Forestieri

1 minute ago, DIPPS_S.W.F.C said:

Most skillful player we have,by far...Match winner on his own....Simple....UTO FTFB...

You could argue that Reach and Joao are also match winners. And after Saturday you could probably add Harris aswell.

Something to consider, although it worked fine on Saturday, the link up between Palmer and Harris, both could play on the right. 

Yes Harris scored his goal by cutting in from the left, but he’s hardly a prolific goal scorer, so it might benefit his crossing ability to play on the right.  I thought his crossing was just about average, but his main asset was his ability to counter attack at speed 

I'm guessing his head isn't in the right place at the minute. Danger is that we play him and the opposition try to wind him up which let's face it isn't difficult and he ends up in more trouble.

Just a polite reminder for everyone saying that "Forestieri is the sort of player you change formation to accommodate for" of his stats since January 1st 2018 (Over one and a half years ago):

Played: 34 (started 20)   [total Wednesday games since then: 68]

Scored: 11

Assists: 2

Just another polite reminder of how a promoted side (Watford) utilised him when they got promoted:

Played: 24 (started 10)

Scored: 5

Assists: 6

So for those saying we should bend over backwards and change our shape to accommodate a player that in over a year and a half has only been available for 50% of our games, started less than a third of our games, averages a goal every three games, and was a "bit part" player for a club that wants to get promoted......... are you sure?

Edited by StudentOwl

30 minutes ago, York_Owl said:

He's ideally suited to the 4-3-3 system, like a lot of players in our squad.

His role would be on the left of the front three.

Exactly and we’ve been saying this for a while. Very interesting that Bullen is going with this system when he has all his players available. This should be our default system this season.

1 minute ago, Bouncing Owl said:

Exactly and we’ve been saying this for a while. Very interesting that Bullen is going with this system when he has all his players available. This should be our default system this season.

Yep this goes back to Carlos's first season (if not before).

We need to deine our own playing style and, like you say, we should base it around a 4-3-3.

58 minutes ago, TodwickOwl said:

Forgetting the FA issues - what is his role now within the current starting 11? 

Bullen doesn't favour him enough to warrant a start - is he going to be on the bench for the foreseeable? 

Personally, I don't see how we can leave a player of his quality out. Once he gets going, he is still one of the best players in this division and we really need him to step up to the mark. Watching Hernandez yesterday for Leeds, he's nearly 35 and everything for Leeds was going through him and he was making them tick. I still believe Forestieri has that in the locker, he's the one who has the moment of brilliance in the squad and I still think he can return to the form he offered 2-3 years ago. 

He isnt still one of the best players in the division, he cant get in our side. Time to move on

7 minutes ago, York_Owl said:

Yep this goes back to Carlos's first season (if not before).

We need to deine our own playing style and, like you say, we should base it around a 4-3-3.

Agreed. That midfield 3 that played at the weekend has the right balance. I expect more from them as the season progresses but I have confidence that they can dictate games given their talent and if we have willing runners out wide with movement. 

We definitely need some cover in there especially if we continue to play with 3 in the middle.

For me there has to be a decision made about Fessi in the next few days, if he is going to be a bit part player, or used from the bench then maybe we should be looking to sell him, he is into the final 12 months of his contract and a player we once had bids of £12m+ could potentially leave on a free in the summer.

If he is in the managers plans then play him, we play one way away and more attacking at home - Saturday against Barnsley we will revert to 2 in the middle and 2 up front in a 4-4-2 with Fessi playing a free role of the front striker he has proved to be the link up and creative force in the team, often this is where he gets most of his goals.

Guest Ferkorf
22 minutes ago, james o connor said:

Based on what ? 3 good games in 3 years

Based on the fact he is the modern day Carbone with attitude to boot.

If you think hes been good in 3 games then I suggest you attend more

Someone suggested the other day that Reach should move back to left back. They got well and truly panned for it. But I like the idea. I think Forestieri is better suited to the role that Reach played at Reading - he's more likely to get closer to Fletcher and make a second striker in the box. Somehow that role doesn't seem to be suiting Reach - he's going quiet in games when he should be offering a similar threat to Harris. Forestieri would offer much more of a threat.

I actually think Reach would be more comfortable in the full-back role, especially at home. I'd love to see him bombing down the left wing and crossing with his left foot.
If Reach moved to full-back, Palmer could go back to right back and we'd remove our weakest link at the weekend, Odubajo. Thus we'd have more of our best players on the pitch at once and put an end to left back being our problem position. 

None of which should happen until FF has finished his ban or if Reach was needed in midfield because Lee or Hutch got injured.

And before you start, I know Reach gets panned for his lack of defensive qualities but that job is a mix of getting forward as a threat and having the energy to get back into shape, both of which he'd be great at, as well as his actual tackling and heading.

Has it in him but never delivers consistently over a long spell of games. Whilst Fletch is running around constantly and looks determined every game with less natural talent, Fessi is casually jogging most of the time laying casual passes back to bannan from the wing. When his stock was high in the summer after the play-off final we should have sold and re-invested. Not been the same player since he refused to board the coach to Norwich. Seems a nice lad and not having a go at him personally, but on the pitch doesn't do it enough for me. Good sub to bring on and can start on the wing when Harris or Reach are injured. I had him starting at Reading before the news broke of 6 game ban, new season, new start and all that. But there always seems to be something with Fessi. If anyone is willing to pay a good fee i would sell.