Norwich Rhodes Bid

8 minutes ago, oh_weds_we_love_you said:

No other Utd striker got anywhere near Sharp’s tally.

Where did I say we need 20 goals from Rhodes and that’s us up? lol

We need a f*cking manager first before we can even talk about promotion!!

For me our best formation is 4-3-3 and that cant include Rhodes.

Only way we can include Rhodes is 4-4-2 and we just can not play that way and remain difficult to beat. 

Rhodes came off for Lee in a recently friendly and we won the game. 

Now this is not because of him its because of what happens to us in a 4-4-2.

So that's why it's a No for Rhodes for me not because I dont like him but because we have to sacrifice as a team to fit him in.

And I also moan about Forestieri and Joao for the same reasons.

We need a solid team not a set of good individuals.

Edited by pazowl55

2 minutes ago, gurujuan said:

Mate, there’s no one who feels more let down than me, that we actually signed him, the biggest waste of money in all my time watching Wednesday. When we were first linked with him, I thought, there’s no way this guy is going to adapt to the modern game, and so it’s proved.  However, I would love him to prove me wrong, and if he wants a role model, look no further than Billy Blunt

Here’s hoping pal. We’ve discussed before about Rhodes not being able to adapt and we have different options. But one thing we can agree on is your last sentence!

@DJMortimer would be f*cking suicidal if that was to happen mind! lol 

5 minutes ago, DJMortimer said:

Well the bids we have so far total less than we'd get for selling a pasty on the concourse.

:biggrin:

If you paint half the picture and forget the £5m in wages we’d save as a result, then yeah you’d be right!

But If we do sell/loan there will be a decent fee involved, like the last £2m we got for loaning him out!

Rhodes seems a great guy, but turns 30 in feb and the contract we gave him was insane. No one else was queuing up to offer the money we did. In terms of money our worse signing ever. Unfortunately, as he is a nice guy, I don’t think we’ll ever see him bang goals in consistently at this level. Injuries have taken there toll. That’s why Norwich offered FA. 

5 minutes ago, pazowl55 said:

For me our best formation is 4-3-3 and that cant include Rhodes.

Only way we can include Rhodes is 4-4-2 and we just can not play that way and remain difficult to beat. 

Rhodes came off for Lee in a recently friendly and we won the game. 

Now this is not because of him its because of what happens to us in a 4-4-2.

So that's why it's a No for Rhodes for me not because I dont like him but because we have to sacrifice as a team to fit him in.

And I also moan about Forestieri and Joao for the same reasons.

We need a solid team not a set of good individuals.

Absolutely, we go 433 and Rhodes has to go.

Just now, oh_weds_we_love_you said:

You’re good at ignoring parts of the conversation. Makes for a lame debate though.

Most of your points are speculative special pleading based on what might happen if a manager or club did this or that. That's not a debate; that's a desperate fantasy constructed out of mist. What would be the difference between this and arguing back in 1999 that Andy Booth would score loads in the Premier League on the basis that he'd got plenty of goals a few years before and that it was everyone else's fault that he hadn't?

Apparently Rhodes "guarantees goals" TM, so where are they? It's true that his arrival coincided with a more defensive approach (notwithstanding your delusions about a lone front role which we've only really adopted infrequently until recently) but every other forward we've had has scored at a better rate than him. Even Marco Matias who wasn't really a striker anyway. The chances they get aren't qualitatively or quantitatively different. The goals don't move and they don't have a special ball. Yet every shot he's scuffed wide or header he's dropped weakly into the keeper's chest has been because our wingers aren't up to much, or the manager's too dour, or the crowd have been too critical.

30 minutes ago, oh_weds_we_love_you said:

Sadly Joao had the same issue Rhodes had at Norwich - struggled to hold down a place on the first team. Difference is, Rhodes’ competition was the best in the league, Joao’s was way off that standard.

I'm not sure what point you're trying to make here now. Your exact words regarding Rhodes' goals per minute ratio last season were "wonder when we last had a striker at the club with that tally in the Championship". To which my answer was Joao, who scored more than Rhodes last season and sustained the ratio over more playing time, in a midtable side that wasn't as attacking and he didnt have the best team in the league creating for him like Rhodes did. Therefore he had a far more impressive record/tally/ratio, which answered your question,  plus he's a hell of a lot cheaper as well. 

11 minutes ago, oh_weds_we_love_you said:

If you paint half the picture and forget the £5m in wages we’d save as a result, then yeah you’d be right!

But If we do sell/loan there will be a decent fee involved, like the last £2m we got for loaning him out!

The debate here is about what Rhodes is perceived as being worth, not how much we'd save. It's common knowledge we have a significant financial problem and that the player is potentially amenable to going elsewhere due to the competition here, yet only one club apparently has even kicked the tyres. And they value him so highly that they want to spend nothing on a transfer and at a lower level last season omitted him entirely from more league games (10) than he started (9). It's true that the number of clubs who might entertain a competitive salary for him is somewhat limited, but for someone of the brilliance you suggest in the most sought after commodity in the game, the lack of interest is startling. It seems the consensus is that he is not worth that kind of money and/or is no longer very good. 

14 minutes ago, alanharper said:

I'm not sure what point you're trying to make here now. Your exact words regarding Rhodes' goals per minute ratio last season were "wonder when we last had a striker at the club with that tally in the Championship". To which my answer was Joao, who scored more than Rhodes last season and sustained the ratio over more playing time, in a midtable side that wasn't as attacking and he didnt have the best team in the league creating for him like Rhodes did. Therefore he had a far more impressive record/tally/ratio, which answered your question,  plus he's a hell of a lot cheaper as well. 

As the statistics on the previous page demonstrate all too clearly, for both goals and assists, much the same applies to no fewer than 7 other forwards who have been at the club since Rhodes arrived. He is saved solely by his exploits from 2015 and before which are fading into distant memory. 

Rhodes doesn't even want to play for us.

Get him off the wage bill. He's taken the p155 ever since he's been here.

Abject waste of money and a poor  wimp of a professional

boo hoo f'kin hoo, I daren't take a penalty.... boo hoo... I only get paid thousands per week for doing just that....boo f'kin hoo

get rid, or someone stop pampering him, tell him to grow some balls and start to earn his money.

15 minutes ago, quinnssweetshop said:

boo hoo f'kin hoo, I daren't take a penalty.... boo hoo... I only get paid thousands per week for doing just that....boo f'kin hoo

get rid, or someone stop pampering him, tell him to grow some balls and start to earn his money.

Cue Rhodes hat-trick including a penalty vs Reading lol

• Haha 2

5 hours ago, oh_weds_we_love_you said:

As a side note before I hit the sack, I’m dismayed people are saying 29 (30 next year - it’s only just turned August!) is old. Also that Rhodes was more of a waste than Abdi!!

lol 

Because Abdi fee was half the Rhodes one 

1 hour ago, quinnssweetshop said:

bang on this he shot his load when refusing to take penalty against old team. Scumbag move that.

7 hours ago, ... said:

Rhodes as looked like a different player since he as come back, maybe a year away was what he needed? Rowett must be thinking he can get something out of him, you don't go from scoring 30 a season to fizz all for no reason.

He did that once in 2011/2012.

6 hours ago, DJMortimer said:

The debate here is about what Rhodes is perceived as being worth, not how much we'd save. It's common knowledge we have a significant financial problem and that the player is potentially amenable to going elsewhere due to the competition here, yet only one club apparently has even kicked the tyres. And they value him so highly that they want to spend nothing on a transfer and at a lower level last season omitted him entirely from more league games (10) than he started (9). It's true that the number of clubs who might entertain a competitive salary for him is somewhat limited, but for someone of the brilliance you suggest in the most sought after commodity in the game, the lack of interest is startling. It seems the consensus is that he is not worth that kind of money and/or is no longer very good. 

Quite right. I was just going to say, if he is so bl##dy good and prolific why does nobody want him?

• Like 1

8 hours ago, oh_weds_we_love_you said:

I said Rhodes has suffered from playing for defensive managers the last 4 years and he’s been shunted as a lone striker - I don’t recall saying the latter was with us (it was with Boro). The “defensive managers” but covered us.

Lees was crap in a back 3. Whether that was down to be asked to do something that he wasn’t good at (see Jordan Rhodes!) or the system, we don’t know,

Sharp does, yes. He was still considered washed up before Wilder came to United and he then played to Sharps strengths and bang, fires United to the Premier League from League One.

“He's been under 3 managers who are known for theirdefensive-minded football and often like playing with a lone striker. We know Rhodes isn't effective as a lone striker. I fail to see why anyone wouldjudge Rhodes in a set up that he struggle with.”

Sorry mate, I can’t possibly see how that can be read any different to  “Rhodes has often been played as the lone striker under defensive managers”

Lees was not crap in a back 3 in Jos’ first season, where he had Vennancio and Puduil to pass the ball out for him and  probably more importantly he played in a settled unit. Second season under Jos and it’s anyone guess as to a back 3, 4 or 5 from one game to the next or the make up of it. Lees was  playing poorly in either a back 3/4/5 until Bruce arrived. 

No idea if Sharp was considered washed up or not. Not really my bag that one.

Edited by Walt