Michael Hector.

Just now, SiJ said:

Tbf, some people seem to think Bates is class.

Let's wait and see...

Yeah, Hull thought Hector was crap before we signed him anyway. Sometimes players fit at different clubs and I genuinely think we have a much better environment within the squad than we've had for years. That alone gives players the chance to thrive. 

2 minutes ago, TheEnchanter said:

Yeah, Hull thought Hector was crap before we signed him anyway. Sometimes players fit at different clubs and I genuinely think we have a much better environment within the squad than we've had for years. That alone gives players the chance to thrive. 

There is a good feel to this squad now. 

1 minute ago, SiJ said:

Worth remembering that Hull fans though Hector was the sh*ts when we signed him...

Difference is we know what he can do here. seen it first hand. 

With Webster going for 24m I can see why Chelsea wanted the fee they wanted.  

Cant blame them its the same as us with Rhodes and Norwich. Dont pay the money dont get the player. Let's hope we dont live to regret not paying the extra million we were probably haggling over. 

Borner has looked good so far so it may work in our favour.

43 minutes ago, swfc-dan said:

If that report is true then Spurs are a disgrace for leaving the transfer so late, that Fulham couldn't use the money on a replacement.

PL teams yet again doing what they want without a care. 

Either way we have to accept Hector may not come in Jan or end of season, so keep looking at other options.

We have enough for now with young master Bates, though wouldn't want an early injury in def.

It's a complete red herring!

FFP for this season has only just started so why are they in trouble already.

Plus they could have had all the paperwork done and dusted ready to go as soon as the Sessignon transfer was confirmed. It takes seconds these days with email etc.

It's as big a load of cobblers as Kluivert signing for us, it really is!

1 minute ago, Utah Owl said:

It's a complete red herring!

FFP for this season has only just started so why are they in trouble already.

Plus they could have had all the paperwork done and dusted ready to go as soon as the Sessignon transfer was confirmed. It takes seconds these days with email etc.

It's as big a load of cobblers as Kluivert signing for us, it really is!

They spent it all in the prem.

10 minutes ago, TheEnchanter said:

The sad thing is this is the rare occasion that we know our £5M would be well spent if you know what I mean. Its the poo we've spent on in the past that has put us in the negative position that's meant we can't take advantage of an opportunity to sign Hector. A player that was a sensation for us and a hit with the other players too. 

It is what it is, I just hope Bates isn't as poo as Hamburg think he is. If he's half decent he could be worth millions at this level with his age. 

Sorry mate but we know nothing of the sort. He could come in and then do have a career ending injury first game! 

You never know with players no matter how good they are, fate can always intervene.

Just think Paul Warhurst. Got crocked shortly after leaving us and was never the same again, but hadn't had a problem up to that point and was one of the most exciting players in the country. Or even DEH before and after Steve Bould.

Yep it's a pity, but absolutely no guarantees he'd still be the same player. He did seem to fit in well but 5 million in his last year is beyond a scandal and I'm thankful it appears we've learned lessons. At the end of the day, he could be playing for the pigs next season, how bad would that feel?

We move on knowing it's been a good window for us.

14 minutes ago, TheEnchanter said:

The sad thing is this is the rare occasion that we know our £5M would be well spent if you know what I mean. Its the poo we've spent on in the past that has put us in the negative position that's meant we can't take advantage of an opportunity to sign Hector. A player that was a sensation for us and a hit with the other players too. 

It is what it is, I just hope Bates isn't as poo as Hamburg think he is. If he's half decent he could be worth millions at this level with his age. 

'A sensation'!!!!, blimey I think thats a bit strong, he looked solid enough and was an improvement on the defensive options we had before he arrived. He's a solid championship defender, but he was error prone at times and has a rick in there now and again, he's hardly a VVD or Laporte is he?, he's decent, but a sensation!!?, really?

hector.PNG.daa1f19629721fc7fe426615961a8198.PNG

On 20/04/2019 at 07:48, GerOwl said:

I think someone else will come in for him. One of the teams that are being relegated or a parachute payment one. Fulham would probably be a good call. London club etc. Not sure we can afford him to be fair. 

30 minutes ago, Wakefield owl said:

Did we get offers for him? Also he did play some games for us, Hector has never been anywhere need the Chelsea first team.

Yes, during the Jan transfer window, but it didn't match Chansiri's valuation believe it or not. 

6 minutes ago, tommycockles said:

'A sensation'!!!!, blimey I think thats a bit strong, he looked solid enough and was an improvement on the defensive options we had before he arrived. He's a solid championship defender, but he was error prone at times and has a rick in there now and again, he's hardly a VVD or Laporte is he?, he's decent, but a sensation!!?, really?

I think in the Championship for a club in an embargo, with Jos in charge and suddenly with relegation fears he was pretty impressive. I don't think any Championship defender is without mistakes unless they are very special. 

Be interesting if Bates turns out to be from the Van Aken school of defending because we'll be having to spend the money on a defender anyway then. I'm just saying that people can swipe away the fact that we haven't signed Hector but it'll probably be the same people throughout the season that will be myth'd about us not being quite good enough. Happy to be proven wrong but I'm not thrilled about what I've read about Bates. 

• Haha 1

If we had Hector now, as in we signed him last year we would not accept 5m for Hector! So why not buy him at that price?

We SOLD Joao for 5m

Hector is a much better player, and improves our 1st team

We should have paid a 'premium' to get a player we know does the goods

Massive error from the club

What does it matter about how long was left on his contract at Chelsea to us in our buying position? if he had 7 years on the contract would 5m be acceptable? 

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, TheEnchanter said:

I think in the Championship for a club in an embargo, with Jos in charge and suddenly with relegation fears he was pretty impressive. I don't think any Championship defender is without mistakes unless they are very special. 

Be interesting if Bates turns out to be from the Van Aken school of defending because we'll be having to spend the money on a defender anyway then. I'm just saying that people can swipe away the fact that we haven't signed Hector but it'll probably be the same people throughout the season that will be myth'd about us not being quite good enough. Happy to be proven wrong but I'm not thrilled about what I've read about Bates. 

Well pretty impressive seems a far cry from 'a sensation'!!

I dont disagree he was solid enough, and if he'd come back we'd have an idea what we were getting, which we dont with Bates, or indeed really with Borner yet. I doubt many were too thrilled when we originally signed Hector, he'd had numerous loans, and plenty of opposition fans were dismissive, so lets not judge Bates til he's had the same chance as Hector was given, he could be a belter!!!

2 minutes ago, Ellis Rimmer said:

If we had Hector now, as in we signed him last year we would not accept 5m for Hector! So why not buy him at that price?

We SOLD Joao for 5m

Hector is a much better player, and improves our 1st team

We should have paid a 'premium' to get a player we know does the goods

Massive error from the club

What does it matter about how long was left on his contract at Chelsea to us in our buying position? if he had 7 years on the contract would 5m be acceptable? 

Because signing hector would leave is short elsewhere...

we already have Lees Borner Iorfa Thorniley Van Aken (Bates) who can all play there. Plus Hutchinson. 

Would of been a braindead thing to do blow all our budget on him.