I’m glad we’ve hired Monk instead of the Cowleys...

1 minute ago, SiJ said:

He did a pretty damn good job at Leeds. 

Took a mid-table team and nearly got them in the play offs. 

Boro...they seem to be in a permanent state of decline, though, yeah, it didn't work out. 

The Brum fans absolutely loved him from what I can tell. 

A damn good job at Leeds? They completely bottled it and somehow missed out on a play off spot that year. I remember how we all laughed and the ‘Leeds are falling apart’ song was born. Heck, even we made the play offs that year under Carlos, who for many on here is a failure as Wednesday manager. If Monk did a damn good job, Carlos must have been a genius. 

Look, Monk has age on his side and may not have peaked as a manager yet. Would much prefer it if his backroom staff came with him. Bullen is useful but Monk should have his own men. By all accounts he struggled at Boro without Clotet, and did decent-ish jobs at Brum and Leeds with him. Suggests he operates best with Clotet by his side. We shall see. 

Tbf, the biggest test for Monk, the Cowleys or whoever got the job will be trying to coax something extra or new from our more established players. 

There has been a worrying trend in the last few games of them reverting back to some bad old habits. 

Against Barnsley we played a high tempo pressing game which was great and yet we then go back to that passive, sideways, nothing nonsense against Luton, Preston and then there was that appalling display against QPR. 

Just now, SallyCinnamon said:

A damn good job at Leeds? They completely bottled it and somehow missed out on a play off spot that year. I remember how we all laughed and the ‘Leeds are falling apart’ song was born. Heck, even we made the play offs that year under Carlos, who for many on here is a failure as Wednesday manager. If Monk did a damn good job, Carlos must have been a genius. 

Look, Monk has age on his side and may not have peaked as a manager yet. Would much prefer it if his backroom staff came with him. Bullen is useful but Monk should have his own men. By all accounts he struggled at Boro without Clotet, and did decent-ish jobs at Brum and Leeds with him. Suggests he operates best with Clotet by his side. We shall see. 

Ok, he did a good job at Leeds. 

They went from mid-table to finishing just outside the play offs. That's a decent turnaround by most people's standards.

Carlos took a team from 6th and finished 5th. Not quite the same, so no idea about the "genius" remark. 

9 minutes ago, SiJ said:

Ok, he did a good job at Leeds. 

They went from mid-table to finishing just outside the play offs. That's a decent turnaround by most people's standards.

Carlos took a team from 6th and finished 5th. Not quite the same, so no idea about the "genius" remark. 

Well Carlos actually took a team from 6th to 4th achieving 7 more points, which is improvement. 

And prior to that he took a bang average Championship side from 13th to one game away from the Premier League. Admittedly he was given a good transfer budget, but so was Monk the year Leeds missed out. He signed the likes of Ayling. Hernandez, Jansson, Roofe and Bartley - who are all top end Championship players. 

So in my opinion, Monk should have done better that season. Worth noting Leeds were 11 points clear from 7th place in February that year. And they still missed out. 

Edited by SallyCinnamon

4 minutes ago, SallyCinnamon said:

Well Carlos actually took a team from 6th to 4th achieving 7 more points, which is improvement. 

And prior to that he took a bang average Championship side from 13th to one game away from the Premier League. Admittedly he was given a good transfer budget, but so was Monk the year Leeds missed out. He signed the likes of Ayling. Hernandez, Jansson, Roofe and Bartley - who are all top end Championship players. 

So in my opinion, Monk should have done better that season. Worth noting Leeds were 11 points clear from 7th place in February that year. And they still missed out. 

So Monk improved Leeds by signing good players; one of whom is arguably the best player in the division in Hernandez. 

Clearly, you are already making your mind up. 

Look forward to the rants after every defeat. 

Edited by SiJ

15 minutes ago, SiJ said:

Tbf, the biggest test for Monk, the Cowleys or whoever got the job will be trying to coax something extra or new from our more established players. 

There has been a worrying trend in the last few games of them reverting back to some bad old habits. 

Against Barnsley we played a high tempo pressing game which was great and yet we then go back to that passive, sideways, nothing nonsense against Luton, Preston and then there was that appalling display against QPR. 

Spot on.

5 minutes ago, SiJ said:

So Monk improved Leeds by signing good players; one of whom is arguably the best player in the division in Hernandez. 

Clearly, you are already making your mind up. 

Look forward to the rants after every defeat. 

He signed good players, but I don’t know if he recruited them. I don’t know what the set up at Leeds was. If he did, yes he can clearly spot a player. But my point was Leeds really shouldn’t have missed out on the Play Offs that year. 

So not sure how he did a damn good job. Steady job, but ultimately achieved nothing. 

10 minutes ago, SallyCinnamon said:

Aye, and didn't that turn out well,

Never turned up, shocking tactics and game plan for the biggest game we've had in years.

FFS give GM a chance before writing him off.

Just now, Ray Von shabba said:

Aye, and didn't that turn out well,

Never turned up, shocking tactics and game plan for the biggest game we've had in years.

FFS give GM a chance before writing him off.

Don’t think we were ever beating that Hull side to be honest. Put it this way, a future 80 million pound defender couldn’t even get a game that day.

Will give him a chance like I’ve said, but wouldn’t have been my pick. If Clotet and Beattie join him, I’ll be more optimistic. 

24 minutes ago, areNOTwhatTHEYseem said:

For all those who are so upset that we didn't employ Cowley, it might be worth reminding yourselves of the clamour from some quarters to give the top job to Paul Hurst not that long ago...

A very good reminder of ‘be careful what you wish for’. Cowley’s may go on to do well, though Hurst showed that it can have the opposite effect. Probably didn’t help going to Ipswich.

9 minutes ago, SwellOwl said:

A very good reminder of ‘be careful what you wish for’. Cowley’s may go on to do well, though Hurst showed that it can have the opposite effect. Probably didn’t help going to Ipswich.

Hang on, did Hurst actually achieve anything? Took Shrewsbury to a play off final that’s it. 

Comparing him to Cowley is ridiculous. Won the Conference title with Lincoln in his first season after 6 years out. Reaching the quarter final of the FA Cup knocking out both Brighton, Ipswich and Premier League Burnley. They also won the EFL trophy that year. In their first season back in the Football League made the play offs. Following season promoted to League One as champions - quite convincingly too.

That is some CV in my opinion. Yes it’s Lincoln but that is continued success and progression at a club who had really hit a low point. Galvanised it and left it in the League One play offs. Superb appointment by Huddersfield. 

Edited by SallyCinnamon

3 hours ago, SallyCinnamon said:

Leadership. It’s DC’s club and I’m grateful for the amount he’s invested and the time he’s spent. But we really do lack a leadership figure at the club. A statement like this goes along way. 

But it’s just words. Fluffy words. Let’s be reyt, It’s likely that Huddersfield wanted someone like Houghton as first choice. 

18 minutes ago, SallyCinnamon said:

He signed good players, but I don’t know if he recruited them. I don’t know what the set up at Leeds was. If he did, yes he can clearly spot a player. But my point was Leeds really shouldn’t have missed out on the Play Offs that year. 

So not sure how he did a damn good job. Steady job, but ultimately achieved nothing. 

They sold Cook for 6.3 million and using loans on signing spent new just over 1.3 million. 

He bought well @ Leeds .. and was sacked@ Boro after 6 months with them in 8th with 46% win ratio ... he’d just gone on a poor run and Pulis had just come available and Gibson got nervous!

We were on verge of sacking Carlos as well and Pulis was a possible option for us.

Monk Time @ Boro 

Another reason why Monk probably isn’t the best man to take Middlesbrough forward is that he hasn’t been bringing out the best in players like Aitor Karanka did. Players like Gibson, Ayala, Friend, Clayton, Leadbitter etc and if you look, there’s a recurring theme here. All of them are defensive minded players. Monk isn’t great with defensive players and when Boro were promoted under Karanka their success was built on a solid defensive unit. Two years ago they had the best defence in the league conceding just 31 goals. It’s not even mid-December and they’ve already conceded 20 goals while only scoring 25. That just isn’t good enough for a club who before a ball was kicked were looking at winning the title.

Monk signed lots of players for big money 50 million and they didn’t perform then you put the above on top you can understand why they jumped for Pulis

It is quite normal to compare a new manager to his predecessors, but some are holding him under the shadow of those who haven't managed us - the Cowley brothers.

For me, it doesn't matter if we approached Lincoln or not, met their release clause or not  nor if we offered terms, offered too little money or control, or whether we never spoke at all. Garry Monk is OUR manager, and I dont see how it matters what other managers may or may not do elsewhere. They could have flopped here regardless of any success or not elsewhere; regardless of whether they beat us or not.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, SallyCinnamon said:

Hang on, did Hurst actually achieve anything? Took Shrewsbury to a play off final that’s it. 

Comparing him to Cowley is ridiculous. Won the Conference title with Lincoln in his first season after 6 years out. Reaching the quarter final of the FA Cup knocking out both Brighton, Ipswich and Premier League Burnley. They also won the EFL trophy that year. In their first season back in the Football League made the play offs. Following season promoted to League One as champions - quite convincingly too.

That is some CV in my opinion. Yes it’s Lincoln but that is continued success and progression at a club who had really hit a low point. Galvanised it and left it in the League One play offs. Superb appointment by Huddersfield. 

I wasn’t comparing success, only making a comparison of a bright and upcoming Manager linked to bigger jobs. 

Cowley’s record is impressive, however, it doesn’t always guarantee success is the point I am making. Hurst did really well to get Shrewsbury to playoff final by the way. 

I am happy we do have Monk as his experience is needed for this squad of players right now. Cowley could be a good fit for Hudds as they need to re-build and wipe the slate clean. Interesting to see how they both progress this season.

9 hours ago, SallyCinnamon said:

I am pretty certain he recruited Hernandez. Knew him from the Swansea days.