

The fact that Bullen had helped pull us out of our negative patterns of play under Carlos 2 and then Jos have helped move things before Bruce started to move it forward and Bullen had another go at the start of the season.

Coming into a club that had built some positivity and whatever we thought had had the best start to a campaign in years means that Garry has a platform to build upon that was already rolling.

Hopefully we can continue the positive play and focus on us not the opposition as we did last week when we gave Fulham far too much respect.

Lessons learned and all that but I reckon we have a good fit with Monk. Let's hope he can also show some longevity at a club as well as some good football and results.

Good luck Garry

Great post. Thanks. Agree with everything you say, especially about change management

• Like 1

1 minute ago, 33 said:

The big problem in my mind is that he's never been anywhere long enough as a manager for anyone to know whether he can build on his early good work. There's no shortage of managers who have made a good start only to see it all slowly unravel.

But we've got him now, he's made a good start, and if yesterday is anything to go by he's got a bit of tactical nous.Keep up the good work Gary.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Roy Of The Roasters said:

The big problem in my mind is that he's never been anywhere long enough as a manager for anyone to know whether he can build on his early good work. There's no shortage of managers who have made a good start only to see it all slowly unravel.

But we've got him now, he's made a good start, and if yesterday is anything to go by he's got a bit of tactical nous.Keep up the good work Gary.

Agree. DC has shown patience with all his managers (except SG) and is reluctant to pull the trigger so I think GM will get time.

Monk said himself after yesterday’s game that his gameplans won’t always work but I give him credit for being brave and trying to win games rather than not lose games

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Roy Of The Roasters said:

Agree mate hence comment on longevity.

Hopefully he can see that the grass is green enough at S6 for him to want to build something special.

He showed a Swansea (which was probably a surprise to many) and at Leeds that he was able to deliver considerable on field improvement at both clubs.

Having had his fingers burnt at Boro and Brum, having a supportive Chairman may be just what he needs to decide to build something.

Watching Bruce get fired won't hurt either.

Here's hoping...

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Lawrie’s Left Peg said:

IMO if Fletcher can stay fit he is a class act in this division 

always thought he could have that ONE big season in him and be for us what Glen Murray was for Brighton when they went up

Hope it's this one, which coincidentally is his last year of contract (make of that what you will) but he's probably never been fitter  

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Worksop Wednesday said:

always thought he could have that ONE big season in him and be for us what Glen Murray was for Brighton when they went up

Hope it's this one, which coincidentally is his last year of contract (make of that what you will) but he's probably never been fitter  

Glen Murray comparison is a good one. Provides a focal point for attacks and weighs in with his fair share of goals. Proves you can get goals without being quick or tricky if the team plays to your strengths. Harris and Reach starting to provide the ammunition. 

1 hour ago, Roy Of The Roasters said:

I get the feeling from his interviews that he has a long term approach to improving the efficiency of individial and team performances as a whole. He has a definite philosophy that requires time to instill. He must be frustrated that he's never been able to get a team to reach its full potential because club politics have always cut his progress short. I reckon he's probably well aware that this is the time in his career where to be vindicated, he has to take his ideas to the next level. He must have been reassured by DC that he wouldn't be prevented from pressing ahead with his ideas due to internal interference, otherwise I doubt he'd have taken on the job. I get the impression that he's a perfectionist and that will give him an edge when games are tight. He's like a tactical gambler, analysing the odds and developing simple strategies to keep them in his favour. Maybe he won't be an advocate of flowing football, but if the players and fans see that his tactical approach is getting results, he'll be given the time and platform to take us up to the next level. I just hope that he doesn't have his head turned in the meantime. The Bruce saga has made us all a bit wary of a manager's long term loyalty.

• Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, Owl Stork said:

I get the feeling from his interviews that he has a long term approach to improving the efficiency of individial and team performances as a whole. He has a definite philosophy that requires time to instill. He must be frustrated that he's never been able to get a team to reach its full potential because club politics have always cut his progress short. I reckon he's probably well aware that this is the time in his career where to be vindicated, he has to take his ideas to the next level. He must have been reassured by DC that he wouldn't be prevented from pressing ahead with his ideas due to internal interference, otherwise I doubt he'd have taken on the job. I get the impression that he's a perfectionist and that will give him an edge when games are tight. He's like a tactical gambler, analysing the odds and developing simple strategies to keep them in his favour. Maybe he won't be an advocate of flowing football, but if the players and fans see that his tactical approach is getting results, he'll be given the time and platform to take us up to the next level. I just hope that he doesn't have his head turned in the meantime. The Bruce saga has made us all a bit wary of a manager's long term loyalty.

Great post. Lots of pertinent points. Think he will require patience if he is to follow the path you describe. Patience from Monk, the fans, the club and the media. If any of those factions turn we will be back on the manager merry go round again and I for one am tired of that.