Got me thinking......

Since DC took over, four years ago, we’ve reached the play offs in years 1 and 2, and were it not for a horrendous injury crisis in the middle, we may well have done so again last season To my mind, Carlos did well to reach the play offs in year 2, but with a bit more courage, could have gone even further In season 2, we first started to see the injuries, so I think the Portuguese deserves some credit for making the top six, despite the injuries.  Jos then took control of a, still injury ravaged squad, and to be honest, struggled as Carlos did earlier in the year. He wasn’t right for the job, but I do have some sympathy for him, not only with the injuries, but I suspect, politics as well. 

Once Bullen first, and then Bruce, were able to call on pretty much a full squad, it was back to play off form. As a fan base, we are quick to pick up on the mistakes that have been made, and there have been mistakes, but the major issue has been the injury situation. Now we have a full squad available, and with a few additions, we can make the play offs again We don’t need to rip things apart and start again

Glad it’s not just me who remembers the highlights of CC’s time with us, he made a few strange decisions but gets far too much grief in my opinion.

If someone guaranteed we the new manager would produce the next 2 seasons similar to CC’s first 2 - I’d be a very happy man!

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, gurujuan said:

Since DC took over, four years ago, we’ve reached the play offs in years 1 and 2, and were it not for a horrendous injury crisis in the middle, we may well have done so again last season To my mind, Carlos did well to reach the play offs in year 2, but with a bit more courage, could have gone even further In season 2, we first started to see the injuries, so I think the Portuguese deserves some credit for making the top six, despite the injuries.  Jos then took control of a, still injury ravaged squad, and to be honest, struggled as Carlos did earlier in the year. He wasn’t right for the job, but I do have some sympathy for him, not only with the injuries, but I suspect, politics as well. 

Once Bullen first, and then Bruce, were able to call on pretty much a full squad, it was back to play off form. As a fan base, we are quick to pick up on the mistakes that have been made, and there have been mistakes, but the major issue has been the injury situation. Now we have a full squad available, and with a few additions, we can make the play offs again We don’t need to rip things apart and start again

A lot of truth in there, but I cannot forgive Carlos for the shambles of a display against Udders in the semis of the play offs. Shocking tactics. We should have blown them away at Hillsborough after gaining a draw away.

Whoever won that match was going up. Reading were a poor side that over achieved that year, hence Udders promoted.

Carlos should have been sacked then.

6 minutes ago, Dronfield Blue said:

A lot of truth in there, but I cannot forgive Carlos for the shambles of a display against Udders in the semis of the play offs. Shocking tactics. We should have blown them away at Hillsborough after gaining a draw away.

Whoever won that match was going up. Reading were a poor side that over achieved that year, hence Udders promoted.

This^^^^^

5 minutes ago, Dronfield Blue said:

I don’t know why Carlos felt the need to play like we did in year 2.  It was a system that perhaps allowed us to counter a lack of pace, by forming a block in the middle of the park. I hated it, and thought it unnecessary, as for the money we spent that summer, and in January, we could easily have added the pace we lacked. However, we still reached the play offs, despite the negative tactics. My main point though, was that with a fully fit squad, the play offs are doable under any competent manager who resists the temptation to rip things apart

20 minutes ago, gurujuan said:

And we seem to have adopted a fast attacking style of play that doesn't invite pressure on our back line.  There's no knowing what could happen this season.

• Like 1

Read the article published in one of the posh papers ( can’t remember which one) on tactical periodisation. This is Jose and Carlos philosophy. It only works for two season and leaves players absolutelyfucked. It’s why they both never stay anywhere long. Two great seasons but the aftermath is horrendous and someone else’s promble. 

2 minutes ago, gurujuan said:

I don’t know why Carlos felt the need to play like we did in year 2.  It was a system that perhaps allowed us to counter a lack of pace, by forming a block in the middle of the park. I hated it, and thought it unnecessary, as for the money we spent that summer, and in January, we could easily have added the pace we lacked. However, we still reached the play offs, despite the negative tactics. My main point though, was that with a fully fit squad, the play offs are doable under any competent manager who resists the temptation to rip things apart

Agreed, but the performance at Hillsborough second leg was dire. the first leg was bad enough.

Then Rhodes not wanting to take a penalty.............. I'd rather forget it all now.

15 minutes ago, Dronfield Blue said:

This...that first leg was where the damage was done. 0-0 was, on the face of it a decent result. But, the performance was so negative and we looked so fearful that we handed them the psychological advantage and with it the belief they needed. Horrendous management. 

Several key players from 15-17 have since been moved on; Hooper, Loovens, Pudil, Wallace, Hunt, Lopez, Helan.

Several key players from 15-17 are now in their thirties and not at their peak anymore; Lee, Fletcher, Nuhiu, Hutchinson.

Many sides in this division has gone from strength to strength since that era and we haven’t adapted.

Bit daft to think this squad are capable of top 6.  Sadly, without a decent manager and several significant transfer signings, I think we’ll be nowhere near.

Also, once the injuries had cleared up, and some of the more experienced players reinstated, Bruce was able to produce play off form. Now Bruce is a decent manager, but he’s no real tactician, and with the same squad, and no real tactical innovation, he managed to get us firing again. Being able to, and playing your best side, shows that we already have the players here

9 minutes ago, Dronfield Blue said:

Agreed, but the performance at Hillsborough second leg was dire. the first leg was bad enough.

I'd say it was the other way round. That first leg was about as fearful and defensive as any game I can remember us being involved in. Huddersfield should have moved their keeper into midfield as we didn't even pretend we'd be trying to test him.

That was a glorious opportunity squandered because we should have had more than enough for Reading in the final. It would have been tempting to dismiss the manager for that alone, but when the following season started just the same but with poorer results, he did well to survive until Christmas.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Westfield Owl said:

Several key players from 15-17 have since been moved on; Hooper, Loovens, Pudil, Wallace, Hunt, Lopez, Helan.

Several key players from 15-17 are now in their thirties and not at their peak anymore; Lee, Fletcher, Nuhiu, Hutchinson.

Many sides in this division has gone from strength to strength since that era and we haven’t adapted.

Bit daft to think this squad are capable of top 6.  Sadly, without a decent manager and several significant transfer signings, I think we’ll be nowhere near.

All those things are true, but without those key players you mention, we still produced play off form after Christmas

Just now, gurujuan said:

Also, once the injuries had cleared up, and some of the more experienced players reinstated, Bruce was able to produce play off form. Now Bruce is a decent manager, but he’s no real tactician, and with the same squad, and no real tactical innovation, he managed to get us firing again. Being able to, and playing your best side, shows that we already have the players here

Possibly.

I hate people that go off topic, but............

Carlos should have been hung for that performance against Udders second leg.

2 minutes ago, DJMortimer said:

I'd say it was the other way round. That first leg was about as fearful and defensive as any game I can remember us being involved in. Huddersfield should have moved their keeper into midfield as we didn't even pretend we'd be trying to test him.

That was a glorious opportunity squandered because we should have had more than enough for Reading in the final. It would have been tempting to dismiss the manager for that alone, but when the following season started just the same but with poorer results, he did well to survive until Christmas.

It was dire, you are right. It didn't improve much in the second leg.

As you say a glorious opportunity squandered. I don't hold any personal malice against Carlos, I quite liked him.

If I met him, I would have to tell him what a crap job he did in the play offs against Udders. I'm sure he'd understand.

4 minutes ago, gurujuan said:

You should know, he gave you the reason often enough -"Compact." He hated us playing with width form the wide midfielders as he thought it left us exposed so he had his left and right mids playing narrow, that and the opposition had us sussed. They knew our width in the first season was provided by our fullbacks playing high up the pitch which turned us into a back 3 with Hutch naturally dropping deep into (almost) a centre back position. The likes of Bannan, Lee, Wallace and FF would then play between the lines and pop up all over the shop it was a flipping pleasure to watch at times.. All that changed second season when teams put plans into place to stop our fullbacks (who were key to the system) and turned it into a weakness by exploiting the space left behind them. For my money Warnock was the first to suss it in late in CC's first season when his Rotherham side did a proper job on us at Hillsborough.