Michael Hector.

Just now, Morepork said:

Hector, outstanding defender in this league, great character on and off the pitch, superb fit for us. Our failure to sign him hammers home the true cost of our previous recruitment and financial failings.......FFP truly is the gift that keeps on giving.

As hard as it is to see us fail to sign a player of quality and one we know fits we simply have to move on and look forward. Take the positives from this window, there are plenty and be grateful that finally the penny seems to have dropped in terms of recruitment. 

But hopefully now, judging off this seasons signings, signing good frees, good loans and taking other teams good players who have 1 year left for small fees means we won’t end up in the position we was before. You only have to look to Norwich and United last season to see money doesn’t get you out this division. 

Just now, Dandrewchaz said:

Fulhams interest and potential move created a mini bidding war which Chelsea were hoping to profit from. We've been smart and not gone above a reasonable figure. 

SSN said tonight that he was signing for Fulham, but the deal couldnt be completed until Sessegon signed for Spurs . That deal wasnt completed it time for Hector to sign for Fulham before the deadline. 

Just now, Morepork said:

Hector, outstanding defender in this league, great character on and off the pitch, superb fit for us. Our failure to sign him hammers home the true cost of our previous recruitment and financial failings.......FFP truly is the gift that keeps on giving.

As hard as it is to see us fail to sign a player of quality and one we know fits we simply have to move on and look forward. Take the positives from this window, there are plenty and be grateful that finally the penny seems to have dropped in terms of recruitment. 

Not sure I agree, I think it shows we have learnt from our past brushes with FFP, not that its still effecting us. I am pretty sure we could afford the money, but its a very risky move and makes little business sense. He will be free in a year and hes had one good season (not saying more won't come). Defo a pity a deal couldn't be done for the lad but I think we need some long term perspective, 5m is a big outlay. If DC spent like crazy again and we didn't go up we would be back to square one. I personally see the activity from us in this window as a brilliant sign for a positive future. 

Chelsea have now got a player on their books for another year that they have to pay £25k per week. In the new year they might shift him out for a much reduced fee £1m maybe, not much more. At least it will cover his wages and leave a bit of profit.

If they wanted to do the player a favour (they won't) they could cancel his contract and let him move as a free agent. I think he'd go to Fulham if that happened. Most fans here loved the guy but it's over and we need to move on.

6 minutes ago, Badger57 said:

I got ripped for thinking he wasn't as good as other Wednesday fans did. Two solid defenders like what Brighton had is better than hit and miss defenders like Hector. 

Maybe but we have to go on the here and now and there was nothing hit and miss about him last season.

10 minutes ago, S36 OWL said:

SSN said tonight that he was signing for Fulham, but the deal couldnt be completed until Sessegon signed for Spurs . That deal wasnt completed it time for Hector to sign for Fulham before the deadline. 

I guess this must be right but it doesn’t make sense to me.

The deal could have been done and dusted, medical taken and passed , paperwork awaiting signatures to be completed and sent to league once the Ssenegon deal completed. Would have taken a few minutes to complete.

1 minute ago, oldishowl said:

I guess this must be right but it doesn’t make sense to me.

The deal could have been done and dusted, medical taken and passed , paperwork awaiting signatures to be completed and sent to league once the Ssenegon deal completed. Would have taken a few minutes to complete.

Sky bloke in studio said that the EFL wouldnt sanction  the Hector deal until sessnyon had gone due to FFP , 

24 minutes ago, Morepork said:

Or maybe the club has learned not to overpay for players? And £5m is overpaying for Hector - as much as I like him.

It's a shame we couldn't get him, but glad to see we're not paying over the odds for players anymore (good deal for Luongo too), we can't afford to do that with FFP.

But smart investment, selling players at the right time, and using the money to strengthen multiple positions should see us competing and also operating in a much a more sustainable fashion.

We should have sold FF when he had the strop, and used the money to inject some much needed pace.

1 minute ago, S36 OWL said:

Sky bloke in studio said that the EFL wouldnt sanction  the Hector deal until sessnyon had gone due to FFP , 

Don’t know what that means.

Thought EFL sanctioned the deal once they got the paperwork not before. If Fulham has done everything ready to send then don’t see an issue.

The thing is Chelsea probably insisted on a 5 million fee from us because they had another club willing to pay it.

So Fulham probably inflated the price, took away any negotiating position we had and then didn’t deliver.

Us, Chelsea and Hector should be very upset with them.

19 minutes ago, prowl said:

Chelsea have now got a player on their books for another year that they have to pay £25k per week. In the new year they might shift him out for a much reduced fee £1m maybe, not much more. At least it will cover his wages and leave a bit of profit.

If they wanted to do the player a favour (they won't) they could cancel his contract and let him move as a free agent. I think he'd go to Fulham if that happened. Most fans here loved the guy but it's over and we need to move on.

Probably going to Fulham in January according to one report. It will be interesting to see the fee being asked which I guess will be 2 million or more. Re cancelling his contract I think he has to become a free agent whilst the transfer window is still open for him to sign after the window has closed. 

Edited by Beauchief Owl

7 minutes ago, oldishowl said:

Don’t know what that means.

Thought EFL sanctioned the deal once they got the paperwork not before. If Fulham has done everything ready to send then don’t see an issue.

The thing is Chelsea probably insisted on a 5 million fee from us because they had another club willing to pay it.

So Fulham probably inflated the price, took away any negotiating position we had and then didn’t deliver.

Us, Chelsea and Hector should be very upset with them.

Why Chelsea? If that’s what they’ve done then that’s the risk of being greedy.

9 minutes ago, Beauchief Owl said:

Probably going to Fulham in January according to one report. It will be interesting to see the fee being asked which I guess will be 2 million or more. Re cancelling his contract I think he has to become a free agent whilst the transfer window is still open for him to sign after the window has closed. 

I wasn't aware of that. Something I've not come across before. As I said I don't think Chelsea would do it anyway and I don't think we will see him back here now.

Shame really, he was better here than he's ever been before. If he goes to Fulham the chemistry might not work. Whatever happens good luck to big Hec, he gave us some good performances. 

Best wishes big guy.

12 minutes ago, A12owl said:

Hector will now be stuck at Chelsea with no game time. He should have asked for a transfer which could have forced their hand. 

They won't be bothered as he has NEVER figured in their plans it seems. 

If Luiz  was not in first 4 or 5 for selection then Hector would have been about 35th choice. Daft that they didn't let him go either on loan or permanent. 

Indeed, and Luiz was sold for all of £8M. He may not be everyone's cup of tea but that's an experienced Brazil international who has won multiple honours, competing at the highest level for years. 

Some think we should have paid £5M for a defender from the same team whose CV amounts to one good season in the 2nd division.