Forestieri

Just now, domSWFC said:

So you think Palmer or Fox offer us more than Forestieri? 

What?

Didn't realise Nando is now playing at fullback. 

No, I think we have a system 4-3-3 which is suiting us right now and Nando is more than suited to playing in a front three, however; he has to earn his place in the starting XI. 

3 minutes ago, SiJ said:

So you'd change the entire system just to fit him in? 

Move Harris into a wingback role which he probably can't do. 

Righto. 

I've been a big advocate of 4-3-3 for a long time now but we should be good enough and have the flexibility to be able to change systems (even during a match).

We've played enough 3-5-2 under Jos to be able to do it.

I wouldn't have Harris at wing back tho!

Playing as an inside forward on either wing (although ideally the left) as part of a 4-3-3 would give him the space he needs, especially if we have a full back behind him who can provide width. Looks like Reach and Harris have the shirt on merit right now — and FF is probably going to be banned — but he’s not a bad option to have

Just now, York_Owl said:

I've been a big advocate of 4-3-3 for a long time now but we should be good enough and have the flexibility to be able to change systems (even during a match).

We've played enough 3-5-2 under Jos to be able to do it.

I wouldn't have Harris at wing back tho!

Nothing wrong with being flexible, but I'm not on board with changing a whole system to accomodate one person. 

2 minutes ago, gurujuan said:

It’s interesting, based on Saturday’s performance, and the previous friendlies, three in midfield has to be the way forward. That leaves us with a conundrum further forward.  Fletcher flanked by two wingers, worked well on Saturday, but for it to work on a regular basis, we need to get our wide players nearer to the centre forward. I have to say Fletcher was excellent on Saturday, but he’s often fighting a one man battle.  Do either of Saturday’s wiremen have the ability to get in alongside Fletcher when the ball is on the other flank?  That’s the big issue for me, Reach in particular, was noticeably poor at doing that on Saturday.  Certainly Forestieri would be much better at arriving in the box to support the target man. 

How about the thought of Forestieri being one of the wide men at home, when the onus is on us to attack and open the play, and he sits on the bench away from home when we need to be more defensive - ready to come on if we are needing to chase a goal?

Wonder if Forestieri would be happy with that.

Just now, SiJ said:

Nothing wrong with being flexible, but I'm not on board with changing a whole system to accomodate one person. 

Very true and, ironically, uneccessary in Forestieri's case.  He's such a good player who can play a number of positions in a number of different systems.

Totally understand us playing Reach, Harris and Fletcher. 

But I think we need to get Forestieri in there - one way or another.

Teams pap their pants against him and target him, they put 2 players on him - it immediately unsettles them. We open up other areas of the park when they start to worry about him. 

Guest gizowl
10 minutes ago, Owling said:

Vastly overrated, plus he's a real life soap opera., 

:duntmatter::tango::ghoulguy:like a good joke, thats quite funny. 

1 minute ago, oh_weds_we_love_you said:

How about the thought of Forestieri being one of the wide men at home, when the onus is on us to attack and open the play, and he sits on the bench away from home when we need to be more defensive - ready to come on if we are needing to chase a goal?

It could work easily. Harris and FF on either wings. Problem then is, where does Reach go? He can play centrally for sure, but then that means dropping either Bannan or Lee. Of course, Lee may not be available every week so could solve itself on some occasions.

1 minute ago, oh_weds_we_love_you said:

Maybe, but either way, he has to fight his way into the side. As impressive as we were on Saturday though, not being able to get near enough to Fletcher will cost us goals

3 minutes ago, SiJ said:

What?

Didn't realise Nando is now playing at fullback. 

No, I think we have a system 4-3-3 which is suiting us right now and Nando is more than suited to playing in a front three, however; he has to earn his place in the starting XI. 

Agree, on the face of it a front 3 should be tailor made for FF in the wide role. 

Difficult to dislodge Harris and Reach though, although I could see Reach dropping into the midfield 3 if any of the current incumbants arent available 

I wouldn't call Nando overrated. 

In terms of pure talent, he's up there with the best in the division. 

The problem has been that, for whatever reason, we've barely seen it over the last few years. 

That's not to say he can't be a hugely important player for us this season. He's got it in him to make the difference. 

Guest gizowl
1 minute ago, Birley Owl 1867 said:

It could work easily. Harris and FF on either wings. Problem then is, where does Reach go? He can play centrally for sure, but then that means dropping either Bannan or Lee. Of course, Lee may not be available every week so could solve itself on some occasions.

Reach was poor on Saturday, FF would have been more effective in that role. 

3 minutes ago, oh_weds_we_love_you said:

Ironically, that's not dissimilar to how Carlos used to play him.  Wide left in a more attacking 4-4-2 at home and up front in a more defensive 4-4-2 away from home.

Guest domSWFC
1 minute ago, pazowl55 said:

Who is managing that team. 

Kevin Keegan.

lol

It's how I set up on FIFA and we've won the Champions League for the last 3 seasons. 

2 minutes ago, Birley Owl 1867 said:

Absolutely it could work, but if there is a choice between Forestieri and Reach for the wide position, I reckon a large percentage would choose Reach.

Reach can play central and but then we start doing down a route of not playing players in their most effective positions.

I'm sure as a manager it's a good decision to have to make!