A Nightmare on Jihadi John Street

darra

7 minutes ago, Django said:

I’m confused

Obviously the top 4 qualify for the champions league. 5th Europa league

League cup gets a place but Man City won it and won’t need it so I thought that goes to 7th

If Chelsea win the FA cup then their place will go to 8th? 

You were correct up to that point but then instead of adding 1 place for Man City winning the League Cup for some reason you went from 5th to 7th! 

If Chelsea win the FA Cup the Europa League place will go to 7th in the league - which wont be our never traveled neighbours.  

2 minutes ago, hirstyboywonder said:

You were correct up to that point but then instead of adding 1 place for Man City winning the League Cup for some reason you went from 5th to 7th! 

If Chelsea win the FA Cup the Europa League place will go to 7th in the league - which wont be our never traveled neighbours.  

Yeah I really am confused

So city’s league cup place goes to 6th

If Chelsea win the FA cup that goes to 7th

What happens if Man Utd or wolves win the Europa league?

6 minutes ago, nickswfc said:

So think it requires all the following for them to get Europe now.

Neither Arsenal or Burnley overtake them in the league 

Arsenal not to win FA Cup

Wolves to win Europa (or Man Utd if they finish outside top 4)

None of this will get the in mate, their goose is well and truly cooked I'm afraid.

1 minute ago, Django said:

Yeah I really am confused

So city’s league cup place goes to 6th

If Chelsea win the FA cup that goes to 7th

What happens if Man Utd or wolves win the Europa league?

Something like this https://www.skysports.com/football/news/11661/12017243/champions-league-and-europa-league-qualification-who-can-make-it

Takes a bit of reading but all you need to do is read the bit which says,

But Thursday's defeat at Leicester was followed by another in Monday's must-win clash at home to Everton, as the Blades' hopes of qualifying for Europe for the first time in their history came to an end.

Sheffield United are still in with a slim chance of finishing seventh, but if Wolves beat Crystal Palace on Monday the Blades will not be able to finish any higher than their current position, just outside the European places.

Game over.

16 minutes ago, Django said:

I’m confused

Obviously the top 4 qualify for the champions league. 5th Europa league

League cup gets a place but Man City won it and won’t need it so I thought that goes to 7th

If Chelsea win the FA cup then their place will go to 8th? 

8 teams can't get into Europe from 1 country. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, kirksandallowl said:

Sounds like he’s not happy with next season’s budget 

Likes spitting the dummy in defeat doesn't he - says the team is way ahead of the club but the team needs lots of better players.

8 minutes ago, Django said:

So dem blades best season in half a century, can’t even top our 7th place finish under David Pleat in 1997

:duntmatter:

It has been described by some of their fans as 'their best ever season'.

As things stand they have won one more game than we did under Danny Wilson in 1998-99. 

Edited by Guest

1 minute ago, belfast owl lad said:

I wish we had just finished the season in their position.

Of course, we all do. Think you are missing the point of this thread though.

23 minutes ago, hirstyboywonder said:

It has been described by some of their fans as 'their best ever season'.

As things stand they have won one more game than we did under Danny Wilson in 1998-99. 

They've also scored as many goals as we did when we got relegated in 99/00. It's just a shame they've conceded about half as many!

Edited by Sova

14 minutes ago, Sova said:

They've also scored as many goals as we did when we got relegated in 99/00. It's just a shame they've conceded about half as many!

Remember how bad we were in front of goal that season, De Bilde as the main man was abysmal. Just goes to show how they have been reliant on their defence and Man Utd's goalkeeper.

Comes to something if their fans have only seen their team score on average 1 goal per game for the entire season and yet some think it is their best season ever. Can't have been that exciting to watch.

Their best season ever? 

I suppose by modern day standards it is, but still. 

I suppose when you are in the Prem in 2020 the hype machine goes a bit into overdrive. I've read a few articles and some pundits declaring them as the greatest promoted side of all time...which is flipping hilarious when you actually sit down and think about it. They're not even the greatest promoted side of the Premier League era, let alone of all time...but then we are in 2020, so every opinion has to be some form of extreme. 

They're a good side, workmanlike, very well organised and have flashes of quality. And yes, I would love for us to be in their position, but we are not so tough titties...but I would question what they can realistically hope to achieve in the next few seasons, outside of doing a Stoke/West Brom/Bournemouth. Can they really kick on and get to that next level? I can't think they'll have many better opportunities than this one to get European football. 

Anyway, I strongly suspect those last two post-match interviews were not overly subtle ways of him trying to push pressure on the club hierarchy. 

Against Leicester they were a bunch of League One/Championship players and tonight they have massively overachieved and the club needs to catch up or something. 

He's done similar before. 

Wouldn't surprise me if he signs another brand new deal in the summer. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, SiJ said:

Their best season ever? 

I suppose when you are in the Prem in 2020 the hype machine goes a bit into overdrive. I've read a few articles and some pundits declaring them as the greatest promoted side of all time...which is flipping hilarious when you actually sit down and think about it. They're not even the greatest promoted side of the Premier League era, let alone of all time...but then we are in 2020, so every opinion has to be some form of extreme. 

They're a good side, workmanlike, very well organised and have flashes of quality. And yes, I would love for us to be in their position, but we are not so tough titties...but I would question what they can realistically hope to achieve in the next few seasons, outside of doing a Stoke/West Brom/Bournemouth. Can they really kick on and get to that next level? I can't think they'll have many better opportunities than this one to get European football. 

Cant' believe that has been said although as you say everything in the modern day has to be about hyping up the here and now and the past is a forgotten inferior place.

Ipswich Town finished 5th in their first season in the top flight in 2001 and qualified for Europe.

They got relegated in 2002.

12 minutes ago, SiJ said:

Their best season ever? 

I remember when a newly promoted side from Sheffield was still in contention for winning the top flight with two games to go. They finished 3rd having amassed 75 points. 

That was 1 season before the Premier League brought to us by Sky started though so probably doesn't count as it is from an era that simply didn't exist in football terms. 

Edited by Guest