Supporter information

OK.  So it's just over 24 hours to the QPR game after which the temporary closure of Penistone Road will come into effect for the first time.

Has anyone (the club, SAG, the council, SYP) told us just exactly where the road closure will start and end, or exactly what the "short" diversions will be.

Outbound, Parkside Road, Catchbar Lane, Leppings Lane?

Oh wait, won't that inconvenience the thousands of away supporters exiting onto Leppings Lane? and is Leppings Lane closed to traffic after the match?

Inbound, Herries road/Herries Road South, but doesn't Herries Road South meet Penistone Road bang opposite the ground?

What could possibly go wrong.:wacko:

Only Sheffield Council, SAG, SYP, together, could try to solve one "perceived" problem and in doing so cause so many more.

I predict absolute CHAOS after the game tomorrow with traffic problems and gridlock around the ground for at least a couple of hours.

• Like 1

Why do they feel the need to close ALL lanes of Penistone Road? Because there are now extra fans leaving the ground by that route.

Why are extra fans leaving by that route? Because SAG in their ivory tower have decreed that Leppings Lane is off limits due to imagined conflicts between home and away support (even when there a just a few away supporters).

Where is the hard evidence to support these imagined conflicts? Where are the official stats showing arrests/assaults in that specific area?  Why is there no proportionality shown to cater for different risk games?

This is a domino effect solely fuelled by SAG.  No other ground in the country has such draconian and punitive measures in place.

This is F++kwittery of the very highest order.  SAG you and only you have created these problems.  Let’s hope at some stage in the future you are held to account as the group of incompetent individuals you undoubtedly are.  Shame on you.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, oldtawnyowl said:

OK.  So it's just over 24 hours to the QPR game after which the temporary closure of Penistone Road will come into effect for the first time.

Has anyone (the club, SAG, the council, SYP) told us just exactly where the road closure will start and end, or exactly what the "short" diversions will be.

Outbound, Parkside Road, Catchbar Lane, Leppings Lane?

Oh wait, won't that inconvenience the thousands of away supporters exiting onto Leppings Lane? and is Leppings Lane closed to traffic after the match?

Inbound, Herries road/Herries Road South, but doesn't Herries Road South meet Penistone Road bang opposite the ground?

What could possibly go wrong.:wacko:

Only Sheffield Council, SAG, SYP, together, could try to solve one "perceived" problem and in doing so cause so many more.

I predict absolute CHAOS after the game tomorrow with traffic problems and gridlock around the ground for at least a couple of hours.

Leppings Lane is shut.

There is a filter lane for HRS.

Are people just being awkward for the sake of it.

There will be minimal disruption and the roads will be clear by 5.30pm latest.

We'd all like the needless prohibition notice to be lifted.

This is the best possible compromise until that happens.

Look tomorrow when Sheffield CC and SYP make a complete an utter balls up of the planning and management of it, it causes total grid lock for most of North Sheffield.

Come the next game Penistone road will not be shut.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Sham67 said:

Leppings Lane is shut.

If game finishes on time 4.45 to 4.50pm with an attendance of 22,500 expected, majority of fans should be well away from Penistone Road by 5.15.

3 hours ago, Sham67 said:

Leppings Lane is shut.

Stop talking sense and have a meltdown instead. 

On Wednesday night we were forced to walk the length of the stadium to reach an away end in a dead end car park.  We then had to walk back past the home stands to get back to the only exit.  Nobody died, there was no trouble and there were 2500 Wednesday fans there. 

Why oh WHY do we keep having to persist with this lunacy when there is ample precedent from just about every stadium in the country.  I really hope we are fighting this behind the scenes and not just trying to find work arounds.

H&S is the absolute most important aspect in all this, but the risk assessment is clearly flawed if it doesn't take in to account the volume and rivalry of the opposition fans in the away end.

Just not bothered...

my own situation must be mirrored by quite a number of people. i am able only to walk with the aid of two sticks. My daughter brings me to the game, leaves and goes her own way, then returns in time to pick me up after the game. This means that she will have to approach the ground, usually to around the Bridge exit, from where we make our way towards Rivelin and thence Buxton. If traffic along penistone Road is diverted, and P.R.  closed, how willshe bbe able to do this?

5 minutes ago, Buxtongent said:

my own situation must be mirrored by quite a number of people. i am able only to walk with the aid of two sticks. My daughter brings me to the game, leaves and goes her own way, then returns in time to pick me up after the game. This means that she will have to approach the ground, usually to around the Bridge exit, from where we make our way towards Rivelin and thence Buxton. If traffic along penistone Road is diverted, and P.R.  closed, how willshe bbe able to do this?

Hi Buxton.     Just looked at the plan for the road closure on th OS. It appears that the only section of Penistone Road that is to be closed is that between Herries Road and Herries Road South, so Parkside Road will be open and your daughter should have no problems.

In fact you should be almost home in Buxton by the time we get out of the old Wednesdayite car park.lol

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, oldtawnyowl said:

Hi Buxton.     Just looked at the plan for the road closure on th OS. It appears that the only section of Penistone Road that is to be closed is that between Herries Road and Herries Road South, so Parkside Road will be open and your daughter should have no problems.

In fact you should be almost home in Buxton by the time we get out of the old Wednesdayite car park.lol

Ditto.

Just to say if you normally park on the pavement on Penistone Road on the old Wednesdayite car park side I suggest think again. Cones were out and a board saying they will be towing away cars if you do

On 30/08/2019 at 10:27, latemodelchild said:

Is it to keep home and away fans separate? Or is it cos there are too many fans in that area at one time? In fact, why do we have these measures in place? What's the actual reason? 

Because SYP lost control after the derby fixture. They then chose to blame the club for the amount of people leaving at that end. So, stop us leaving that way. SYP don’t have to work or organise themselves properly & all us home fans have to leave another inconvenient way. Plain daft.

26 minutes ago, The only way is S6 said:

Because SYP lost control after the derby fixture. They then chose to blame the club for the amount of people leaving at that end. So, stop us leaving that way. SYP don’t have to work or organise themselves properly & all us home fans have to leave another inconvenient way. Plain daft.

Isn't the cost of policing outside the ground solely a SYP cost and not something the club pays for? Seems to me SYP reducing their overtime costs by having just a handful of officers around instead of 100s  probably has some bearing on how supporters exit. There definitely isn't any concerns about all the extra supporters exiting over the bridge from the south, how densely they are packed together going up the steps or indeed the extra weight the bridge has to bear, given its unsuitable to bear the weight of a motor vehicle.

Not sure what will happen with the tow away on Herries Road South. Cars all parked on the pavement so going to be interesting to see what they do. Managed to get parked on Herries Road so awaiting the double whammy of getting a ticket or my car done in :rolleyes:

1 hour ago, matty1968 said:

Isn't the cost of policing outside the ground solely a SYP cost and not something the club pays for? Seems to me SYP reducing their overtime costs by having just a handful of officers around instead of 100s  probably has some bearing on how supporters exit. There definitely isn't any concerns about all the extra supporters exiting over the bridge from the south, how densely they are packed together going up the steps or indeed the extra weight the bridge has to bear, given its unsuitable to bear the weight of a motor vehicle.

There’s no need for any SYP at all even when we were all leaving that way. In 90% of the games, everyone just goes home including away fans. Leeds & pigs clearly different but only half an issue this season. Even with Newcastle & Villa recently, everyone left together. SYP lost control after the derby & blamed the club imo.